Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ScottsoNJ
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Kitkat?

Just got my new LG G2. Everything working fine. Got it set up using Straight Talk. Data and mms fine. Software shows 4.2.2. When I go to software updates it checks and says "up to date". I thought the G2 got 4.4. Am I doing something wrong? New to Android coming from 3 years on Windows phone. Thanks

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    1,228 Global Posts
    ROM
    SimpleAOSP & Hells-Core

Default Re: Kitkat?

Quote Originally Posted by mary beth hale View Post
    Just got my new LG G2. Everything working fine. Got it set up using Straight Talk. Data and mms fine. Software shows 4.2.2. When I go to software updates it checks and says "up to date". I thought the G2 got 4.4. Am I doing something wrong? New to Android coming from 3 years on Windows phone. Thanks

Which G2? Is it carrier locked or the international version?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 using Tapatalk
    Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on AT&T (SimpleAOSP/hells-Core Kernel/LTE)
    Current Work Phone: LG G2 VS980 on VZW (Snuzzo's Plain-Andy ROM)
    Current Tablet: iPad 4/Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
    Other phones "in the family": HTC One (M7), Moto G GPE, LG G2
    Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria/Incredible 2/Rezound/DNA, Samsung Stratosphere, SGS2 Skyrocket, Nextbook 8P
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

lg g2 d802 unlocked, unbranded international
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Any way to get this to 4.4?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kitkat?-screenshot_2014-07-08-06-45-28.jpg  

I don't know if it has been fixed. I am also on Straight Talk ( At&t side) when I got the update I could not fill in the APN type because it was grayed out so mms would not work. I wound up rooting,installing a custom recovery flashing back to JB and flashed a KitKat based rom.
    Thanked by:

you can check this out and learn about how to if you decide that's what you would like to do
    LG G2 - xda-developers
    Thanked by:

Mary try downloading LG pc suite to pc connecting g2 and see if it's available that way
    Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by ScottsoNJ View Post
    I don't know if it has been fixed. I am also on Straight Talk ( At&t side) when I got the update I could not fill in the APN type because it was grayed out so mms would not work. I wound up rooting,installing a custom recovery flashing back to JB and flashed a KitKat based rom.
    I'm hoping that's not the case for me since this is unbranded international version.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by chrisnutt View Post
    Mary try downloading LG pc suite to pc connecting g2 and see if it's available that way
    Actually read something about that today. Will give it a try

Good luck hope it works for you
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

thanks to everyone who responded to my question. btw...absolutely love this phone! still no kitkat update available for this phone. not sure why but have decided to just enjoy/learn about my phone for awhile and quit obsessing about the update. interesting though...playing around with it and i find an installed app called "my wind" (in spanish/wind mobile maybe?))) and an installed app called "lg assistant" (in russian?). bought this phone on ebay
    and clearly it is not factory unlocked. could this be the problem and if so, anything i can change? my fault for looking for the cheapest price. phone is beautiful, though.

Global Posts
    1,228 Global Posts
    ROM
    SimpleAOSP & Hells-Core

thanks to everyone who responded to my question. btw...absolutely love this phone! still no kitkat update available for this phone. not sure why but have decided to just enjoy/learn about my phone for awhile and quit obsessing about the update. interesting though...playing around with it and i find an installed app called "my wind" (in spanish/wind mobile maybe?))) and an installed app called "lg assistant" (in russian?). bought this phone on ebay
    and clearly it is not factory unlocked. could this be the problem and if so, anything i can change? my fault for looking for the cheapest price. phone is beautiful, though.
    Yes, this could be the issue if it is (or was) carrier locked many phones will not update without a mobile data connection to that carrier, even once unlocked... Although if it was locked I don't see how a ST SIM would work at all.

You may be stuck with manually flashing the d802 generic ROM image to clear up the issue and get it back to truly stock.
    Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on AT&T (SimpleAOSP/hells-Core Kernel/LTE)
    Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria/Incredible 2/Rezound/DNA, Samsung Stratosphere, SGS2 Skyrocket, Nextbook 8P
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

update: had a friend look at the phone and found out it is "rooted". probably why i can't get system update. this was supposed to be a new phone but i don't think a "new" phone can be rooted. interesting. got it from a large hong kong based company on ebay. have emailed the seller.

Global Posts
    1,228 Global Posts
    ROM
    SimpleAOSP & Hells-Core

update: had a friend look at the phone and found out it is "rooted". probably why i can't get system update. this was supposed to be a new phone but i don't think a "new" phone can be rooted. interesting. got it from a large hong kong based company on ebay. have emailed the seller.
    That phone is not "new" if it is rooted... Not sure what to say, I went through something similar with SGS2 a while back, sold as new but had a custom recovery installed, the sent me a second one and it would not take an OTA update, I finally returned it and bought a Nexus 4 from Google.

Hope your experience is better than mine... :/
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    119 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chrisnutt View Post
    Hello all. I'm in this same dilemma. My phone is not rooted, but is unlocked. Originally AT&T but now on MetroPCS. I've downloaded the above program, but I guess I don't know what i'm doing because I can't get this to force an update. My previous phone had certain apps that need KitKat and I can't run them now (so I kinda need to obsess over it lol)
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

wish i could help but i'm pretty clueless about this stuff. i did download the LG pc suite. it recognized my phone, said update was available, downloaded the update but couldn't install it. i'm assuming because it's rooted, which i didn't know at the time. good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcdebb View Post
    Hello all. I'm in this same dilemma. My phone is not rooted, but is unlocked. Originally AT&T but now on MetroPCS. I've downloaded the above program, but I guess I don't know what i'm doing because I can't get this to force an update. My previous phone had certain apps that need KitKat and I can't run them now (so I kinda need to obsess over it lol)
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

i wasn't clear...it is unlocked.works fine(data and mms) with a straight talk at&t sim. i meant i don't think it was new(factory) unlocked. now i need to decide if i should "unroot". don't really have any need for root access. is SuperSU the easiest way to do that? it's already installed on the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
    Yes, this could be the issue if it is (or was) carrier locked many phones will not update without a mobile data connection to that carrier, even once unlocked... Although if it was locked I don't see how a ST SIM would work at all.

You may be stuck with manually flashing the d802 generic ROM image to clear up the issue and get it back to truly stock.

i wasn't clear...it is unlocked.works fine(data and mms) with a straight talk at&t sim. i meant i don't think it was new(factory) unlocked. now i need to decide if i should "unroot". don't really have any need for root access. is SuperSU the easiest way to do that? it's already installed on the phone.
    Yes you can try it that way. But if it is rooted and you decide to keep the phone why not leave it rooted? By having it rooted you can install apps like Titanium BackUp and BackUp Pro ( paid version) and freeze apps that might be running that you would never use. Do you also know if you have a custom recovery installed?
    Thanked by:
    mary beth hale likes this.

Global Posts
    119 Global Posts

when i downloaded the suite it said it couldnt connect to the server. it tried to update the actual program, but never actually did, as it kept doing it every time i started the program. Not only that, I would lose my keyboard (could not type anything) so I had to reboot) i went thru this over and over again, so i gave up.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

my only issue with being rooted is that i can't seem to get kitkat. when i check for updates it says phone is up-to-date at 4.2.2.the phone works well except for some stuttering when scrolling. can i get kitkat since it is rooted? assume i need to get that over at xda site. don't know if it has custom recovery installed. i absolutely love this phone and would like to use it at its full potential so any help would be appreciated.
    Yes you can try it that way. But if it is rooted and you decide to keep the phone why not leave it rooted? By having it rooted you can install apps like Titanium BackUp and BackUp Pro ( paid version) and freeze apps that might be running that you would never use. Do you also know if you have a custom recovery installed?

my only issue with being rooted is that i can't seem to get kitkat. when i check for updates it says phone is up-to-date at 4.2.2.the phone works well except for some stuttering when scrolling. can i get kitkat since it is rooted? assume i need to get that over at xda site. don't know if it has custom recovery installed. i absolutely love this phone and would like to use it at its full potential so any help would be appreciated.
    This is for your specific model LG G2
    G2 Android Development (D802) - xda-developers
    Thanked by:
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

i'm going to start learning how to take advantage of my rooted lg g2 when i have a day off next week. fingers crossed i don't brick it. thanks so much for the info!
    This is for your specific model LG G2
    G2 Android Development (D802) - xda-developers

i'm going to start learning how to take advantage of my rooted lg g2 when i have a day off next week. fingers crossed i don't brick it. thanks so much for the info!
    Just do lots or reading. After getting done read it a 2nd time. If you are ever stuck and not sure look for an answer at XDA. Don't ever guess. That's how a lot phones get bricked. Good luck and glad I could help
    Thanked by: