Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By acejavelin
  • 2 Post By JJ Jones
  • 1 Post By acejavelin
  • 1 Post By Raun14
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default UI update on G2

Do you think the g2's ui will update to the g3's at all. The g2s ui desperately needs to update. I've tried all I can to customize my phone without rooting because of the various risks but, there is no way I'm going to get rid of that atrociously grey notification bar, and that ugly looking notification panel. Samsung's and HTCs update there ui. I know they want more people to buy the g3. But they need to please there past customers so they can continue to buy there phones in the future. Most of us are tied to a two year contract.

I personally believe they will update the ui with the Android L update. It would be easier for LG to optimize only one ui for the L update and then spread it to there other capable phones. Anybody agree or disagree? Any other predictions? Share what you think below.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    1,137 Global Posts
    ROM
    Purity with Hells-Core

Quote Originally Posted by OrpheusOreo View Post
    Do you think the g2's ui will update to the g3's at all. The g2s ui desperately needs to update. I've tried all I can to customize my phone without rooting because of the various risks but, there is no way I'm going to get rid of that atrociously grey notification bar, and that ugly looking notification panel. Samsung's and HTCs update there ui. I know they want more people to buy the g3. But they need to please there past customers so they can continue to buy there phones in the future. Most of us are tied to a two year contract.

I personally believe they will update the ui with the Android L update. It would be easier for LG to optimize only one ui for the L update and then spread it to there other capable phones. Anybody agree or disagree? Any other predictions? Share what you think below.

Lg doesn't really have a history of updating the UI with an Android or system update, the UI is usually relatively unchanged over the life of the device, although if we get L all bets are off, but I would imagine they will just modify the current UI just enough to make it work. Honestly, I would just consider flashing a custom rom, then do whatever you want.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 using Tapatalk
    Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on Cricket/Aio (Purity ROM with hells-Core Kernel)
    Current Work Phone: LG G2 VS980 on VZW (AICP 6.0 ROM)
    Current Tablet: iPad 4/Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
    Other phones "in the family": HTC One (M7), Moto G GPE, LG G2
    Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria/Incredible 2/Rezound/DNA, Samsung Stratosphere, SGS2 Skyrocket, Nextbook 8P
    mumfoau likes this.

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts

Default Re: UI update on G2

I had the lucid which had a full skin overhaul when it went from 2.3 to 4.0 so I think there's a good chance when we're updated to L.

4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
    Lg doesn't really have a history of updating the UI with an Android or system update, the UI is usually relatively unchanged over the life of the device, although if we get L all bets are off, but I would imagine they will just modify the current UI just enough to make it work. Honestly, I would just consider flashing a custom rom, then do whatever you want.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 using Tapatalk
    I guess. But I'll wait until Android L to decide if I will root by phone or not.

Global Posts
    1,137 Global Posts
    ROM
    Purity with Hells-Core

I guess. But I'll wait until Android L to decide if I will root by phone or not.

OK, its your phone... Mine was rooted in less than 24 hours after getting it, and custom ROMs within a week. The G2 development community is very strong, there are probably 40 different ROMs for it, everything from pure AOSP to fully loaded with every imaginable add-on.

That's not to say its for everyone, I have had issues and had to restore to the factory images a few times, but why the hold off on rooting?
    Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on Cricket/Aio (Purity ROM with hells-Core Kernel)
    Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria/Incredible 2/Rezound/DNA, Samsung Stratosphere, SGS2 Skyrocket, Nextbook 8P
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
    OK, its your phone... Mine was rooted in less than 24 hours after getting it, and custom ROMs within a week. The G2 development community is very strong, there are probably 40 different ROMs for it, everything from pure AOSP to fully loaded with every imaginable add-on.

That's not to say its for everyone, I have had issues and had to restore to the factory images a few times, but why the hold off on rooting?
    Well there are so many dangers in rooting your phone

Well there are so many dangers in rooting your phone

No, rooting isn't dangerous. Lack of knowledge with a rooted phone is dangerous.
    As long as you take the time to learn what roots allows you to do, make a backup before making changes, then read everything again, having root on your phone is no more dangerous than connecting it to WiFi.

Thanked by:
    mumfoau and acejavelin like this.

Global Posts
    1,137 Global Posts
    ROM
    Purity with Hells-Core

Quote Originally Posted by JJ Jones View Post
    No, rooting isn't dangerous. Lack of knowledge with a rooted phone is dangerous.
    As long as you take the time to learn what roots allows you to do, make a backup before making changes, then read everything again, having root on your phone is no more dangerous than connecting it to WiFi.

This... Exactly... Rooting your device does nothing but give you read/write access to the system files, there is no danger in rooting at all, but uneducated use of root access can be dangerous, although with the G2 a couple mouse clicks and you can restore to out of box stock in a few minutes, which also removes the root/modified flags in the phone for warranty purposes. The G2 us nearly unbrickable unless you do something really stupid.
    mumfoau likes this.

The lg viper 4G LTE got an updated UI when it went to 4.0 so there is a possibility
    Thanked by:
    OrpheusOreo likes this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by Raun14 View Post
    The lg viper 4G LTE got an updated UI when it went to 4.0 so there is a possibility
    I sure hope so

Do you think the g2's ui will update to the g3's at all. The g2s ui desperately needs to update. I've tried all I can to customize my phone without rooting because of the various risks but, there is no way I'm going to get rid of that atrociously grey notification bar, and that ugly looking notification panel.
    Yes, a UI update would be nice and I don't feel like rooting either. I'm pretty happy now though with Smart Launcher Pro or Nova Prime plus hiding status bar and cleaning up notification panel as much as possible by unchecking allow notifications on noisy apps, removing Q-slide, etc.

12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by MikeG2 View Post
    Yes, a UI update would be nice and I don't feel like rooting either. I'm pretty happy now though with Smart Launcher Pro or Nova Prime plus hiding status bar and cleaning up notification panel as much as possible by unchecking allow notifications on noisy apps, removing Q-slide, etc.

Hey you realize you can remove qslide from the panel without root. Just uncheck it in the quick settings.