How can I stop the sync between Outlook contacts & phone?

kushka13

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Stop sync btwn Outlook contacts & phone

This week Outlook had a software update and now all of the email addresses in Outlook (a few good and mostly bad) have landed in my phone contacts. It is super annoying and a huge time waster scrolling through all these email addresses to get to a phone number. I tried deleting the emails in the contacts individually but the next time I go in the app, the addresses are all back. Does anyone know how to turn off the sync between Outlook and my LG G2 Phone? Thanks.

amer369

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
Same thing happened to me. I think it's down to a poorly developed app by Microsoft . The all started adding addresses that I had set up on my block list to stop spam. Why I'd need them in my contact list I don't know!

Anyway, sorted it out today. What you need to do is:

1. Delete the outlook/Hotmail account.
2. Restart phone
3. Add the outlook account again and as soon as you do go to your phone settings> Accounts and select the Microsoft exchange account and deselect any syncing apart from mail
4. You may also have another account under outlook. Go into that and deselect the sync in that too. As far as I know the outlook account doesn't deal with your email account (sounds odd I know). Mail is synced under the exchange account.

If you look at your contacts after that.. You should see it alot cleaner.

Goodluck

Posted via the Android Central App

amer369

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: Stop sync btwn Outlook contacts & phone

Ignore all above... They've updated the app. But it still stinks. You have no control over whether you want email contacts to appear in the Contacts.

I had one Hotmail account and yahoo account registered with the outlook app. And now my contacts are full of email contacts I had in there that I don't need in my contacts app.

Think I'll just switch over to the Gmail app completely for all the accounts.

Posted via the Android Central App

fwd105

Oct 13, 2016
Visit site
Re: How can I stop the sync between Outlook contacts & phone?

Had the same problem, very upsetting but I figure it out.

1) As Amer369 suggested go to Settings<Accounts<Select Outlook and cancel sync.
2) Go to contacts where you should still see outlook contacts showing up.
3) In contacts press the menu button and select Accounts, select Outlook then click Remove Account (Sync should already be off). You'll get a warning but ignore, click okay and watch the contacts disappear.

Still trying to figure out how to remove the contacts copied into the Outlook app but that's not much of an issue atm. Will update when solved.

kitkat_kitkat

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site

I had a Nexus 6P when this problem first started happening and I just set up my Pixel XL and I'm still having this problem, but I found the solution and wanted to post it, even though this wasn't happening on an LG for me. I just thought this might be helpful. The contacts my Outlook Exchange account was syncing were strictly email addresses that I seemed to have used a long time ago, but it was thousands of them that I didn't want on my phone at all. I kept looking on Outlook thinking there must be a folder of some sort where all these contacts are being stored and if I could eliminate that folder, then there wouldn't be any Exchange contacts to sync. I found out that there were two contact folders in my Outlook, a regular contacts folder and a Suggested Contacts folder. It was the Suggested Contacts folder that had all these email addresses in it and apparently this was something that Outlook 2010 had incorporated, but they stopped doing that after 2010. So even though I have Outlook 2013 at work, when I upgraded, it just carried that folder along, even though no contacts had been added since I had that version of Outlook. To have the chance to look over all these addresses in case I needed any, I created a new temp folder called something else and I copied all those addresses in there. Then I deleted the Suggested Contacts folder. I then deleted the Exchange account from my phone and reinstalled it again. It synced my email again, WITHOUT THE CONTACTS!!! So that was the issue. Check for a Suggested Contacts folder in Outlook and see if what is in it is what is syncing on your phone with your regular contacts. If it is, just get rid of that folder and that should take care of it. I'm so relieved. This was driving me nuts. :) Hope this helps.

Last edited:

KCLSD

May 6, 2014
Visit site

You're saying you deleted (or moved) a folder on your computer, not something that was on your phone?

mhathaway

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site

I had a Nexus 6P when this problem first started happening and I just set up my Pixel XL and I'm still having this problem, but I found the solution and wanted to post it, even though this wasn't happening on an LG for me. I just thought this might be helpful. The contacts my Outlook Exchange account was syncing were strictly email addresses that I seemed to have used a long time ago, but it was thousands of them that I didn't want on my phone at all. I kept looking on Outlook thinking there must be a folder of some sort where all these contacts are being stored and if I could eliminate that folder, then there wouldn't be any Exchange contacts to sync. I found out that there were two contact folders in my Outlook, a regular contacts folder and a Suggested Contacts folder. It was the Suggested Contacts folder that had all these email addresses in it and apparently this was something that Outlook 2010 had incorporated, but they stopped doing that after 2010. So even though I have Outlook 2013 at work, when I upgraded, it just carried that folder along, even though no contacts had been added since I had that version of Outlook. To have the chance to look over all these addresses in case I needed any, I created a new temp folder called something else and I copied all those addresses in there. Then I deleted the Suggested Contacts folder. I then deleted the Exchange account from my phone and reinstalled it again. It synced my email again, WITHOUT THE CONTACTS!!! So that was the issue. Check for a Suggested Contacts folder in Outlook and see if what is in it is what is syncing on your phone with your regular contacts. If it is, just get rid of that folder and that should take care of it. I'm so relieved. This was driving me nuts. :) Hope this helps.

This worked for me with one tweak. I had to log into my Outlook Web App in the browser to find the suggested contacts list to delete but deleting it there seems to have worked.

Thanks for the tip!

spammymcjunk

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site

Hell yeah, thank you. It was driving me nuts as well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995