WIFI won't connect unless screen is on

bigzdog

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I have a problem with my LG G2 D800 where it will not connect to wifi unless the screen is on.

Example: I arrive at home with phone, get on PC, log onto my router and monitor wireless clients. Phone screen still off. No phone on wifi. An hour later there is still no phone on wifi. I then turn on phone screen, I can see no wifi icon in top bar. After a second, wifi icon shows and connects and router shows the client.

I also have this same issue at work. As I walk around the building that is covered by different wireless APs, the phone will disconnect, then never reconnect to wifi until I turn the screen on.

During this time I am getting email notifications so it would still be using mobile data.

Tested with CM12.1 several different nightlies. Also with SlimSaber several versions and all perform the same.

I can very reliably cause this by connecting my phone to wifi, start ping to phone ip, then rebooting router. With these roms it will never connect to wifi without turning screen on. With CloudyG2 3.3 rom it will reconnect after a minute of router coming back up. Also my old Atrix HD and Asus TF201 connect quickly also.

I have taken it back to stock with Supersport's method. I then used Ioroot and AutoRec

I then tested with a full wipe of everything except internal storage and clean install of these roms. Kept all default settings and did NOT sign into Google, so no apps were restored/downloaded. Nothing running except what comes with the ROM and still have this issue.

I captured a logcat and below is the timeline.

Phone connected to wifi then screen turned off. Start ping

6:11 pm rebooted router - pings drop
6:12 pm router back online and other wireless devices connected
6:18 pm still no response from phone
6:23 pm turn screen on - see wifi connect - ping starts responding

Logcat attached

Attachments

• logcat.wifi.wont.connect.txt.zip
    110.5 KB · Views: 7

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. In settings>wifi>menu>advanced wifi, do you have keep wifi on when screen is off checked?

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Have you gone into your wifi settings and told it to not shut off the wifi when screen is off?

Go to wifi settings, click the 3 dots on the top right, go to Advanced. "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" should be set to Always. If it's set to Never, it will turn off wifi when the screen goes off.

bigzdog

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Yes it is set to always which is the default on all roms I have tested. The WIFI has no problems staying connected with the screen off, as long as I stay in range it will stay connected. It is only when not connected and the screen off, it will never connect until screen is turned on. Like when I come home it will not connect to wifi until the screen is turned on. Even several hours after I got home.

bigzdog

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I did find this in Nexus forum so it looks like it may be a global Google issue. EDIT: Looks like I can't share since I can't post links. Oh well its on XDA

AdrianFloresF

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I Have had this problem too on my Nexus 5 ever since I bought it a little over a year ago. I was never able to figure it out, perhaps the post you saw was mine. Please, let us know here if you manage to sort it out.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084