Sprint G3 Specs Leaked

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
This may sound like a stupid question, but what's the point of adding more PPI each and every phone generation. I understand the need for newer and better screen technology, but the unaided eye can only see about 300 ppi, and a perfect eye can only see 400 ppi.

I fail to see the point of adding more and more PPI considering it's more a battery drain and requires more GPU processing. Why not aim towards bigger batteries instead of screen PPI? IMO, processing speed and ram and screen technology have basically hit their peak, but battery power has not. Technology should be more emphasized on energy utilization and better battery management rather than "peak" processing or PPI. I personally believe processors and ram have basically hit the wall for most users similar to most desktops/laptops CPUs, ram, GPUs etc. The "revolution" is basically over.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I read the newer processors like the Snapdragon 801 and 805 are supposed to help battery life while giving more power, I think it's to offset the addition of more ppi or these 2k and 4k displays.

I agree on the battery front still. I haven't had a device last 2 work days since my blackberry days, but BlackBerry never had this much power.

MrSlippery519

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I read the newer processors like the Snapdragon 801 and 805 are supposed to help battery life while giving more power, I think it's to offset the addition of more ppi or these 2k and 4k displays.

I agree on the battery front still. I haven't had a device last 2 work days since my blackberry days, but BlackBerry never had this much power.

My wife gets 2 days out of her G2 pretty consistently, I wouldn't call her a power user but she is certainly above average for usage. If the G3 can match or exceed the G2's already impressive battery life I will be happy

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I really do not think the G3 will have a 5.5" display, seems like it would be to close to the G Pro 2. I would think they want to keep a similar relationship as Samsung with the S5 and Note.

Everything else seems easy, Snap 805 will be in it and 3gb ram for sure. I am hoping for a 5.3" 2K display, same form factor as the G2.
G Pro 2 is like 6", so even at 5.5", that is a pretty big size gap.
I gathered up some info by browsing, and this is what I came to-
1. The 800 is used just for the test unit. Final will be 801 or 805.
2. An unmentioned detail is waterproof and dust-proof.
3. Another unmentioned detail is the fingerprint scanner.
It looks like the G3 will be the dream smartphone: First of all, it catches up on the competition's gimmicks (water-dust-proof, fingerprint), and then it makes advancements of its own. That way the customer doesn't regret not having the cool features the competition has, and also has some of his own to gloat about.
IMO, this thing will be an S5,Z2,M8 KILLER.
P.S. To people complaining about the cheap feeling of the phone, then:
1. Almost no bezel, so the front material doesn't really matter.
2. You almost always have a case on, so sides and back doesn't matter.
I don't think water/dust proof is a gimmick. I think that is a genuinely useful feature that I look forward to becoming the norm on phones. Every time a thread comes up taking a poll on if people use cases on their phone or not, its a pretty even split. There is a large portion (approx half) that do not use cases so they care what their phone feels like. I am one of those people. I buy insurance because I hate the bulk that cases add.

I don't care how much more efficient the processor is, I'd rather have the extra battery life from sticking at 1080 vs. going 2k. There is no way for a smartphone battery to last too long. I killed the battery of my Note 3 in 8 hours yesterday because I had 5 hours screen on time in that 8 hours. If you do a large amount of work on your phone, you can't have enough battery.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Having a more more efficient processor to extend battery life is something you don't care about, yet you want more battery life?

If future phones start going the 2k way, ya might as well get a GS5 and a spare battery now before more upgrades ensue

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
If something gets better battery life even with a 2k screen, they'd get even BETTER better battery life with a 1080p screen (assuming the same LCD technology anyway). Not to mention better/faster graphic performance. I can see that myself, I'd rather get an advanced 1080p screen over a 2k screen. I don't have any 2k media, nor any way of obtaining any right now.

leroybrute

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
The people that have issues with a 5.5" screen can just buy the G3 mini.
I bet money the G3 with a 5.5" screen will be no bigger than the S5. I compared my G2 to the S5 yesterday and the S5 is about 1/4" taller and an 1/8" wider than my G2.
I want a 5.5" screen when I go pick up my new G3, especially if they keep overall size under the S5's size.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
P.S. To people complaining about the cheap feeling of the phone, then:
2. You almost always have a case on, so sides and back doesn't matter.

Maybe it's just me, but I almost never have a case on any of my phones, so the way it feels in the hand is a pretty big deal to me

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

marrzie

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
It's just you. In fact there was a double blind, university tested control group where it was determined that 95% off all smartphone owners use a case. That's what the dudes at the Samsung forums told me anyways. Just playing. I don't like using cases myself.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

MrSlippery519

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
The people that have issues with a 5.5" screen can just buy the G3 mini.
I bet money the G3 with a 5.5" screen will be no bigger than the S5. I compared my G2 to the S5 yesterday and the S5 is about 1/4" taller and an 1/8" wider than my G2.
I want a 5.5" screen when I go pick up my new G3, especially if they keep overall size under the S5's size.

I have no issue with any screen size however it the phone is bigger than the S5 for me that is a deal breaker regardless of specs. I feel the G2 is about the perfect size for a "normal" smart phone anything larger starts getting into Note territory but again thats just my view. The S5 feels clunky to me

I would be okay with a very slight bump in physical size, maybe a touch thinner at the same time.

CaptainKidd

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Maybe it's just me, but I almost never have a case on any of my phones, so the way it feels in the hand is a pretty big deal to me

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

Same. I don't know why people always say material doesn't matter. I know many folks, including myself, that don't like cases. One of the big reasons I chose the M8 over the S5. I'm interested to see how this phone performs with a 1440x2560 display though!

kingmac38

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
@bigballer the revolution is not close to being done. ... the next set of soc after the 805 are 64 bit which will allow twice the computing in one cycle allowing the companies to lower clock speed. ..less heat generated less power consumption. ..faster ram and gpu ..better battery life from all this ..its coming maybe note 4 but the technology is being developed ....lg has their own inhouse soc like samsungs exynos called odin that is 64 bit . The main thing though is battery technology is prohibitively expensive. ..

Sent from my SM-G900P using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke