Are we ready, is Google ready for 2k Phones?

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Google has a problem. It?s drawing closer to a new generation of screen resolution and one that it?s had its hands on for nearly two years and they?ve demonstrated over and over again that they don?t care about high resolution when combined with a tablet. Look, the Nexus 10 was a terrific device for its time ? but it was made better by the development community and never by Google itself.

• Nexus 10 was released with Android 4.2 and even then it was released with unfinished software. If you recall, the multi-user support and lock screen widgets didn?t turn up until nearly a month and a half after release
  • The 4.2.2 update is slow to the punch ? lagging by up to almost 10 days from official release on other Nexus Devices
  • The 4.3 Launch nearly goes off without a hitch (Yay, go team go)
  • The 4.4 release takes nearly a month to get to Nexus 10 users, and when it does ? the translucency effect (so you get full screen wallpapers and no black bars at the top and bottom of the screen) ? goes absent and then it?s noted by Google that there were some ?graphical glitches? caused by applying the transparent bars?and rather than fix the problem ? they just removed them. Thanks Big G.

It?s with this spotted (at best) past that one starts to view Google?s outlook on the high resolution wielding tablet as: ?It?s great that we have this, but we don?t really care about it.? And not for nothing, Google has done nothing to improve the super high resolution ecosystem- despite the trend (sort of) catching on?rather it felt kind of like Google looking at Apple and saying ?Hey look, we beat you at your resolution game?now let?s quit worrying about it all together.? I suppose I understand why, if you look at the timeline where the Nexus 10 was released, 720p (or 1200*800 in Android land) was the defacto Android resolution, the next tablet push would go for the much lower target of 1900*1200 (Nexus 7 part deux) ? and the Nexus 10 always felt like an experiment that didn?t have much in the way of ?legs? past ?we out retina?d Apple.?

But there was a small amount of us who really enjoyed the higher resolution tablets and refused to go backwards. And of course?if there?s any interest ? there?d be OEM?s to go after it ? Samsung certainly tossed their hat into the ring (it took them a year but they did) with the Galaxy Note 2014 edition, and then promptly followed it up with the Pro Line in late 2013 ? all of which support the native 2500*1600 of the Nexus 10. Even Asus threw their hate into the ring?but while all of the OEM?s who tried have met with some success, they?ve done so because they?ve offered some compelling brand options (the wacom digitizer in the Note?s and Pro lines, the keyboard doc of the Asus) ? rather than rely on Google to make them a more compelling offering ? and right they were to do so.

So why is there a Google problem? Because that insane, much un-cared for resolution range is about to hit phones?and Google just isn?t ready with its current offering of services. LG?s G3 represents the first of the so called ?QhD? displays, coming in at 2560*1440, the G3 will sit squarely in the 2k screen resolution column that they can claim ?first,? for?and kudos to the for that. Samsung is sure to follow, then the game will slowly start to play out amongst the other IHV?s over the next year as is the case when anyone does anything that relates to the words ?mile or stone.? But is Google ready for this? My thinking is no?but not because they arbitrarily hate the resolution?but because they?re going to have to rethink how they manage all the screen real estate in new and interesting ways?that over the last two years?they?ve not done one thing about.

To show you what I mean, I?ve dummied up a number of screenshots. This is a completely unscientific demonstration, but I think my point still comes across. I used a Galaxy Note at 2500*1600 to illustrate the issue ? then tried to recreate the experience on a phone having had resized the images to a 6(ish) inch phone. Again, this is an imperfect analysis?the resolution (and thus aspect ratio) is a little off ? and I don?t want to stretch it just to fill in screen space (so you?ll see a gap at the bottom of the screen where you?d have more image and the overlapping soft keys). I?ve tried my best to keep it as accurate as I can ? but it?s hard to do without an actual device to manage the little things like bezel maintenance, use of on screen buttons, etc) ? but have a look anyway.

I used some raw Google apps (Gmail, Hangouts, Keep, Chrome, Music) as well as two non-native apps (CNN and Quiz-up) to demonstrate the challenge I think Google (and other devs) are facing with a 2k device. How do you manage all of the screen real estate that a higher resolution affords while managing the small form factor of the device itself. To me ? it looks like the potential for a lot of wasted space if they apps remain in their current form, and since I?m already looking at those apps running in native resolution on a 10 inch tablet.

Oddly, it looks like the non-native apps actually handle the resolution better ? though there?s still some room for improvement?but that?s not unexpected. I?d really hope that LG has something up their sleeve to help compensate ? akin to what we saw come out of Samsung for apps like Twitter, which they worked with Twitter to create a Samsung specific large resolution tablet version of their app which works really well (and utilizes the extra resolution to a better user experience)?but I suppose I?m skeptical because of their lack of doing something like this in the past.

So I guess I?m just looking to start a discussion here. Do you think Google (and/or LG) and it?s OS/User Base is ready for 2k on phones? If I had to answer for tablets ? I?d have to give them a solid C+ but it?s up from a D, so that?s something.

Thoughts?

Jack

Attachments

• Quizup.jpg
    Quizup.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 211
  • Cnn.jpg
    Cnn.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 211
  • Music.jpg
    Music.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 213
  • Keep.jpg
    Keep.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 212
  • Hangouts.jpg
    Hangouts.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 211
  • Gplus.jpg
    Gplus.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 213
  • Gmail.jpg
    Gmail.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 216
  • Chrome.jpg
    Chrome.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 218

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Thoughts?

Jack

Bah humbug hiDPI display upscaling increased GPU load increased CPU load increased battery power drain human eyes are still human eyes. Did I miss anything? Because that is what they are facing.

This is LG here and they want the flagship to sail. That means if google is slow to push then they'll have to do things the hard way - and they almost certainly will do it. This will not be like day one Windows 7 on Retina Macbook here. Buttons will still be large just very crisp and smooth. LG may have to extend its current aspect ratio correction all the way into DPI emulation like Retina iPad did, I just hope their scaling algorithm is less awful. The phone had better include Dual Window again, with a magnifying glass you could read two PDFs at the same time.

This is not another Nexus hack job, this is LG trying desperately to break out and increase its market share. They will do everything they can to make this thing sell.

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Lol - good points all, but I'd still argue that core Google Apps are more important in an Android phone than anything LG is going to make for it specifically.

That's my issue here, I'm sure LG is going to do their best to provide the best experience...and that's all fine and dandy until I have to open up my Gmail and then find I need a stylus to click on headings because they're too small to catch with my fingertip. Without Google making some pretty serious changes...there's rough waters ahead...

Jack

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Lol - good points all, but I'd still argue that core Google Apps are more important in an Android phone than anything LG is going to make for it specifically.

That's my issue here, I'm sure LG is going to do their best to provide the best experience...and that's all fine and dandy until I have to open up my Gmail and then find I need a stylus to click on headings because they're too small to catch with my fingertip. Without Google making some pretty serious changes...there's rough waters ahead...

Jack

I would agree with you if I'd never owned an Echo. Kyocera's best work, they hacked it up thru and thru but at its heart it was basically STOCK android. Email was a custom mod but worked perfectly, dialer and contacta smoothly adapted to opening and closing the second screen. Opening two apps on two screens worked fine. Tablet mode/DPI and aspect scaling worked 100% for all but three of my apps and they still worked normally in single screen at least.

LG should have had PLENTY of time to test if a 3.6mpx (?? In that area? 3.7? No coffee today) screen was always intended, heck they probably had a fully working panel internally at least six months ago if they just completed qualification. Does LG strike you as an operation that would ship a phone with an illegible UX and buttons so tiny a Note 3 stylus could barely hit them? Really?

This is not Google doing the usual half baked Nexus ROMs with broken features, this is LG shipping its own internally modded ROM for their new crown jewel superphone. If they screw this up they will lose a LOT of the hard won goodwill accumulating from their current gen superphones. Have some sense and don't get worked up until and unless the reviews prove them GUILTY okay?

kingmac38

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I would agree with you if I'd never owned an Echo. Kyocera's best work, they hacked it up thru and thru but at its heart it was basically STOCK android. Email was a custom mod but worked perfectly, dialer and contacta smoothly adapted to opening and closing the second screen. Opening two apps on two screens worked fine. Tablet mode/DPI and aspect scaling worked 100% for all but three of my apps and they still worked normally in single screen at least.

LG should have had PLENTY of time to test if a 3.6mpx (?? In that area? 3.7? No coffee today) screen was always intended, heck they probably had a fully working panel internally at least six months ago if they just completed qualification. Does LG strike you as an operation that would ship a phone with an illegible UX and buttons so tiny a Note 3 stylus could barely hit them? Really?

This is not Google doing the usual half baked Nexus ROMs with broken features, this is LG shipping its own internally modded ROM for their new crown jewel superphone. If they screw this up they will lose a LOT of the hard won goodwill accumulating from their current gen superphones. Have some sense and don't get worked up until and unless the reviews prove them GUILTY okay?

They will get it right its only a small api change and there is already a oppo phone with a 2k screen ... wait until Samsung tries with note 4 and 64 bit Android .... That will be totally different but if you look at aosp code. They are already getting it ready.... LG will not just pull a Samsung put bigger screen in phone and up dpi instant fix.... Samsung could have done lots more to optimize screen real estate. ...I don't think LG will mess it up

Sent from my SM-N900P using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
They will get it right its only a small api change and there is already a oppo phone with a 2k screen ... wait until Samsung tries with note 4 and 64 bit Android .... That will be totally different but if you look at aosp code. They are already getting it ready.... LG will not just pull a Samsung put bigger screen in phone and up dpi instant fix.... Samsung could have done lots more to optimize screen real estate. ...I don't think LG will mess it up

Sent from my SM-N900P using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

I dunno...in a large form factor...this actually works...it's when you shrink it down to the 6 inch size things get dicey.

Posted via Android Central App

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I dunno...in a large form factor...this actually works...it's when you shrink it down to the 6 inch size things get dicey.

Posted via Android Central App

The dicey components are increased render lag, increased power consumption and possibility of DPI scaling artifacts. That's about it.

1) solved tentatively with the graphics in the 2014 chipsets
2) solved tentatively with 3000+mAh battery and firmware that uses the newer SoC power saving logic to its fullest
3)everyone remembers Windows DPI issues and the early Apple teething trouble with rescale on Retina mac and tablet...if testing this is not a priority the market will punish them appropriately

Hence why I am not concerned.

This is not just adding pixels, man. There are forces at work here. Adding pixels was integral to large work screens dating back to the 80s, a bigger screen was only better if you could do more on it. But LG is not doing another beyond-HD 60" television to make a big picture less blurry.

They are adding pixels to a tiny screen to *make same size text sharper*, to *add definition and color accuracy to pictures and video*, and *to have a WORKING feature that can be advertised to sell phones*.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan