Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kingmac38
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google standardizing hardware specs?

I have a question (may seem like a conspiracy after todays leak lol) but do you guys think that google is making a effort to put pressure on hardware manufacturers to have the same baseline specs? For the last few years it seems like all the flagships have pretty much come with the exact same internals as far as CPU, processor, and ram, which would mean that google has a bit more control over how android runs on those devices. The difference is how those companies are manipulating the actual 'vessel' (for lack of a better term) that the phone arrives in. If everyone is running the same thing it certainly means that it will be easier to develop software for them (Google play edition anyone). Though the moto x does deviate from this theory. What are your thoughts?

Default Re: Google standardizing hardware specs?

Quote Originally Posted by Mac58 View Post
    I have a question (may seem like a conspiracy after todays leak lol) but do you guys think that google is making a effort to put pressure on hardware manufacturers to have the same baseline specs? For the last few years it seems like all the flagships have pretty much come with the exact same internals as far as CPU, processor, and ram, which would mean that google has a bit more control over how android runs on those devices. The difference is how those companies are manipulating the actual 'vessel' (for lack of a better term) that the phone arrives in. If everyone is running the same thing it certainly means that it will be easier to develop software for them (Google play edition anyone). Though the moto x does deviate from this theory. What are your thoughts?
    Google would love this ... but not true .... mostly it's just oem that are building phones for multiple carriers and the world and they are finally getting smart and using the same chips etc making it easy to retool the manufacturing ... Have to change less mostly just software ... Which in turn is making it easier to get aosp on some phones as you get a unified build

Sent from my SM-N900P using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by kingmac38 View Post
    Google would love this ... but not true .... mostly it's just oem that are building phones for multiple carriers and the world and they are finally getting smart and using the same chips etc making it easy to retool the manufacturing ... Have to change less mostly just software ... Which in turn is making it easier to get aosp on some phones as you get a unified build

So you dont think its odd that Samsung hasnt found a way to implement using its own processors in the states with LTE? I think its been close to 3 or 4 years. You may be right, but it just seems odd to me that at least in the US chipsets are being pretty standard.

So you dont think its odd that Samsung hasnt found a way to implement using its own processors in the states with LTE? I think its been close to 3 or 4 years. You may be right, but it just seems odd to me that at least in the US chipsets are being pretty standard.
    The galaxy s2 on sprint had the exynos chip but it was wimax not lte ... It must be difficult for Samsung to get lte in the exynos chips but I would think it should have been done by now

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

The galaxy s2 on sprint had the exynos chip but it was wimax not lte ... It must be difficult for Samsung to get lte in the exynos chips but I would think it should have been done by now

Exactly. Maybe Im reading too much into it lol, but I figured it would make for a fun discussion.

Google can't force manufacturers to use the same baseline specs on devices. What Google is trying to gain better control of is the software end. Many of the manufacturers "skin" android based devices making it much more difficult for them to receive timely updates from Google. So again google is looking to acquire more control where that is concerned.

Sent from my VS980 4G using AC Forums mobile app

It must be difficult for Samsung to get lte in the exynos chips but I would think it should have been done by now
    I would think so too. They're inadvertently speaking volumes about their own chips if they aren't even trying to compete in such a large market with them.

I just think it was what's available and reliable, so that is why manufacturers chose to use. Qualcomm essentially has a strangle hold on the chip market

The note 2 has exynos and lte here in states

That was the only time the 8 core that came in s4 didn't have it and they used snapdragon. ... Note 3 same

Why on earth would google do this and why on earth would manufacturers comply???

Sent from my Apple iPad Air using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Soundtrack to Chaos View Post
    Why on earth would google do this and why on earth would manufacturers comply???

Do you think HTC and Samsung have that much pull ???

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily...150058560.html

Google is a much bigger and way more valuable company ....

They could probably do this if they wanted and the companies would have no choice but to go along especially if Google threatened to close source android... Samsung is the only one with their own os and not many customers would buy it right away with no apps and such ...Samsung still hasn't released a tizen phone so obviously it's not a replacement for android..

Thankfully Google has always just wanted the android name to grow and be big

Do you think HTC and Samsung have that much pull ???

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily...150058560.html

Google is a much bigger and way more valuable company ....

They could probably do this if they wanted and the companies would have no choice but to go along especially if Google threatened to close source android... Samsung is the only one with their own os and not many customers would buy it right away with no apps and such ...Samsung still hasn't released a tizen phone so obviously it's not a replacement for android..

Thankfully Google has always just wanted the android name to grow and be big

Samsung has the largest market share in the android space, we could argue that Samsung has all the power and if they left android all their consumers would as well.

Not to start an argument, because I really don't want to, but do you think that the general consumer really gives a crwp what OS is on their phone if they can use the apps they want to?

So let's say that Samsung leaves android and decides to use only tizen, what do you think happens to all their customers when the next galaxy comes out? They would follow suit, because they are accustomed and by the sales numbers, love the samsung experience. So then what happens to googles power when the second largest phone manufacturer leaves the platform?

Google being valuable has absolutely nothing to do with anything in this situation, for those manufactures that are in debt and can't move product, like htc, sure they could threaten them, but not the top dog

Quote Originally Posted by Soundtrack to Chaos View Post
    Samsung has the largest market share in the android space, we could argue that Samsung has all the power and if they left android all their consumers would as well.

Not to start an argument, because I really don't want to, but do you think that the general consumer really gives a crwp what OS is on their phone if they can use the apps they want to?

So let's say that Samsung leaves android and decides to use only tizen, what do you think happens to all their customers when the next galaxy comes out? They would follow suit, because they are accustomed and by the sales numbers, love the samsung experience. So then what happens to googles power when the second largest phone manufacturer leaves the platform?

Google being valuable has absolutely nothing to do with anything in this situation, for those manufactures that are in debt and can't move product, like htc, sure they could threaten them, but not the top dog

But tizen doesn't use android apps and they would have to make another market and wait for developers to make apps ... Don't think just because people buy Samsung phones that they would not buy a HTC or lg because customers would rather stay with what they know... Android vs not having apps they have paid for and learning a new os .... It would not be a just we will leave android and stay with Samsung ... it would be staying with android with another company ...

Mac58 likes this.

But tizen doesn't use android apps and they would have to make another market and wait for developers to make apps ... Don't think just because people buy Samsung phones that they would not buy a HTC or lg because customers would rather stay with what they know... Android vs not having apps they have paid for and learning a new os .... It would not be a just we will leave android and stay with Samsung ... it would be staying with android with another company ...

They know samsung, they use samsungs launcher, samsung features, and they buy their devices by the tens if millions.

Developers would easily jump ship to samsungs OS because they always go where the consumers go to make money.

"Don't think just because people buy Samsung phones that they would not buy a HTC or lg because customers would rather stay with what they know"

They aren't buying them now, and we are given no reason to believe that they will if samsung leaves android

Samsung provides a specialized experience to consumers that they can't get elsewhere, people love them, there is no evidence supporting that if Samsung leaves, their customers and developers won't follow.

Samsung owns the market. We could even say that google feels threatened by Samsung, they made them, and other manufactures, put the "powered by android" thing on the boot screen. Maybe google felt that people forgot what OS the phone ran and wanted to let people know?

Just saying. This is all a hypothetical situation after all, but when you look at the facts, meaning sales numbers, market share, etc, there is no evidence saying people won't follow samsung if they decide to leave the platform and have the apps people want on their tizen device