Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Qi charging to be a carrier exclusive in the U.S :-(

Not sure if you guys read this but it is most definitely disappointing at least for me. I wish LG had a developer unlocked version so users dont have to suffer from things like this. Now this is seriously making me re think my purchase plans of the G3 :-(

LG G3 will be available in the UK on July 1st, rest of Europe later in the month | The Verge

Default Re: Qi charging to be a carrier exclusive in the U.S :-(

Att will probably not include similar to Lumia 1520? I hope they sell an unlocked version I can use on ATT LTE network.
    iPhone 6 Plus, OnePlus One (64GB),Xperia Z2, LG G3, Lumia 925 8.1 Cyan, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8

Global Posts
    474 Global Posts

The Qi charging on my G2 is definitely one of the many positive aspects of the phone (Camera with OIS, 5.2" 1080P IPS screen while smaller than 5.1" GS5 or 5.0" GS4 and both HTC Ones (M7 4.7" and M8 5.0", 32 GB of storage (no micro SD), 3000 MAh battery (nonreplaceable) that is good for an entire day (close to or beats the Droid Maxx HD and Note 3). That is one of many positives for the G3 - better screen, better camera, removeable battery and micro SD expansion, 3 GB RAM on 32 GB model (the only model to get in my opinion to future proof the phone), Qi Charging, better design - although it's fake metal it is far better than the slick, shiny back of the G2, no problem with back buttons and the G3 looks even better (assuming Verizon doesn't screw it up again). Only issue which I have to check out is its slightly bigger and my G2 is pretty close to max size for one handed use.

I wouldn't necessarily read that as the US being forced into some carrier exclusivity, it could simply mean the carriers want the extra cash from accessory sales when people buy the Qi-compatible backs.

Posted via Android Central App

So basically I have to buy a circle case? I really would just like the stock battery cover with qi.

I'm thinking I'd like to try the circle case anyway, but I've seen examples of the backs without the flip cover. Likely you could source one of those from somewhere.

Or you could just cut the front of the case off most likely

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I just like the simplicity of having all of that built right into my phone and not having to pay extra. Adding the functionality brings bulk to the device, and this is a very nice looking phone. I dont want to cover it...*sigh* I hate carriers...

ROM
    KK 4.4.3

Well that's disappointing. Leave it to the carriers to screw things up. Again.

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts

There will undoubtedly be more choices besides the circle case that will be released soon enough. Regardless this sucks but that is what we get thanks to the greedy providers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

2 issues I see for AT&T customers.

1.) AT&T has that stupid PMA charging Alliance.
    2.) They disabled qi charging the LG g2.

If it's just a matter of buying the new back cover then I won't mind. But on the g2 att completely removed the charging pick-ups, so qi charging wasnt even possible.

Global Posts
    328 Global Posts

Well the charging contacts are fixed into the g3 itself on the back. So if att decides to do that they'll have to rework the hardware. I hope this isn't the case that would be complete garbage. I don't know much about the g2 so I have no idea there.

I really hope they don't remove those charging pick-ups. On the g2, under the cover was completely different from Verizon (qi) to att (no qi).

Global Posts
    8,207 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

That's unfortunate. Qi charging is extremely good (for me) and I would be looking forward to this feature out of the box if I were to purchase the device, which I would consider.

I won't say its a deal breaker, but disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by asics10 View Post
    2 issues I see for AT&T customers.

1.) AT&T has that stupid PMA charging Alliance.
    2.) They disabled qi charging the LG g2.

If it's just a matter of buying the new back cover then I won't mind. But on the g2 att completely removed the charging pick-ups, so qi charging wasnt even possible.

AT&T didn't change or remove anything to the G2. Verizon was the only US carrier to have it, they changed the phone not the other way around.