Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Almeuit
  • 1 Post By Bishop_99
  • 1 Post By Relgoshan
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Slightly grainy video? WTF!

Just read a review from betanews. The review generally sings the praises of the phone saying how wonderful it is. However the reviewer also mentions a negative which they consider to be minor but I would say this is certainly not minor. The negative they mention is 'slightly grainy video'. Im sorry but Im confused. How can a phone that has 4k video recording and a quadHD screen have grainy video??? This could be a deal breaker for me.
    Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,443 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

Default Re: Slightly grainy video? WTF!

Quote Originally Posted by goobs10 View Post
    Just read a review from betanews. The review generally sings the praises of the phone saying how wonderful it is. However the reviewer also mentions a negative which they consider to be minor but I would say this is certainly not minor. The negative they mention is 'slightly grainy video'. Im sorry but Im confused. How can a phone that has 4k video recording and a quadHD screen have grainy video??? This could be a deal breaker for me.
    Did they mention if it was in all situations or only in low light? Most phones have a lot of noise when shooting/recording in dimly lit areas.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

w
    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Did they mention if it was in all situations or only in low light? Most phones have a lot of noise when shooting/recording in dimly lit areas.
    No it wasnt in low light conditions. The reviewer actually posted the video he took that he was referring to which is a video of a pond that was taken outside in daylight.

This is the review

Onswipe
    Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,443 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

w

No it wasnt in low light conditions. The reviewer actually posted the video he took that he was referring to which is a video of a pond that was taken outside in daylight.

This is the review

Onswipe
    "Video is a different story, sadly. As a test, I shot my Koi pond in 4K. While the video is passable, it is a bit grainy. Colors are very well represented, but with a lot of movement, quality takes a dive. Make no mistake, it is by no means bad, just not great."

They said passable, not minor

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Of its like all the other review units it is a preproduction unit.

Quote Originally Posted by tx_tuff View Post
    Of its like all the other review units it is a preproduction unit.
    This always just feels like an excuse to me. I did see some interesting stuff about how it improves battery life. “For example, the LTPS panel dynamically tweaks variables such as frame rate when viewing static images, in order to arrive at a lower power draw in the longer term.”
    LG G3 battery life tests reveal handset has no rival | BGR

This and the automatic dimming thing kind of scare me.

Quote Originally Posted by Google10 View Post
    This always just feels like an excuse to me. I did see some interesting stuff about how it improves battery life. For example, the LTPS panel dynamically tweaks variables such as frame rate when viewing static images, in order to arrive at a lower power draw in the longer term.

I wouldn't say it's an excuse. That would be like saying the beta model should be as good as the final... When it isn't... Since that's why it's a beta. Same with preproduction.. They may have it how they want but not quite perfect just yet... So therefor wonky things.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    UJ95x likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

This always just feels like an excuse to me. I did see some interesting stuff about how it improves battery life. “For example, the LTPS panel dynamically tweaks variables such as frame rate when viewing static images, in order to arrive at a lower power draw in the longer term.”

Yes i dont like the idea of that automatic dimming feature either. Im hoping there will be an option in the settings to disable it.

This always just feels like an excuse to me. I did see some interesting stuff about how it improves battery life. For example, the LTPS panel dynamically tweaks variables such as frame rate when viewing static images, in order to arrive at a lower power draw in the longer term.

You can see it as an excuse, the same way I see you saying no to a phone you have even yet to see in person as jumping the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by tx_tuff View Post
    You can see it as an excuse, the same way I see you saying no to a phone you have even yet to see in person as jumping the gun.
    I'm buying the phone (assuming we hear something from AT&T before other stuff gets announced...)

This could be a deal breaker for me.
    Sounded like you wasn't going to buy it because of the review.

Oh AT&T will get it for sure so you should be able to get it.

I'm not getting it for one reason, my G2 which I got in release day isn't even a year old. I'm wait till next year and see what the G4 brings. But if I need a new phone it would be the G3.

Think you might have been mixing up Google10 and goobs10

Think you might have been mixing up Google10 and goobs10
    My bad LOL

Thanks for not posting a link, BetaNews got taken over years ago by trolls who write flamebait. They use comment flame wars to show they have an active and engaged readership....

It is very possible the issues are preproduction only. For example NoteBookCheck originally reviewed the preproduction G Flex. They later received the mass market model and updated to say it had addressed the issues in the first one.

Especially things like camera software are not final until done. They need to tweak the scaling algorithm, pixel gain, denoise and etc until reaching the best quality that can be sustained by the hardware.

4K recording on a phone is still something miraculous, and badly needed if you want to export something that is even 1080p-worthy later. Devices run with clocks locked and a hard cutoff timer to ensure the smoothest and best possible capture....for all of five minutes or so. Like a certain Japanese robot show franchise.

Wait for a few more reviews and from actual reviewers not betanews.

I do not trust BGR, they quote PhoneArena who deleted their G Flex battery numbers quietly because they were too low compared to everyone else. Don't post a gossip site page, post the original source they are ripping off please. I mean if Anandtech said G3 was pretty good but had a few concerns, would you instead post a BGR link to "Anand says G3 is bee's knees"...?

I'm trying to stay away from G3 reviews until at least next Monday at the soonest.

- - - Updated - - -

I do not trust BGR, they quote PhoneArena who deleted their G Flex battery numbers quietly because they were too low compared to everyone else. Don't post a gossip site page, post the original source they are ripping off please. I mean if Anandtech said G3 was pretty good but had a few concerns, would you instead post a BGR link to "Anand says G3 is bee's knees"...?

I'm trying to stay away from G3 reviews until at least next Monday at the soonest.

Do yourself a favor and quit stressing over preproduction models. Wait until it's on the shelf and you can do your own review based on a model that isn't even available yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Relgoshan View Post
    Sorry. Forgot to use AMA style for my bibliography. Those extra clicks you had to go through had to hurt the fingers.

Sorry. Forgot to use AMA style for my bibliography. Those extra clicks you had to go through had to hurt the fingers.
    Nah, I just don't respect BGR and I dislike PhoneArena's redaction of test numbers without giving any reason why.

generally, all these cell phone video recorders, 4k or not, record lower quality and lower detailed video than actual camcorders. They are worse in lower lighting and the audio sounds pretty bad in comparison to an actual camcorder. You can only expect soo much from just a tiny camera sensor. It's a pretty big accomplishment that they managed to record in 4K.
    Relgoshan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop_99 View Post
    generally, all these cell phone video recorders, 4k or not, record lower quality and lower detailed video than actual camcorders. They are worse in lower lighting and the audio sounds pretty bad in comparison to an actual camcorder. You can only expect soo much from just a tiny camera sensor. It's a pretty big accomplishment that they managed to record in 4K.
    Yep, and only for five minutes at a time. Their UHD recording cleans up and downscales to about upper-mid consumer 1080p camcorder quality which is rather impressive. But those camcorders have optical zoom and can record for hours and hours at that quality. You can only expect so much comparing a 2.5mm sensor to a 30mm sensor after all.

The one thing that impressed with the Flex, its dual-mic noise cancelling system for speakerphone can also be used in landscape mode video for semi convincing stereo. And it has an isolating method called Audio Zoom that enhances overlapping input, basically the same as beam forming on a laptop mic array. Does an okay job but I think it's tied to the digital video zoom....unless you use Tracking Zoom video at your kid's sports event you may as well try cleaning up the audio on a PC later.
    Bishop_99 likes this.