Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default LG G3 Heat

Phone geeks: Would it be true to say that the G3's processor would have to work harder to keep the QuadHD display fed and that this would tend to cause overheating?

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: LG G3 Heat

Makes sense considering same 28nm chip in 1080p devices (the sweet spot for the gpu) and much higher res. I think one hour use with a 3d game with ambient temps above 85 degrees could make a very toasty device. Maybe.

My concern is LG is throttling the device to compensate for the display and the 28nm chip. This is not like a tablet with more space for heat dissipation designed around the SoC.

It depends where the chip is located and whether they use any thermal transfer sorcery. I bet we will be seeing pico heat spreader designs picking up in the mobile arena.

I just bought a G3 this weekend, and it does get quite warm. Right after activating it, my Google account automaticlly installed all the apps I had on my Galaxy S4. In th emiddle of that process I was palying arouind with it and it would not let me increase the screento overheating issues" is what the little balloon said.
    I love everything else about this phone but, even though I have not seen that messge again, the heat worries me a little. Just a little bit ago, I was working on the phone and ended up calling my wife. It was quite warm to my ear as well as my hand.

I haven't noticed the G3 heating up any warmer than my RAZR Maxx. Perhaps I am not pushing it hard enough. I am only at about 800MB a day downloaded on WiFi. Been playing Minecraft only at 30 minute intervals. Perhaps I need to push harder?

Have had my G3 about 4 days now and have not seen any overheating issues and I went through a similar install a ton of apps when I migrated over from my G2 ...it gets slightly warmer when running navigation apps like waze, but nothing bad at all. I have never seen an over temp message and I run an exchange and gmail push mail system with corp policies.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

That's an old thread that must have been down to the centre of the earth and back. Now that I actually own a G3, I can report back to my earlier self that I've had no problems with overheating...nothing worse than a bit of warmth occasionally, so stop worrying and buy the phone.

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

...And I did buy it.