Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 32 of 32
Like Tree4Likes
  1. #26  

    Default Re: LG G3 First Day Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by belodion View Post
    Relgoshan: What you were saying about the sharpening: do you think that's something that could be addressed in a future update or is it a physical property of the screen that users will have to live with?

    Posted via Android Central App
    As far as I know, it's a postprocessing shader. In theory it should be something that could have a toggle item. It normally is intended to increase contrast at the point where very different blocks of color touch. Such as sharpening text borders.

    However just as with iPad Retina, many apps will need to be upscaled from their normal max rez of 1920x1080. On screen graphics of some programs will need to be upscaled to match the system DPI.

    And of course nearly all videos need to be upscaled. 720p content is not upscaled merely to 2x2 blocks at qHD, it is softened with some form of pixel averaging or aliasing. The PROBLEM there is that some sites reported that the artifacts from upscaling were then SHARPENED by the sharpening filter. It could be as simple to solve as LG having some mask or exception that prevents video windows from being filtered for sharpness.
  2. #27  

    Default Re: LG G3 First Day Impressions

    Thank you for sharing all this. What you say helps explain pillowcase's observation that 720p video on the G3's display does not look as good as on a 1080p. All I know about sharpening is from the days of film photography, where out of focus images could be scanned, the contrast between adjacent areas of tone increased, and something resembling an in-focus image produced. My chief interest in the G3 is in fact photographic....do photos taken by it look sharper on its 1440p display than they would on a 1080p, all other things being equal? I haven't read anything about this in reviews yet, probably because most users are not camera nuts like me.
    I also wonder how the Oppo Find 1440p manages to do without (so far as we know) the sharpening feature that LG considered necessary, or desirable.

    Posted via Android Central App
  3. #28  

    Default Re: LG G3 First Day Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by belodion View Post
    Thank you for sharing all this. What you say helps explain pillowcase's observation that 720p video on the G3's display does not look as good as on a 1080p. All I know about sharpening is from the days of film photography, where out of focus images could be scanned, the contrast between adjacent areas of tone increased, and something resembling an in-focus image produced. My chief interest in the G3 is in fact photographic....do photos taken by it look sharper on its 1440p display than they would on a 1080p, all other things being equal? I haven't read anything about this in reviews yet, probably because most users are not camera nuts like me.
    I also wonder how the Oppo Find 1440p manages to do without (so far as we know) the sharpening feature that LG considered necessary, or desirable.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Oppo has a 1440p already? Neato.

    As first gen super high rez, the G3 screen's raw contrast leaves a bit to be desired. So LG seems to be using a software mask to increase perceived contrast. However sometimes this backfires a little. I bet the Oppo, even if sometimes not as *sharp*, will have less artifacting in some content. There is a question of trade offs tho, like if the 1440p panel on the Oppo uses more conventional pixels it will need an even stronger backlight to be even as bright as the G3. I haven't seen a good comparative article yet, but maybe soon.
  4. #29  

    Default Re: LG G3 First Day Impressions

    The backlighting may explain why the two manufacturers had followed different paths then. I haven't checked battery consumption on the Oppo...it's the Find 7 I think...because there's not much point: these and other phones of interest, like the OnePlus One, are not available from the high street stores I prefer to buy from.
    I did actually see the G3 briefly today, and have mentioned it in another thread, "G3 First Sighting" I think I called it.

    Posted via Android Central App
  5. #30  

    Default Re: LG G3 First Day Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by belodion View Post
    The backlighting may explain why the two manufacturers had followed different paths then. I haven't checked battery consumption on the Oppo...it's the Find 7 I think...because there's not much point: these and other phones of interest, like the OnePlus One, are not available from the high street stores I prefer to buy from.
    I did actually see the G3 briefly today, and have mentioned it in another thread, "G3 First Sighting" I think I called it.

    Posted via Android Central App
    There is precious little on the Find 7 yet. However from XDA and PhoneArena it seems the 2k-class screen could be better. Good black contrast, somewhat weak color and badly skewed color temperature. And dimmer than G3 which for its part has lesser black contrast compensated by a sharpening filter.
  6. #31  

    Default LG G3 First Day Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by pesser View Post
    first thing i did was transfer over was the desolation of smaug 720p BRRip x264.ACC 3.7GB. smoooooth as a babies bottom !

    no sutter at all and very impressed witht the audio as well
    Even the old 4470 in the Nook HD can play hi def video smoothly, since more an issue of codec support in the hardware rather than gpu calculation power. Will be interesting to see how long games and long web browsing is on the G3
  7. #32  

    Default Re: LG G3 First Day Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by rushmore View Post
    Even the old 4470 in the Nook HD can play hi def video smoothly, since more an issue of codec support in the hardware rather than gpu calculation power. Will be interesting to see how long games and long web browsing is on the G3
    My old Echo with single core 1GHz Snapdragon was fine with video in h.264 High (3.1) Profile, up to at least 720p for sure. Seemed to handle peaks of more than 20mbit video rate just fine, while HTC phones with the same chip had bad firmware and bugged out at the same settings. My old phone should play that 720p BDrip smoothly.

    My new phone has only had issues with certain obvious problems like super high rez .webm files and such.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-30-2014, 09:23 PM
  2. Replies: 208
    Last Post: 08-06-2014, 06:34 AM
  3. my LG F100L not connect with google play
    By Arvind Sinha in forum Android L
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-28-2014, 02:32 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-27-2014, 09:39 PM
  5. samsung g3
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-27-2014, 09:24 PM

Posting Permissions