Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default G3 signal strength

Anyone with the G3 how's the signal strength? I'm finding mine worse than the nexus 5 was by up to 10dBm which is really disappointing. Spoke to the shop and he would swap it for me but are they all the same? I'm surprised it's not equal or better than the nexus 5

Posted via Android Central App
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: G3 signal strength

So mine is going back tomorrow. Signal hasn't gone above 2 bars all day even outside. Also the phone is really laggy, slower than my nexus 5 at almost everything. Has anyone else got the same thing? Would really appreciate some feedback from other users as need to decide whether to get a replacement or whether to push to try abd get a different phone instead

majority of users here don't even have the phone yet, gonna be a while before anyone could help

Seems as good as if not better than my previous G2.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by aldo82 View Post
    So mine is going back tomorrow. Signal hasn't gone above 2 bars all day even outside. Also the phone is really laggy, slower than my nexus 5 at almost everything. Has anyone else got the same thing? Would really appreciate some feedback from other users as need to decide whether to get a replacement or whether to push to try abd get a different phone instead

You compare with your Nexus....do you use that on the Three network as well?
    Also, are you in one of Three's 4G areas? In other words are you comparing like with like as far as possible?
    I had another go on the display G3 at my Three store today and it was certainly faster to respond than my Nexus 5 when simply loading apps etc.

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Interesting thanks. Yeah exactly same conditions as my nexus. Same SIM card same location. Don't get 4g where I am so on hspa and hspa+. In exactly the same location as yesterday the signal is down relative to the nexus. In fact outside my building at work the signal was the same as the nexus used to be inside!

I thought the model in the 3 store was a bit laggy too but it had a software update waiting so thought that would sort things out. My model hasn't had a software update despite checking so it's either up to date or something else it up.

Good to hear you saw one operating faster than the nexus. I'll hold out hope that a replacement will 've better!

Just tried looking up LG phones and signal reception but couldn't find anything very significant...in fact if anything they seem to be good in that respect. I suppose it's possible you got a duff specimen, but what extraordinarily bad luck....one of the first G3's to be sold in the UK and you have to return it after a few hours. Wish you the best of luck with replacement.

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Cheers! Yeah I can't find evidence online of any other issues like mine. What's especially frustrating is the decision to get the g3 was a really difficult one as I swore to never buy a non nexus again. Finally decided to do it and it's been quite disappointing. I'll post back if the replacement is better. Fingers crossed!

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Well I had my phone exchanged today for a new one. The jury is still out as to whether this one is better.

When I first booted it up, the signal was huge and I thought all was fixed. But then after all the apps had updated and I looked at the phone again it had dropped signal significantly. I popped the SIM back in the nexus 5 abd indeed at the same location the nexus was still maybe 5 dBm higher in signal strength.

Now the reported numbers mean nothing and its how it performs that matters. So I'll find out when I'm out and about and at work tomorrow. I'll take my nexus with me to compare.

I wonder if the G3 keeps signal strength lower to save battery life or something relative to the nexus. So as long as it ramps it up when needed then that's all that matters

It looks as if there was nothing wrong with the first one then....chances are they're all like that. In a way that's reassuring because at least a duff phone didn't (probably) get past the quality control at LG. On the other hand it looks as if the G3 may, as some have suggested, be a little compromised in its design.
    Looking forward to the next instalment in your G3 saga.
    May be worth mentioning at this point how good the Nexus 5 is, as I think most owners would agree. Yet we chase after the G3. I think if the Nexus 5 were a new phone and came out tomorrow, a lot of us would rush out to buy.

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Yes very true about the nexus 5. Have to admit I feel a tinge of regret for upgrading and when I look back at the nexus 5 I really wonder why I didn't stick with it. Damn gadget addiction! Having said that it's battery life was terrible so if the G3 can beat it then it'll be worth it. Plus the bigger screen is so easy to get used to that going back would be a shame now. I don't think I can get out of the upgrade now anyway so will have to stick with it. Just hope the signal is a bit better on this one tomorrow

Carrier
    Euroskank CM10

Quote Originally Posted by belodion View Post
    Just tried looking up LG phones and signal reception but couldn't find anything very significant...in fact if anything they seem to be good in that respect. I suppose it's possible you got a duff specimen, but what extraordinarily bad luck....one of the first G3's to be sold in the UK and you have to return it after a few hours. Wish you the best of luck with replacement.

I did an in-store (Verizon) comparison - Galaxy S4 vs LG G2. The G2 was 25dBm better when held side by side That's huge. PC Mag also rated the G2 8/10 for reception. The G3 will be the first phone I purchase without playing with it in the store first.

No issues with mine

Default G3 signal strength

Quote Originally Posted by aldo82 View Post
    Well I had my phone exchanged today for a new one. The jury is still out as to whether this one is better.

When I first booted it up, the signal was huge and I thought all was fixed. But then after all the apps had updated and I looked at the phone again it had dropped signal significantly. I popped the SIM back in the nexus 5 abd indeed at the same location the nexus was still maybe 5 dBm higher in signal strength.

Now the reported numbers mean nothing and its how it performs that matters. So I'll find out when I'm out and about and at work tomorrow. I'll take my nexus with me to compare.

I wonder if the G3 keeps signal strength lower to save battery life or something relative to the nexus. So as long as it ramps it up when needed then that's all that matters

I wonder if part of the power mitigation to offset the Qhd is radio throttling as well? The radios are not on/off as earlier devices were, so could be part of a throttling solution.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

The idea that if the phone has good signal then it turns down its amplifier so it gets just what it needs rather than too much is an interesting one. Save power and still get the signal you need. If the signal strength is then measured after the amplifier then it would measure it lower which could be what I'm seeing.

This is all fine provided it then appropriately ramps up the amplifier in low signal areas to boost when needed. That's what my first G3 didn't seem to do hence coverage was worse than my nexus.

What I really don't get is why no one has mentioned this in reviews so whilst the theory is great I don't think it's true and I would expect the g3 to be getting the same signal as the nexus which it just doesn't do.

Have some testing to do today!

Quote Originally Posted by Murph5150 View Post
    I did an in-store (Verizon) comparison - Galaxy S4 vs LG G2. The G2 was 25dBm better when held side by side That's huge. PC Mag also rated the G2 8/10 for reception. The G3 will be the first phone I purchase without playing with it in the store first.

Are we talking about strength of received signal here, or at least a phone's more-or-less accurate measurement of that signal? Because if the signal's strong, I see no battery advantage in de-amplifying it....the energy is coming from the signal after all, and all the phone's got to do it sit there and lap it up, the more the better.

Quote Originally Posted by rushmore View Post
    I wonder if part of the power mitigation to offset the Qhd is radio throttling as well? The radios are not on/off as earlier devices were, so could be part of a throttling solution.
    Wouldn't de-amplifying make the phone work harder rather than less, with consequent battery charge consumption?

18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

I don't know how strong mobile signals are. I would've thought there always needs to be some amplification but maybe they can act passively if signal is stong,I don't know. Besides when I commented on this it was only speculation as I was trying to think of a reason the signal could be so week on the G3

My replacement phone appears to be no better than the original. Single is low and it will loose reception much quicker than my nexus 5 will. I have both phones with me today abd the nexus is about 10 dBm higher on signal and can make calls and use data when the G3 loses signal completely. I've now had 2 handsets and sadly I can only conclude that reception is worse than a nexus 5, the galaxy s3 I had before that and to be honest probably the iPhone 4 I had before that.

I've spoken to the phone store and they are going to try and ask the LG rep about it. I'm probably stuck with this phone now as I doubt they'll let me change to anything else so it's disappointing. Upgrade to a better bigger screen but loose signal so can't use it so much!

Sorry to hear of your experience. Things may just improve when 4G comes to your area.

Fifteen minutes after reading aldo82's last post, I was at the store to buy a G3. They were out of stock. But that's how irresistible the G3 is.

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

Ive noticd my signal retention isnot as good as my z2 was but i can live with it because the places i losse signal in are when im driving

Quote Originally Posted by hiya1987 View Post
    Ive noticd my signal retention isnot as good as my z2 was but i can live with it because the places i losse signal in are when im driving

The Z2 has a mighty good display. How do you think the G3's compares?

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

g3 has the superior display but the camera on z2 beats it prefer my g3 loved my g2! i guess now you dont really buy a bad phone any more haha

Quote Originally Posted by hiya1987 View Post
    g3 has the superior display but the camera on z2 beats it prefer my g3 loved my g2! i guess now you dont really buy a bad phone any more haha
    That's a good point. We've failed to notice how good all the top-end phones are now.

Quote Originally Posted by Murph5150 View Post

I was at the store again today and checked signal strength of display G3 alongside my Nexus 5. One said 87dBm, the other 89dBm. I can't remember which was which but believe the G3 was the higher.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast