Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Default Re: How's the LG G3 battery compared to the G2?

I have a G2 on Sprint and I have a co-worker that got his G3 on T-Mobile. We have similar apps. We got to work with both phones reading 99%. Both phones got similar use throughout our 11 hour work day. I left with 71% and my co-worker left with 35% for his drive home. We don't know why but just our observation today

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    357 Global Posts
    ROM
    LG's 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by disney4life2005 View Post
    I have a G2 on Sprint and I have a co-worker that got his G3 on T-Mobile. We have similar apps. We got to work with both phones reading 99%. Both phones got similar use throughout our 11 hour work day. I left with 71% and my co-worker left with 35% for his drive home. We don't know why but just our observation today

Different screen brightness... Different apps open... Could be a lot of things.

Sent from my T-Mobile Carrier locked LG G3 without root or anything like that.
    btw, I'm a girl.
    Current Carrier: T-Mobile (all phones are carrier locked) || Current Phone: LG G3 rooted || Previous Phone: Galaxy S4

Different cell providers undoubtedly means different correction quality.of day your office doesn't have good tmobile coverage

After a weekend with my G3, the G2's battery definitely last longer. I haven't tested this out, but it seems to me that the G3's life was cut by 25% from the G2. Now this is not scientific. It's just my feeling.
    Proud owner of: Black LG G3 & White LG G2
    Gone But Not Forgotten: OG Droid, Dinc, Droid Charge, iPhone 4, Bionic, Razr Maxx & Maxx HD, iPhone 5, SG3, HTC One Maxx, HTC One (M8), iPhone 6, and Droid Turbo (Ask me anything about them. I remember them all.)

The G3 battery is good according to reviewers but I don't think it'll be as good as the g2. They have the same size battery but the g3 has a higher red display

Quote Originally Posted by scottysize View Post
    After a weekend with my G3, the G2's battery definitely last longer. I haven't tested this out, but it seems to me that the G3's life was cut by 25% from the G2. Now this is not scientific. It's just my feeling.
    I feel the same way.
    The G2 seems to last about 20% longer than the G3.
    G3 is not bad by any stretch of the imagination but the older G2 is actually better.
    Yesterday I got about 15 hours of usage with 4.5 hours screen time.
    Today I technically unplugged it at 3.Am and 12 hours later I'm at 51% with 2.5 hours screen time.
    That's not bad but on the G2 I'd get more. I can't complain but realistically battery is a downgrade on the G3
    scottysize likes this.

I recall being very impressed with battery life on my G2 from day one. So far the G3 is struggling to come anywhere near it. But I'm only on a few days in at this point and I think it takes a good week or two before you really get a feel for battery life. All I ask is to get through a day with moderate use, anything else is gravy. But I understand why some folks require better then that.

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts

I've come from a bunch of different phones. Most recently the g2 to the s5 to the g3. The s5 and g2 are beast for battery life. I had a meeting Sat. from 7:30 to 5:30 off the charger. Light browsing, few calls, emails, texting and had 69% at 8pm. I'm usually a heavy user with calls and gps and the battery seems pretty impressive. Maybe not quite as good as the g2 or s5 but better than I thought it would be.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #34  

Global Posts
    1,431 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by jppacheco1219 View Post
    The G3 battery is good according to reviewers but I don't think it'll be as good as the g2. They have the same size battery but the g3 has a higher red display
    Granted they were supposed to have made things more efficient but I guess there is only so much you can make it.

Sent from my Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 4

That and it's a different type of battery. I kept on reading that to fit as much in to the shape of the phone the battery was also curved in a 'stepped design' or something like that. and i dont know how the shape can make a difference but if you owned a G2 you know when that thing was at 100%... that phone just stays at 100% longer than any other. it's like it's really topped off at 110% or something lol. Same type battery used in Moto X and they were known to have great life.

The G3 definitely doesnt have the battery life of G2. But I can make it a whole day into evening which makes it no slouch. Just waiting on a 3500 battery from a reputable company and will be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Snareman View Post
    Granted they were supposed to have made things more efficient but I guess there is only so much you can make it.

I really haven't noticed much difference in battery life. I actually think the g3 has a better battery life. I have my brightness set to manual at 50% same as I had it set with the g2.

Sent from my LG-D851 using AC Forums mobile app

G2 seems to have better battery life from what I remember. I had it last year and it had the best battery of any phone I've had, up until the M8. So far, the G3 has decent battery life, but it's less than I was getting on my M8. That's my only gripe right now, but I'm hoping it will improve with an update.

Sent from my LG-D850 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Snareman View Post

It should be OK though. It should at least last you a day

Network signal strength plays a huge role. Also refresh rate of apps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is with heavy heavy usage. I think I streamed Pandora for about 5 or 6 hours. Lots of texting, and Twitter. A few phone calls, and I did not switch to LTE, until about 1 in the morning.

I'm a heavy user, and had the G2. Battery on the G2 was slightly better, but not to the point of being amazingly better.

After a few weeks with the G3 and going through a few weeks of charging cycles, I actually think the battery has gotten a tad bit better. I'm finding days like today where I'll go 14 hours and a normal days use will be a couple of hours of screen time web browsing, chatting, texting, picture taking... and 10pm I still have 50% battery.

I think my G2 I still would have had 10% more but I definitely can live with this. I'd hope we'd get a quality 3rd party company with a 3500mah battery but even if they offered a 3200-3300 battery, that would put it in G2 range and go day and a half no problem and be perfect for me.

Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    After a few weeks with the G3 and going through a few weeks of charging cycles, I actually think the battery has gotten a tad bit better. I'm finding days like today where I'll go 14 hours and a normal days use will be a couple of hours of screen time web browsing, chatting, texting, picture taking... and 10pm I still have 50% battery.

I think my G2 I still would have had 10% more but I definitely can live with this. I'd hope we'd get a quality 3rd party company with a 3500mah battery but even if they offered a 3200-3300 battery, that would put it in G2 range and go day and a half no problem and be perfect for me.
    Agree. It's gotten better. I've also done a few power cycles from 15% to full charge with the phone off. That's helped too. I get a full day out of it with normal usage, it's when I'm heavily using it that I have to charge somewhere. I also ran into the "This charger is not compatible" with my car charger the other day. Any way, it's still not as good as my G2 and the same charger works great on my G2. I'm going to be switching SIMs this weekend and carrying the G2 next week. I want to see if what I think is true, is true...
    Proud owner of: Black LG G3 & White LG G2
    Gone But Not Forgotten: OG Droid, Dinc, Droid Charge, iPhone 4, Bionic, Razr Maxx & Maxx HD, iPhone 5, SG3, HTC One Maxx, HTC One (M8), iPhone 6, and Droid Turbo (Ask me anything about them. I remember them all.)

23h battery usage, 3h screen on time, 42% remaining. It would be impossible for the G3 to get better battery life than the G2, simply because they are the same capacity with a bigger screen.

There's no reason why someone should pass this phone up based on battery life. All other flagship phones will get roughly the same amount of life, in relation to screen size.

Enabled ART and I seem to be on track for an extra hour of screen on time. I normally get about 4.5 to 5 hours screen on time and I seem to be on track for 6 after enabling ART.

My most recent screen on time :-)

Sent from my LG-D855 using AC Forums mobile app
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How's the LG G3 battery compared to the G2?-1406764581477.jpg  

Im not sure about the g2 the g3 was power hungry mine g5 does very well with battery life as long as I dont run every app in the store. At bedtime sometimes still 50 percent left
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12