Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By VW Maverick
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default LG G3 Signal Strength Values

Please understand that my knowledge of radio technology is minimal, but am I not right to believe that, in measuring a phone signal, -75dBm is better than -85dBm, and that 20asu is better than 10asu? I post this here because there has been much discussion of the G3's signal strength and I want to be certain that I am interpreting the figures the right way.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Signal Strength Values

This is a pretty good base to work from:

LTE Signal Strength Scale:
    *Better than -88dBm is strong
    *Between -89dBm and -96dBm is very good
    *Between -97dBm and -105dBm is good
    *Between -106dBm and -112 dBm is fair
    *Worse than -113dBm is poor

Mav.
    I am polymerized tree sap and you are an inorganic adhesive, so whatever verbal projectile you launch in my direction is reflected off me, returns on its original trajectory and adheres to you.
    Thanked by 3:
    EricWizKidOdom and belodion like this.

Global Posts
    17,429 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Signal values are strange. I found this: How To Measure Cell Signal Strength on Android Phones - Tested

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

VW Maverick: It seems I'm right then. I'm relieved because I've just advised someone accordingly. Then I thought, Have I made a ghastly mistake?

Golfdriver97: Yes, oddly enough I'd just read that before starting the thread. What made me read it was that I'd read in another post somewhere that the values were the other way round, e.g. -85 better than -65.

Thanks to both of you.

Global Posts
    17,429 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by belodion View Post
    VW Maverick: It seems I'm right then. I'm relieved because I've just advised someone accordingly. Then I thought, Have I made a ghastly mistake?

Golfdriver97: Yes, oddly enough I'd just read that before starting the thread. What made me read it was that I'd read in another post somewhere that the values were the other way round, e.g. -85 better than -65.

Thanks to both of you.

No sweat.
    A while back I looked this up and saw a different site that agreed with the one I posted. Since I saw roughly the same info, I just linked it.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:

What's interesting is because of the logarithmic scale used, a 3dBm inscrease in measured signal level actually indicates a doubling of the received signal power. Just shows that mobile signal strength varies over a huge huge range!

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by aldo82 View Post
    What's interesting is because of the logarithmic scale used, a 3dBm inscrease in measured signal level actually indicates a doubling of the received signal power. Just shows that mobile signal strength varies over a huge huge range!

That I did not know. It makes the fluctuations that occur while you're checking the strength in Status all the more surprising, unless these are simply due to inaccuracies in the phone's probably fairly simple measuring system. I understand your concern over G3 signal now.
    Thanks for additional info.

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by VW Maverick View Post
    This is a pretty good base to work from:

LTE Signal Strength Scale:
    *Better than -88dBm is strong
    *Between -89dBm and -96dBm is very good
    *Between -97dBm and -105dBm is good
    *Between -106dBm and -112 dBm is fair
    *Worse than -113dBm is poor

Mav.
    It's good of you to have made this list...it would make a useful cut-out-and-keep for future reference, so I've captured it as a screenshot before the thread disappears downwards.

Thanked by: