Anybody have experience with the G3 and M8?

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Although I will agree that the G3 has better specs my main concern is the UI performance will be lackluster/ "micro" laggy and in turn throw me into an anxiety ridden buyers remorse spiral. I think we can all agree that the UI performance of an Iphone 5s is pretty impressive where as on paper its just like..bro you serious?

My experience with an M8 has been very comparable to the performance of a 5s and because Verizon is late to the game I can only rely on my fellow androidians (sp?)

If you went from 5s to HTC, you'e already increased screen size and phone size by a massive amount. I had the 5 for a bit. You're right, it's silky smooth as all Apple products are, but the screen size was just too small for me. I didn't have problems with laggy UIs on the M8. I just didn't like the M8 and I found the camera to be extremely subpar for my taste. I do use my camera a lot as a camera. I lot. Each month I take pictures for a report and the M8 pictures have definitely decreased the quality of my report. The G2 increased it back to where it should be. The G3 should be even more improved.

Wait. Where the heck was I? Oh ya, I doubt very seriously if the G3 will be laggy.

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
If you went from 5s to HTC, you'e already increased screen size and phone size by a massive amount. I had the 5 for a bit. You're right, it's silky smooth as all Apple products are, but the screen size was just too small for me. I didn't have problems with laggy UIs on the M8. I just didn't like the M8 and I found the camera to be extremely subpar for my taste. I do use my camera a lot as a camera. I lot. Each month I take pictures for a report and the M8 pictures have definitely decreased the quality of my report. The G2 increased it back to where it should be. The G3 should be even more improved.

Wait. Where the heck was I? Oh ya, I doubt very seriously if the G3 will be laggy.

Interesting...I'm not a huge fan of the camera, but I do think its a nice shooter. I never had a 5s, but I've played with them quite a bit. For productivity reasons, Laggy UI's make me want to body slam the phone. Either way i'm out to get honest opinions on the smoothness of the G3, maybe I should make the trip to ATT and hog the phone for a half hour or so.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Interesting...I'm not a huge fan of the camera, but I do think its a nice shooter. I never had a 5s, but I've played with them quite a bit. For productivity reasons, Laggy UI's make me want to body slam the phone. Either way i'm out to get honest opinions on the smoothness of the G3, maybe I should make the trip to ATT and hog the phone for a half hour or so.

The Lag I have experienced is just when entering the app drawer, this only lasts for a split second then settles and is smooth :)

There will be software updates to which I'm sure that will iron out any imperfections :)

Posted via Android Central App

evobassfish

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Have you guys tried unlocking the developers option and turning off the graphics transition to combat this so called lagginess?

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't have the G3 yet, but comparing the two is like comparing oranges to grapefruit. The M8 has a smaller battery, smaller screen, bigger speakers, and I believe a slower processor and less RAM. However, the M8 is the same height and only a little narrower than an M8. Meaning those big speakers take up a lot of room.

So, what are you trying to accomplish?
  • Bigger display? G3
  • Better Sound? M8
  • Top of the Line for the Manufacturer? Both
  • Faster? Should be the G3
  • Less Bezel? G3

I had the M8 and sold it to go back to my G2. With that being said, I did pre-order the G3 today.

M8....should be faster than the G3 at nearly everything. Honest opinion, everything seems to point to this. A later special edition with the 805 chip could change things, but with an 801 against an 801 the M8 wins with its lower rez and tight interface kit. The G3 needs that newer SoC and newer Adreno model. Well, and if it gets a second model with the 805 I guess we'll see if they can do anything more for the screen...

I myself prefer a (modded) G2 over the M8, but if I had either, I would hesitate on the G3. Instead I have a Flex, and I am waiting for more leaks about a possible replacement.

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I had the M8 and returned it because it was too narrow for me and the camera truly sucked. The speakers were great (although still not nearly as loud as my four year old Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 with it's stereo speakers. The M8 is a seriously well-crafted device and I really hated to let it go in some ways. Those two sticking points were just too much. This G3, although I have never had it in my hands, is impressive but I like others think the 2560 screen is way overkill...and the GPU and battery are more likely to be issues. It just doesn't make sense practically speaking. Yes, from a marketing stance, they are the first with the QHD display, and that will certainly result in higher sales, especially since they were able to keep the cost well below the $650/$700 M8. The discussion of lag bothers me because as we all know, devices get more laggy the older they are and this doesn't bode well for a brand-new state-of-the-art device. The heat issue as well...it all makes me a bit nervous.

I'm always holding out for something...and maybe I'll be holding out for the M9, hoping for larger display and for them to finally wake up from the nightmare and eliminate the horrible Ultra-pixel camera with the goofy focus tricks.

alias3800

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm on the same boat, as far as wanting to try both out. I currently have had the m8, but I've had virtually every other flagship for some amount of time. The smoothest device I've had is this m8, on ART and running GPE software through Nova launcher. Right up there with the Nexus 5, both of which I find smoother than the iPhone 5S. That being said, those stutters and drops in framerate that everyone keeps talking about on the G3 would be really noticeable to me. And annoying. So my hope is that on ART, Nova launcher and with reduced animations, the G3 can be smooth. Then I'll go ahead and sidegrade to that, so to speak. The m8 camera isn't terrible if you know how to adjust its exposure on the fly, but I wouldn't mind a slightly better one ;)

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
The literal saving grace for M8 camera is the 'saved profiles' especially once you set one up for shooting in daylight. I like its potential for 'pop' but I needed more raw pixels.

There will be tons of G3 samples and impressions from users shortly, Sprint launched today.

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
I've read in reviews that this was an issue with Korean models. Hopefully it doesn't have an impact on the ones distributed in the US.

Dude..I know you stated you had the n5 and m8 and was getting the G3 with the 14 day return policy (if needed) now that you've had it for a bit. I'm curious to what your overall impression of the phone is. I have until Thursday to decide.

Advice?

isitme

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Like others have posted, I have tried (i think) every flagship out right now. The M8 is awesome, but too narrow to me now. The G3 feels great in hand like the S5. The M8 is much smoother than the G3, but it seems like an update could fix this (hopefully.) battery life with the G3 hasn't been too bad but it does heat up quickly when using it. I'm currently testing (not hijacking, I promise) the Find 7 QHD & the G3 to see which I prefer as my daily driver. Even with ART enabled the G3 is not much better than COS on the Oppo.. No clue how this will end up, but Oppo wins for the screen and G3 for how good it feels in hand ( Surprisingly light too). If you prefer a smaller phone, the M8 is no joke. Best build quality I have seen and liquidy smooth.

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Dude..I know you stated you had the n5 and m8 and was getting the G3 with the 14 day return policy (if needed) now that you've had it for a bit. I'm curious to what your overall impression of the phone is. I have until Thursday to decide.

Advice?

Well, I've had the phone since Friday now, so I'm a little more comfortable sharing my thoughts on it. Despite what some have said, I love the screen. The colors pop, it's bright, and is awesome for watching video. Battery life so far has been acceptable by my standards, about the same as I have been getting with my M8. The speakers on the G3 are surprisingly good, but unfortunately don't come close to what is offered on the M8. I'm still pleased with LG's UI, and have yet to switch to Nova launcher like I usually do with my phones. After switching to ART I have had no noticeable lag. It's safe to say I won't be returning the device, and that the G3 is going to be my daily driver for a pretty good amount of time. I would definitely recommend it.

Sent from my LG G3 using Tapatalk

y2jdmbfan

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm going back to the M8. The G3 camera wasn't reliable in low light conditions, took forever to focus, hard to tell when it was taking pics or not. I missed a bunch of shots that I thought I took, and later realized it had taken the pic, might have been user error. But the M8 is much snappier, and the QHD screen is definitely a gimmick. The text looks better on my M8 due to the bad sharpening effects. I also miss BlinkFeed...

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm going back to the M8. The G3 camera wasn't reliable in low light conditions, took forever to focus, hard to tell when it was taking pics or not. I missed a bunch of shots that I thought I took, and later realized it had taken the pic, might have been user error. But the M8 is much snappier, and the QHD screen is definitely a gimmick. The text looks better on my M8 due to the bad sharpening effects. I also miss BlinkFeed...

Well obviously the M8 is your best match, that said I personally have not experienced any of your issues.

And text looks great on the G3 as does pictures and everything else really and no sharpening for me, I have stated my views is it a million times better than 1080p? No its not.

Is it crisp, clear and precise? Yes it is and I like it, gimmick or not the display is great :)

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site

Other than Blinkfeed, I would figure you were going back to the G2. Very slick little number especially after 4.4 rolled on it. People like Blinkfeed?

Well obviously the M8 is your best match, that said I personally have not experienced any of your issues.

And text looks great on the G3 as does pictures and everything else really and no sharpening for me, I have stated my views is it a million times better than 1080p? No its not.

Is it crisp, clear and precise? Yes it is and I like it, gimmick or not the display is great :)

I had really mixed feelings comparing the G3 screen to my Flex screen. It was absolutely sharper but got very warm in only a few minutes of web and PDF viewing. And it felt like I needed a magnifying glass to really benefit from the extra pixels, humans should not be reading fonts less than 2mm tall....

I feel that the color and contrast on G3 was not as good as my Flex although brightness was similar, and the battery life is much less. Coupled with missing preferences for Landscape home screen and Knockon, I pretty much lost interest :/ I will keep my movie machine.

Screenshot_2014-07-15-16-09-53.png

This looks just fine at 720x1280 on a 6" true-pixel screen, very similar to the 1080p pentile screens. I think the best aspect of the G3 is still photo sharpness not oversharped text...but I edit on the PC so it's not enough to move me.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles