Anybody have experience with the G3 and M8?

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone have experience with the HTC One M8 and the LG G3? I recently purchased an M8 through verizon. I have 30 days (business account) to return the device under their "worry free guarantee" program. Clearly the devices are very different in design approach. I am very familiar with hardware differences but because I've never spent time with a G3 and wont be able to until July 17th I am wondering what others experiences have been with the operation of the UI. The M8 is extremely fluid and responsive(comparable to the 5s IMO). I had an S5 (for two weeks) and the responsiveness of touchwiz is undoubtedly a couple steps behind sense. I did play around with my friends G2 for awhile and the UI seemed "touchwizy" is this the same experience on the G3, please be honest I know posting on a G3 thread

oldschoolsig

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
I will be deciding over the next few weeks over m8 or g3,coming from a g2 on AT&T that was a great transition from iPhone. Lag,battery issues and radio weakness would be the only factors that might have me go m8. Anyone with anecdotal on both?

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

americasteam

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I currently have both. The M8 is much smoother. The G3 does have micro lags. Its not horrible, but it's not silky smooth either.

Where this thing shines is the screen. The extra pixels and size really make a huge difference. I don't even like picking up and looking at the M8 anymore.

G3 speaker is plenty loud. Not dual and front firing speakers like the M8, but does the job nicely.

Just got the G3 today, so have no comment on battery life.

Signal seems slightly better on the G3.

Both are great devices and you can't go wrong with either one.

Just some quick thoughts. As always, YMMV.

oldschoolsig

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
I currently have both. The M8 is much smoother. The G3 does have micro lags. Its not horrible, but it's not silky smooth either.

Where this thing shines is the screen. The extra pixels and size really make a huge difference. I don't even like picking up and looking at the M8 anymore.

G3 speaker is plenty loud. Not dual and front firing speakers like the M8, but does the job nicely.

Lags with nova?

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

I can't comment on the M8 but as for points mentioned on the G3 are accurate.

I also experience a bit of lag, not jumping in and out of apps, its the app drawer scrolling, its settles after 1 second and it butter smooth.

I assume updates will cure this, but I did not think the 3gb of ram version would have any issues.

Posted via Android Central App

americasteam

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Lags with nova?

Yeah, that's what I'm using. Not as much in the launcher, but some stuttering when opening/closing apps and some micro stuttering at times when scrolling. Sometimes it's smooth and others it's not. I'm really picky about smooth UI, but I think I can live with it with the higher res screen. Its not near as bad as the S5 was on launch.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I used a g3 for 4 days in the UK. Returned it due to poor signal and changed for a HTC one m8. In my experience coming from a nexus 5, the m8 ui is so much more fluid and speedy and feels like stock android plus useful enhancements. Sadly I found the g3 to be laggy and overall slower in use (opening apps etc than my nexus 5) which was disappointing when it was supposed to be an upgrade! The ui reminded me of touchwiz from my s3 which wasn't pleasant. It's better of course but quite bloated coming from a nexus. Sense 6 in my opinion is much much better.

As for the screen, it's nice and was the reason I originally went g3 but it's not stunning and isn't the brightest nor the most contrasty. I actually prefer the screen on the m8 now I have it. Better contrast and better brightness. I don't miss the extra pixels. I do miss the size a little but the narrower screen on the m8 is slightly more usable one handed for my size hands despite the larger bezels.

The g3 also got much warmer in use than the m8 does!

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I used a g3 for 4 days in the UK. Returned it due to poor signal and changed for a HTC one m8. In my experience coming from a nexus 5, the m8 ui is so much more fluid and speedy and feels like stock android plus useful enhancements. Sadly I found the g3 to be laggy and overall slower in use (opening apps etc than my nexus 5) which was disappointing when it was supposed to be an upgrade! The ui reminded me of touchwiz from my s3 which wasn't pleasant. It's better of course but quite bloated coming from a nexus. Sense 6 in my opinion is much much better.

As for the screen, it's nice and was the reason I originally went g3 but it's not stunning and isn't the brightest nor the most contrasty. I actually prefer the screen on the m8 now I have it. Better contrast and better brightness. I don't miss the extra pixels. I do miss the size a little but the narrower screen on the m8 is slightly more usable one handed for my size hands despite the larger bezels.

The g3 also got much warmer in use than the m8 does!

Is the Brightness more of a hardware or software limitation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Is the Brightness more of a hardware or software limitation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't a clue but I think there are reports of it limiting brightness when it gets too hot so I think it could be related to both. It could probably go brighter but it would get too hot and use topo much power so the software stops it

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Haven't a clue but I think there are reports of it limiting brightness when it gets too hot so I think it could be related to both. It could probably go brighter but it would get too hot and use topo much power so the software stops it

I've read in reviews that this was an issue with Korean models. Hopefully it doesn't have an impact on the ones distributed in the US.

trido#AC

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
for me camera means alot and under certain bright SUN condition I did not like M8.
Will be getting G3 friday,I compared some LG G2 photos to me that Lg camera is better than M8 over all.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Reading XDA forums, people that have enabled ART on the G3 said the phone ran smoother/lag free.

americasteam

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Reading XDA forums, people that have enabled ART on the G3 said the phone ran smoother/lag free.
I'm running ART. It may have made a slight difference, but nothing major. It is what it is and will be this way until we can start flashing custom software.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I don't have the G3 yet, but comparing the two is like comparing oranges to grapefruit. The M8 has a smaller battery, smaller screen, bigger speakers, and I believe a slower processor and less RAM. However, the M8 is the same height and only a little narrower than an M8. Meaning those big speakers take up a lot of room.

So, what are you trying to accomplish?
  • Bigger display? G3
  • Better Sound? M8
  • Top of the Line for the Manufacturer? Both
  • Faster? Should be the G3
  • Less Bezel? G3

I had the M8 and sold it to go back to my G2. With that being said, I did pre-order the G3 today.

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
I don't have the G3 yet, but comparing the two is like comparing oranges to grapefruit. The M8 has a smaller battery, smaller screen, bigger speakers, and I believe a slower processor and less RAM. However, the M8 is the same height and only a little narrower than an M8. Meaning those big speakers take up a lot of room.

So, what are you trying to accomplish?
  • Bigger display? G3
  • Better Sound? M8
  • Top of the Line for the Manufacturer? Both
  • Faster? Should be the G3
  • Less Bezel? G3

I had the M8 and sold it to go back to my G2. With that being said, I did pre-order the G3 today.

Although I will agree that the G3 has better specs my main concern is the UI performance will be lackluster/ "micro" laggy and in turn throw me into an anxiety ridden buyers remorse spiral. I think we can all agree that the UI performance of an Iphone 5s is pretty impressive where as on paper its just like..bro you serious?

My experience with an M8 has been very comparable to the performance of a 5s and because Verizon is late to the game I can only rely on my fellow androidians (sp?)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000