Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 59
Like Tree11Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    billbrobaggins's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    339 Posts
    Global Posts
    359 Global Posts

    Talking Anybody have experience with the G3 and M8?

    Does anyone have experience with the HTC One M8 and the LG G3? I recently purchased an M8 through verizon. I have 30 days (business account) to return the device under their "worry free guarantee" program. Clearly the devices are very different in design approach. I am very familiar with hardware differences but because I've never spent time with a G3 and wont be able to until July 17th I am wondering what others experiences have been with the operation of the UI. The M8 is extremely fluid and responsive(comparable to the 5s IMO). I had an S5 (for two weeks) and the responsiveness of touchwiz is undoubtedly a couple steps behind sense. I did play around with my friends G2 for awhile and the UI seemed "touchwizy" is this the same experience on the G3, please be honest I know posting on a G3 thread
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Anybody have experience with the G3 and M8?

    I will be deciding over the next few weeks over m8 or g3,coming from a g2 on AT&T that was a great transition from iPhone. Lag,battery issues and radio weakness would be the only factors that might have me go m8. Anyone with anecdotal on both?

    Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
  3. #3  

    Default

    I currently have both. The M8 is much smoother. The G3 does have micro lags. Its not horrible, but it's not silky smooth either.

    Where this thing shines is the screen. The extra pixels and size really make a huge difference. I don't even like picking up and looking at the M8 anymore.

    G3 speaker is plenty loud. Not dual and front firing speakers like the M8, but does the job nicely.

    Just got the G3 today, so have no comment on battery life.

    Signal seems slightly better on the G3.

    Both are great devices and you can't go wrong with either one.

    Just some quick thoughts. As always, YMMV.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Anybody have experience with the G3 and M8?

    Quote Originally Posted by americasteam View Post
    I currently have both. The M8 is much smoother. The G3 does have micro lags. Its not horrible, but it's not silky smooth either.

    Where this thing shines is the screen. The extra pixels and size really make a huge difference. I don't even like picking up and looking at the M8 anymore.

    G3 speaker is plenty loud. Not dual and front firing speakers like the M8, but does the job nicely.

    Just got the G3 today, so have no comment on battery life.

    Signal seems slightly better on the G3.

    Both are great devices and you can't go wrong with either one.

    Just some quick thoughts. As always, YMMV.
    Lags with nova?

    Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
  5. #5  
    Duncan1982's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,916 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,920 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by americasteam View Post
    I currently have both. The M8 is much smoother. The G3 does have micro lags. Its not horrible, but it's not silky smooth either.

    Where this thing shines is the screen. The extra pixels and size really make a huge difference. I don't even like picking up and looking at the M8 anymore.

    G3 speaker is plenty loud. Not dual and front firing speakers like the M8, but does the job nicely.

    Just got the G3 today, so have no comment on battery life.

    Signal seems slightly better on the G3.

    Both are great devices and you can't go wrong with either one.

    Just some quick thoughts. As always, YMMV.
    I can't comment on the M8 but as for points mentioned on the G3 are accurate.

    I also experience a bit of lag, not jumping in and out of apps, its the app drawer scrolling, its settles after 1 second and it butter smooth.

    I assume updates will cure this, but I did not think the 3gb of ram version would have any issues.

    Posted via Android Central App
    rahxephon likes this.
  6. #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldschoolsig View Post
    Lags with nova?

    Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    Yeah, that's what I'm using. Not as much in the launcher, but some stuttering when opening/closing apps and some micro stuttering at times when scrolling. Sometimes it's smooth and others it's not. I'm really picky about smooth UI, but I think I can live with it with the higher res screen. Its not near as bad as the S5 was on launch.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Anybody have experience with the G3 and M8?

    I used a g3 for 4 days in the UK. Returned it due to poor signal and changed for a HTC one m8. In my experience coming from a nexus 5, the m8 ui is so much more fluid and speedy and feels like stock android plus useful enhancements. Sadly I found the g3 to be laggy and overall slower in use (opening apps etc than my nexus 5) which was disappointing when it was supposed to be an upgrade! The ui reminded me of touchwiz from my s3 which wasn't pleasant. It's better of course but quite bloated coming from a nexus. Sense 6 in my opinion is much much better.

    As for the screen, it's nice and was the reason I originally went g3 but it's not stunning and isn't the brightest nor the most contrasty. I actually prefer the screen on the m8 now I have it. Better contrast and better brightness. I don't miss the extra pixels. I do miss the size a little but the narrower screen on the m8 is slightly more usable one handed for my size hands despite the larger bezels.

    The g3 also got much warmer in use than the m8 does!

    Posted via Android Central App
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Anybody have experience with the G3 and M8?

    Quote Originally Posted by aldo82 View Post
    I used a g3 for 4 days in the UK. Returned it due to poor signal and changed for a HTC one m8. In my experience coming from a nexus 5, the m8 ui is so much more fluid and speedy and feels like stock android plus useful enhancements. Sadly I found the g3 to be laggy and overall slower in use (opening apps etc than my nexus 5) which was disappointing when it was supposed to be an upgrade! The ui reminded me of touchwiz from my s3 which wasn't pleasant. It's better of course but quite bloated coming from a nexus. Sense 6 in my opinion is much much better.

    As for the screen, it's nice and was the reason I originally went g3 but it's not stunning and isn't the brightest nor the most contrasty. I actually prefer the screen on the m8 now I have it. Better contrast and better brightness. I don't miss the extra pixels. I do miss the size a little but the narrower screen on the m8 is slightly more usable one handed for my size hands despite the larger bezels.

    The g3 also got much warmer in use than the m8 does!

    Posted via Android Central App
    Is the Brightness more of a hardware or software limitation?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Anybody have experience with the G3 and M8?

    Quote Originally Posted by cnotes2019 View Post
    Is the Brightness more of a hardware or software limitation?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Haven't a clue but I think there are reports of it limiting brightness when it gets too hot so I think it could be related to both. It could probably go brighter but it would get too hot and use topo much power so the software stops it

    Posted via Android Central App
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  
    billbrobaggins's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    339 Posts
    Global Posts
    359 Global Posts

    Default Re: Anybody have experience with the G3 and M8?

    Which version of the G3 do you have?
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Anybody have experience with the G3 and M8?

    Quote Originally Posted by aldo82 View Post
    Haven't a clue but I think there are reports of it limiting brightness when it gets too hot so I think it could be related to both. It could probably go brighter but it would get too hot and use topo much power so the software stops it

    Posted via Android Central App
    I've read in reviews that this was an issue with Korean models. Hopefully it doesn't have an impact on the ones distributed in the US.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  
    billbrobaggins's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    339 Posts
    Global Posts
    359 Global Posts

    Default Re: Anybody have experience with the G3 and M8?

    Well.. just found out that the verizon G3 has a non-removable battery. FAIL.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Anybody have experience with the G3 and M8?

    Quote Originally Posted by billbrobaggins View Post
    Well.. just found out that the verizon G3 has a non-removable battery. FAIL.
    Probably going to be another built-in Qi charging exclusive much like the G2, in that case.
  14. #14  
    dmullins8's Avatar

    Posts
    45 Posts
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

    Default Re: Anybody have experience with the G3 and M8?

    Quote Originally Posted by billbrobaggins View Post
    Well.. just found out that the verizon G3 has a non-removable battery. FAIL.
    Misprint as someone in another thread pointed out if you download the VZW instructions it clearly shows you how to remove the cover and battery.

    Posted via Android Central App
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  
    billbrobaggins's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    339 Posts
    Global Posts
    359 Global Posts

    Default Re: Anybody have experience with the G3 and M8?

    thank GOD
    Quote Originally Posted by dmullins8 View Post
    Misprint as someone in another thread pointed out if you download the VZW instructions it clearly shows you how to remove the cover and battery.

    Posted via Android Central App
  16. #16  
    trido#AC's Avatar

    Posts
    92 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts

    Default Re: Anybody have experience with the G3 and M8?

    for me camera means alot and under certain bright SUN condition I did not like M8.
    Will be getting G3 friday,I compared some LG G2 photos to me that Lg camera is better than M8 over all.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Anybody have experience with the G3 and M8?

    Reading XDA forums, people that have enabled ART on the G3 said the phone ran smoother/lag free.

    Quote Originally Posted by americasteam View Post
    I currently have both. The M8 is much smoother. The G3 does have micro lags. Its not horrible, but it's not silky smooth either.

    Where this thing shines is the screen. The extra pixels and size really make a huge difference. I don't even like picking up and looking at the M8 anymore.

    G3 speaker is plenty loud. Not dual and front firing speakers like the M8, but does the job nicely.

    Just got the G3 today, so have no comment on battery life.

    Signal seems slightly better on the G3.

    Both are great devices and you can't go wrong with either one.

    Just some quick thoughts. As always, YMMV.
    HushH likes this.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Anybody have experience with the G3 and M8?

    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    Reading XDA forums, people that have enabled ART on the G3 said the phone ran smoother/lag free.
    I'm running ART. It may have made a slight difference, but nothing major. It is what it is and will be this way until we can start flashing custom software.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Anybody have experience with the G3 and M8?

    I don't have the G3 yet, but comparing the two is like comparing oranges to grapefruit. The M8 has a smaller battery, smaller screen, bigger speakers, and I believe a slower processor and less RAM. However, the M8 is the same height and only a little narrower than an M8. Meaning those big speakers take up a lot of room.

    So, what are you trying to accomplish?
    • Bigger display? G3
    • Better Sound? M8
    • Top of the Line for the Manufacturer? Both
    • Faster? Should be the G3
    • Less Bezel? G3



    I had the M8 and sold it to go back to my G2. With that being said, I did pre-order the G3 today.
    wnflyer likes this.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  
    billbrobaggins's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    339 Posts
    Global Posts
    359 Global Posts

    Default Re: Anybody have experience with the G3 and M8?

    Quote Originally Posted by scottysize View Post
    I don't have the G3 yet, but comparing the two is like comparing oranges to grapefruit. The M8 has a smaller battery, smaller screen, bigger speakers, and I believe a slower processor and less RAM. However, the M8 is the same height and only a little narrower than an M8. Meaning those big speakers take up a lot of room.

    So, what are you trying to accomplish?
    • Bigger display? G3
    • Better Sound? M8
    • Top of the Line for the Manufacturer? Both
    • Faster? Should be the G3
    • Less Bezel? G3



    I had the M8 and sold it to go back to my G2. With that being said, I did pre-order the G3 today.
    Although I will agree that the G3 has better specs my main concern is the UI performance will be lackluster/ "micro" laggy and in turn throw me into an anxiety ridden buyers remorse spiral. I think we can all agree that the UI performance of an Iphone 5s is pretty impressive where as on paper its just like..bro you serious?

    My experience with an M8 has been very comparable to the performance of a 5s and because Verizon is late to the game I can only rely on my fellow androidians (sp?)
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Anybody have experience with the G3 and M8?

    Quote Originally Posted by billbrobaggins View Post
    Although I will agree that the G3 has better specs my main concern is the UI performance will be lackluster/ "micro" laggy and in turn throw me into an anxiety ridden buyers remorse spiral. I think we can all agree that the UI performance of an Iphone 5s is pretty impressive where as on paper its just like..bro you serious?

    My experience with an M8 has been very comparable to the performance of a 5s and because Verizon is late to the game I can only rely on my fellow androidians (sp?)
    If you went from 5s to HTC, you'e already increased screen size and phone size by a massive amount. I had the 5 for a bit. You're right, it's silky smooth as all Apple products are, but the screen size was just too small for me. I didn't have problems with laggy UIs on the M8. I just didn't like the M8 and I found the camera to be extremely subpar for my taste. I do use my camera a lot as a camera. I lot. Each month I take pictures for a report and the M8 pictures have definitely decreased the quality of my report. The G2 increased it back to where it should be. The G3 should be even more improved.

    Wait. Where the heck was I? Oh ya, I doubt very seriously if the G3 will be laggy.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Anybody have experience with the G3 and M8?

    The G3 is laggy, especially compared to the m8.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  
    billbrobaggins's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    339 Posts
    Global Posts
    359 Global Posts

    Default Re: Anybody have experience with the G3 and M8?

    Quote Originally Posted by scottysize View Post
    If you went from 5s to HTC, you'e already increased screen size and phone size by a massive amount. I had the 5 for a bit. You're right, it's silky smooth as all Apple products are, but the screen size was just too small for me. I didn't have problems with laggy UIs on the M8. I just didn't like the M8 and I found the camera to be extremely subpar for my taste. I do use my camera a lot as a camera. I lot. Each month I take pictures for a report and the M8 pictures have definitely decreased the quality of my report. The G2 increased it back to where it should be. The G3 should be even more improved.

    Wait. Where the heck was I? Oh ya, I doubt very seriously if the G3 will be laggy.
    Interesting...I'm not a huge fan of the camera, but I do think its a nice shooter. I never had a 5s, but I've played with them quite a bit. For productivity reasons, Laggy UI's make me want to body slam the phone. Either way i'm out to get honest opinions on the smoothness of the G3, maybe I should make the trip to ATT and hog the phone for a half hour or so.
  24. #24  
    Duncan1982's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,916 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,920 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by billbrobaggins View Post
    Interesting...I'm not a huge fan of the camera, but I do think its a nice shooter. I never had a 5s, but I've played with them quite a bit. For productivity reasons, Laggy UI's make me want to body slam the phone. Either way i'm out to get honest opinions on the smoothness of the G3, maybe I should make the trip to ATT and hog the phone for a half hour or so.
    The Lag I have experienced is just when entering the app drawer, this only lasts for a split second then settles and is smooth :-)

    There will be software updates to which I'm sure that will iron out any imperfections :-)

    Posted via Android Central App
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Anybody have experience with the G3 and M8?

    And I'm guessing you have the AT&T version correct with the 3gb of RAM?

    Quote Originally Posted by americasteam View Post
    I'm running ART. It may have made a slight difference, but nothing major. It is what it is and will be this way until we can start flashing custom software.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Completely Bricked My Phone (HTC One M8)
    By oldgreg101 in forum HTC One M8 Rooting, ROMs, & Hacks
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-25-2014, 12:45 PM
  2. Have a using Odin and pc question
    By bigmatt503 in forum Samsung Galaxy S5 Rooting, ROMs & Hacks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-17-2014, 07:58 PM
  3. Tablet Wont Work Unless I Hold Both Sides Together At The Same Time
    By Kady1422 in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2012)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-10-2014, 12:06 PM
  4. Cel-Fi and unlocked Moto X - does it work?
    By bdlmotox in forum Moto X (2013)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-10-2014, 02:23 AM
  5. Could I have contracted a virus/malware on my S4?
    By AC Question in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-09-2014, 01:41 PM

Posting Permissions