How does the LG G3 compare to the Galaxy S5?

trido#AC

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
i took back the s 5 2 days ago. ATT manager went in the back brought out a G3 for me to check out I am going to say no I dont think it felt larger.Solid more so than S5.
I hope to know more friday at 9 am.

Anybody upgrade to a lg g3 from s5? Is it much bigger in hand?

Posted via Android Central App

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
I am upgrading from S5 to G3 and side by side at the stupid they were virtually the same size. G3 felt better in my hand and with smaller bezels it was easy to reach the entire screen one handed

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I too am coming from the S5 and this definitely feels way better in the hand and obviously the screen is a little better pixel wise. I'll post a mini review this weekend after some use and reference the switch

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I had the S5. Sold because low light camera and little slow and laggy.

I think the screen on the S5 is better but that's about it.

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

You thought the screen on the S5 was better? Was it because it was a little bit more accurate? I feel like overall the screen on the G3 is better but the S5 has the best 1080p screen ever on a smartphone. This screen doesn't portray white or black as well as the S5 but the black part has to do with the S5 being AMOLED.

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
You thought the screen on the S5 was better? Was it because it was a little bit more accurate? I feel like overall the screen on the G3 is better but the S5 has the best 1080p screen ever on a smartphone. This screen doesn't portray white or black as well as the S5 but the black part has to do with the S5 being AMOLED.

I think the screen is better on the S5 because of the deeper blacks and better contrast. Maybe the over sharpening on fonts has something to do with it too.

MrBungle999

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
The g3 seems to have a more yellow tint compared to g2 which side my side was much brighter and whiter

eddyknights

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
how is the g3 a million tiimes better the galaxy 5 is a better screen deep blacks more vivid brighter more contrast..alo while using apps like fb n instagram the samsung galaxy 5 is beautifu while the g3 since it has a 2 k display u can see the imperfections in the pictures people post n it over sharpens

AndyLu

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
The s5 had a beautiful screen. I the contrast is hard to tell. But I do notice the g3 is a little brighter. I dim the screen all the way down and the g3 is still too bright.
The g3 doesn't have as much as a lag as the s5. Using Nova launcher has made the the g3 quicker.
My only thing is the g3 sound quality isn't on par with the s5. But having 3gb ram is better for me since I'm a heavy user.
Battery life I can't comment yet because I've had the phone since yesterday and haven't charged it to a full cycle.
Camera quality is way better on the g3. Fast at taking pictures and the front facing camera is better than the s5. The lag on the s5 is grueling.
Hope that helps

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site

Rarely use the camera and haven't noticed any lag. As for the display, it's amazing what Samsung produced. IMO it's the one to beat, this was also one of the reason why I returned/sold my M8 and Z2. I said it many time the S5 with all the features and options so far is my Super Phone of 2014.

I also think what LG did with the size of the G3 is amazing, too bad hTc & Sony couldn't pull if off...again it's the reason why I still have the S5.

August 1 will be interesting when it comes out up here. I can't wait to compare the two.

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
My personal opinion:

S5 for: better screen (outside of resolution) better battery, better daytime camera, ip67, better one hand use, better for fitness buffs (I used it for bike rides and running)

G3 for: large screen in small frame, loudspeaker, ui, screen resolution to show of to friends.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
My personal opinion:

S5 for: better screen (outside of resolution) better battery, better daytime camera, ip67, better one hand use, better for fitness buffs (I used it for bike rides and running)

G3 for: large screen in small frame, loudspeaker, ui, screen resolution to show of to friends.

The G3 has 32GB internal storage which the S5 has yet to come out with. If it did, I might have an S5.

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
The G3 has 32GB internal storage which the S5 has yet to come out with. If it did I might have an S5.
Eh, I didn't include that as if doesn't really sway me. What I miss about the s5 was the better battery life, a spare battery kit (lg doesn't have one which is absolutely ridiculous) better screen and charged fast. I also love the ip67 however I'll be returning my G3 for my nexus 5. If I find a decent s5 I might get one.

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm on pace for over 6 hours of on-screen battery life today, so I would say the S5 and G3 have similar battery endurance.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Eh, I didn't include that as if doesn't really sway me. What I miss about the s5 was the better battery life, a spare battery kit (lg doesn't have one which is absolutely ridiculous) better screen and charged fast. I also love the ip67 however I'll be returning my G3 for my nexus 5. If I find a decent s5 I might get one.

With the amount of space the OS takes up and the maximum bloat I insist on 32GB internal before getting a Sammy and it looks like LG is not too far behind in the OS space and bloatware. Luckily, I have 22 + GB's left after having almost all my stuff installed the way I like, not sure what it would have been with a S5 with 16 GB?

Last edited:

parapluie

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I have been hearing about overheating problems with the G3, to the point where people have to turn down brightness levels or stop using the phone for a while. I really hope that isn't the norm. Anyone have experience with that?