Five Reasons Not to Buy the G3

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I once had an S3 and you are right.

If I remember correctly isn't there a setting on the S3 that allows you to change the animation transitions? I can't seem to find that on the G3. Maybe that's what some people perceive as lag.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I have always set all my phones to 0 on windows animation, animator duration & transition animation. You will find the settings in the developer options which you can see after tapping on the build number (settings, about phone, software information) 7 times. I also set the runtime to ART.

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I leave my animations alone or go to .5x
If the phone is lagging the animations do not make it any worse. I quick animation is a seamless transition to the eye. Real lag makes you crazy. I know the visual effects are pointless but I like them.

Earlier I was the one who brought up the Droid DNA. My only point there was that increased graphics with the same specs otherwise made the phone slower in benchmark testing. And I will reiterate that until the next fundamental hardware jump which I believe to be 64 bit hardware any phone you consider is just a touch better than the last. That is my reasoning not to buy the G3 (the whole point to this thread). I am not knocking this phone. The S5 in my pocket would be way easier to pick on.

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I just got my G3 today also, I noticed zero lag and lightning fast. I love it. I'm coming from a Galaxy s3
That is because your coming from a GS3. If you were coming from an iphone or a Nexus 5, you would probably notice it.

Last edited:

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I got my LG G3 Wednesday from AT&T. I've not noticed any lag. It's lightning fast. I did go through and disable a lot of bloatware...
I have been astounded at the battery life. I'm a pretty moderate to heavy user, and it given me a full day with battery to spare. Its got a battery saving mode that you can set to start at any percentage of the battery. There's nothing on this phone that isn't customizable. Doesn't seem to have a voice Mic on the keyboard. Only thing I'm still trying to figure out...

Posted from my LG G3

Took me a while to find it also. Press and hold the cog left of spacebar and three more icons appear one of them is the mic and then just flick your thumb or finger up to touch it and it will activate the voice typing.

oldschoolsig

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Maybe. But having a 2012 GS3 and an iPhone 5, i can tell which one had lag and which one does not. Point is, everything is comparative

Performance is always comparative and in ways subjective. Just stating that there is no lag on this device for me,and I'm fairly critical and almost didn't pick it up due to the lag comments. I'm glad I did.

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Performance is always comparative and in ways subjective. Just stating that there is no lag on this device for me,and I'm fairly critical and almost didn't pick it up due to the lag comments. I'm glad I did.

+1 very subjective. This is why TouchWiz is either the best or the worst skin depending on who you ask. Because of the half second of lag opening any app.

I'll never understand why manufacturers have to have skins. If a manufacturer made a skin that was basically stock android it would save them money, perform better, and I'm betting be very well received by us geeks. Power saving mode is the only feature I would miss if my S5 was stock android.

Posted via Android Central App

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
+1 very subjective. This is why TouchWiz is either the best or the worst skin depending on who you ask. Because of the half second of lag opening any app.

I'll never understand why manufacturers have to have skins. If a manufacturer made a skin that was basically stock android it would save them money, perform better, and I'm betting be very well received by us geeks. Power saving mode is the only feature I would miss if my S5 was stock android.

I am glad there are skins as many of the features that have come to android have come from skins. I remember my Captivate having a pull down notification shade waaay before the Nexus. Also dialer improvements over the versions of android. The only issue is when they get over bloated and take 5 or 6 GB of space...and slow down performance.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Many features can be added as apps or as a part of the launcher. Obviously notifications and dialer tend to be pretty deeply integrated with the firmware and so at least require root, but !most of what TouchWiz and Sense bring could be done modularly and it'd improve their respective systems, IMO.

Nexus through spacetime. Android Central Moderator.

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site

The whole idea of Android is based on openness. Google gives Android for free for a reason. They want their services on as many handsets as possible. That is the way Google makes its revenue.

OEM handset makers have every incentive to customize Android to differentiate their phones for the hordes of others in the Android market. They cannot differentiate on design since all phones are now boring candy bar design. They cannot differentiate on hardware since almost all of them use 801/805 SoC, 2 gigs of ram, and 1080 screens.

That leaves SD cards and removable batteries and the UI. That is all the OEMs have to make their phone stand form all the others in the increasingly crowded and profit less (Samsung being the exception) Android market. (The ASP of an Android phone has dropped from 441$ in 2010 to 254$ in 2014.)

If Google takes skins away from them, then the OEMs might as well fork Android and go their own way. It is dangerous for OEMs to do so because they can fail. But it is also dangerous for Google to take skins away because if OEMs succeed on their own google loses a source of advertising revenue. It is a mutually beneficial relationship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
if QHD is going to bring lag to cpu and gpu, then why do we even need QHD, from what i can see, FHD is much more than enough for such a small screen.

For the simple reason that LG wanted to add it to the spec line. Adding a QHD and limiting its brightness to preserve battery life is does not make much sense besides marketing. You will be hard pressed to notice a difference between a good 1080p screen and a good 1440p screen.

Read the Anandtech article on the G3 and all the compromises that LG did to add the 1440p screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
More geared towards heavier users, since light to medium users should love the G3. This statement makes no sense.. was that intentional?

1. Qhd display is a weak fit for the 801. Per several reviews (Anandtech as example) the 801 is operating at it's gpu ceiling with Qhd.

2. In a few months there will likely be an 805 version to help battle against the iPhone 6. The gpu is designed to handle higher res better due to more memory bandwidth and higher gpu clock. Also the battery life is expected to be improved over the 801.

3. Performance is throttled to manage the display more efficiently and overrides of this impact battery life more.

4. For heavy use, the average battery life compared to other S800 series devices is 90 to 120 minutes less screen on time. Key being Heavy use. Light to medium use should see no battery life impact.

5. The display: Gets very warm and is sensitive to ambient temperature as a result. Also the sharpness issue that has not been confirmed to be a setting issue. It could be an issue with how the gpu behaves with the display tech. Hopefully not and is a setting issue.

That is it, though item five is really two issues, so technically six reasons.

I played with the G3 at the AT&T store today and was pretty impressed with how snappy it performed as compared to my Sammy GS3.. Very nice looking, easy to hold and amazing screen.. I'm going to wait a bit longer though.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
The S600 is also 28nm, but had significantly less battery efficiency than the 800/801. The 805 is expected to have better battery life, but I agree that it still seems odd given the gpu has more bandwidth and a higher clock. Both to push Qhd as efficiently as the 801 pushes to 1080p.

Tick-Tock as they say. The new cores are design improvements, the next series will probably be a node shrink again. I agree on peculiarities, I really love the 400 in my 7.0 LTE but a lot of Sl600 devices had odd lag and heavy power usage. Things like lower sustained clocks, more heat....the 800 was more a true quad with better performance and endurance. The 801 enables an Ultra saver mode if you add the extra controls to Android. The 805 is a big design shift with a performance focus again, based on what they learned from the 800. I wonder if they switched to using some 3D gates, or made some crazy changes to the Adreno core architecture....regardless the 805 should *according to Qualcomm* be superior to the 800 with few or no trade offs. It reminds me how AMD Llano idled at a few watts at 800MHz but Trinity idled at least one watt less with nearly double the clock rate, 1400 or 1600 MHz I think. Architecture matters at least as much as mere process node.

I am glad there are skins as many of the features that have come to android have come from skins. I remember my Captivate having a pull down notification shade waaay before the Nexus. Also dialer improvements over the versions of android. The only issue is when they get over bloated and take 5 or 6 GB of space...and slow down performance.

Innovation is good, fragmentation is bad, welcome to Linux. Reliable areas badly stagnate, innovations compete and are unevenly supported. Eventually new conventions are adopted. And on the fringe you get optimized trunks like Gentoo and slim trunks like Tiny Core or its cousins DSL, Puppy, Slitaz etc.....Android is hugely bloated just like any other OS, and the skins and extra libs are massive...but it does mostly work. And we have a lot fewer major compatibility problems like oh.....EVO 3D...the fast phone that couldn't play most games *facepalm*.

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Its called viral advertising ya'll. They "leak" this and a few minutes later it's everywhere. Thousands of people with android devices who previously had no need for it go and sign up an account with netflix. They get the free month anyway so why wouldn't they? Then a few hours later Netflix cancels the app out. My guess is that Netflix is hoping that a few thousand of these people will keep the account. After all it really didn't cost them anything. From the standpoint of Netflix, they would personally be ALL OVER releasing an android/iphone app for their service. They on;y want to stream/ship thier movies they have no reason to care what device you watch it on... tv xbox pc phone it's all the same to them. It's the cell carriers that have been -blocking netflix.

As for the "Android Army" crashing their servers, that's a little far fetched. Netflix has the bandwidth to stream to a few MILLION people every day, a few thousand of the most geeky android users(those here in these forums like us) aren't gonna make a dent.

Yawn... You can come up with a list of reasons to avoid any phone.

Personally, I chuckle when I see an adult using an iPhone.. It's the perfect phone for 8th graders... Tiny screen, locked down, cartoonish GUI, elitist cliquish fan base, etc

But they (Apple) sure sell a bunch of them... And most are happy with them...

Last edited by a moderator:

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Yawn... You can come up with a list of reasons to avoid any phone.

Personally, I chuckle when I see an adult using an iPhone.. It's the perfect phone for 8th graders... Tiny screen, locked down, cartoonish GUI, elitist cliquish fan base, etc

But they (Apple) sure sell a bunch of them... And most are happy with them...

If they do in fact come out with a 4.7 and 5.5 inch iPhone and it has a synthetic sapphire screen it will sell to more than 8th graders. Shoot, I will probably pick one up also.

Sent from my seriously HD G3!

Last edited by a moderator:

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
If they do in fact come out with a 4.7 and 5.5 inch iPhone and it has a synthetic sapphire screen it will sell to more than 8th graders. Shoot, I will probably pick one up also.

I wouldn't go near an iPhone despite the sapphire screen, don't like the ecosystem and iOS is just a bore.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't go near an iPhone despite the sapphire screen, don't like the ecosystem and iOS is just a bore.

I use them all. iOS, android and WP. Phones, tablets and computers (Mac and Windows 8.1)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phone user