Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How do you turn off the double tap to wake function on the LG G3?

Seems like it's too easy to turn it on in my pocket or in my wifes purse. It's a very big screen and touching it twice is pretty easy, accidentally speaking. I've checked everywhere, but I'm new to LG's skin. Any help would be appreciated.

Default Re: How do you turn off the double tap to wake function on the LG G3?

Quote Originally Posted by pjeverly View Post
    Seems like it's too easy to turn it on in my pocket or in my wifes purse. It's a very big screen and touching it twice is pretty easy, accidentally speaking. I've checked everywhere, but I'm new to LG's skin. Any help would be appreciated.
    On my Flex the setting is under 'gestures'. It will NEVER wake up in her purse except by the power button getting hit, same as any other phone. Mainly it uses a few extra battery % per day checking the touch layer. In my experience the Flex does not wake up in pockets even when facing my chest, leg or career. The sensor is pretty smart, better than M8 proneness to gesture wake I think. But I have not spent a week with an M8 in my shirt pocket to test for myself....

The other places most likely to check are Display and Lock Screen. Also you should explore and see if the comprehensive LG Backup suite is in your settings options.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for the reply. I've checked under 'gestures' and Display and Lock Screen. I don't see anything that mentions 'tap to wake'. I'll keep looking around. I'm new to LG G3. Beautiful phone.

Thanks again.

Settings > Display > KnockON

Global Posts
    387 Global Posts

I think you need to set one of the lockscreen options over and above the double tap to make sure the phone doesn't go active.

Posted via Android Central App

Yes, and the battery has to be at 80% at least before you can set one.

Read this, they say here the LG removed this feature and its always on! http://www.mylgphones.com/lg-g3-sett...i-changes.html

Global Posts
    483 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pjeverly View Post
    Actually the opposite is true for me... I have pocket unlocked my Galaxy S4 numerous times... Since knock requires two taps in a certain time frame, and an unlock code (if enabled), I think that it would be near impossible to pocket unlock...
    Topgonzo likes this.

The only way to do this (since LG decided to remove the option from official menus) is to actually turn it off in the hidden system settings menu:
    Dial 3845#*855# to access it; you need to scroll down almost to the end to be able to see it. Click on the tab and switch off.
    Enjoy!

I can't find it in the hidden lg menu. What is it called?

Quote Originally Posted by xocomaox View Post
    I can't find it in the hidden lg menu. What is it called?
    I can't find it either :/

Supposedly the g3 has a proximity sensor that senses that it's in a pocket and keeps it from turning on. Can't remember where I read this.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraWA View Post
    Supposedly the g3 has a proximity sensor that senses that it's in a pocket and keeps it from turning on. Can't remember where I read this.

It does because I tried tapping it on from within my pocket and it stays off.

I've never had an issue with the phone turning on in my pocket but would like to know how to disable the feature for future reference.

If anyone knows the key in hidden menu to disable (there are a TON) let us know!

You need to scroll down, a lot, to find it.
    The features are not in alphabetical order.
    It should read something like knock-on
    Let me know how it goes

Quote Originally Posted by Firas Al Atiyat View Post
    You need to scroll down, a lot, to find it.
    The features are not in alphabetical order.
    It should read something like knock-on
    Let me know how it goes
    The only option in my list pertaining to this is "FEATURE_USE_DOUBLETAP_SCREEN_OFF) but that is not knock on.

I did, however, find a cool feature to make the docked icons a little smaller, which looks better on the home screen. VZW firmware might have a different list of options...

This is how to get to the hidden menu on these four carriers. I know the ATT one works, since that's what I use. I'm not sure about Verizon. Hope this helps!
    Intl. LG G2 D855: 3845#*855#
    AT&T LG G3 D850: 3845#*850#
    T-Mobile LG G3 D851: 3845#*851#
    Sprint LG G3 LS980: 5689#*980#

Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Paranoid Android

How do you know it's on when it's in your pocket?

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by marcus.plans View Post
    How do you know it's on when it's in your pocket?

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
    Well either the Android (NOT 3RD PARTY) battery monitor is showing an inflated screen on time coupled with the poor battery life.

Or there is unbridled paranoia at work here. Knockon has never turned my phone on by accident as far as I can tell, but it *is* possible to bump the power button and light up the lock screen for a few seconds. Knockon seems much less accident prone than M8 gesture.

I had the phone in my pocket and reached in and double tapped the screen. It did not turn on. If I put my hand over the top of my phone while it's out of my pocket, it will still not turn on with a double tap. This is the proximity sensor at work and it seems to do a pretty good job.

Even if you hold your hand over the top and press the power button, the phone will turn on for a second and immediately turn off. Try it out!

Mine is AWFUL! In my pants pocket comes on frequently (battery drain) and I'm constantly receiving a security check "Life is NOT good" Verizon, so no "hidden code menus". Why can't we disable knock-on? I don't want it! HELP!

I got the app called "Any Cut" from Google Play. From there you can make a shortcut to the KnockOn setting and turn it off.

Posted via the Android Central App

Mine wakes up frequently in my shirt pocket - definitely not the power button being touched. I've already used the setting in the 'hidden' menu to turn off the knock feature, which is useless to me. I can only think maybe it's when notifications come through and wake it up.

I personally hate this feature!

I've had it come on several times. Though not all that often it still has happened a number of times. The last time it came on my pocket must have tapped in several "Knock Codes" which unsurprisingly all failed to unlock it but the next time I went to use my phone it said I had used up all my attempts to unlock and needed to enter my "Backup PIN". Now I thought I knew my backup PIN but apparently, well, I don't. I was on the phone to LG support for over an hour trying to find a way to get round it and damn near had to Factory Reset the thing to gain access. Fortunately after a day and a half and with the assistance of a thread on this forum called "What Should Android Device Manager's Unlock Screen Look Like?" (sorry I can't post links yet) I was able to get access again.

I now very much want to disable this God forsaken feature and just use the power button (as inconvenient as it is on this device) like everyone else.

Global Posts
    346 Global Posts

I had the same problem. For anyone wondering... You can tell because you take it out of your pocket and it is on the final "enter your pin" screen because it is over the limit on trying to knock on.

One thing I have is a tempered glass screen protector... Wondering if you have this as well? Just speculating if this causes some condition that falsely senses a knock on attempt?

Anyways I resolved this issue with a circle case because I didn't want to lose the knock on feature. The circle case keeps the glass away from my leg in my front pocket.

Posted via the Android Central App

I don't think there's any way to do this from within the phone's normal settings. There IS a way to do it from the HiddenMenu program, but exactly how depends on your version of the phone (e.g., what carrier version). And for Sprint and Verizon, at least, it will require root.

Also, this will also eliminate the knock-off function. To keep that you'll need to use a launcher that supports gestures (like Nova Prime), and sett a double tap gesture to execute a screen-off app (there are dozens of them in the play store).

See this thread for more details: [Root] [KitKat] How to Disable Knock On | Sprint LG G3 | XDA Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast