LG G3 on ART

Wiitard12

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
So, coming from the S3 I thought this phone was amazingly smooth and I had no problems with it at all.

Then I decided, lemme check out ART...and lemme see what all the fuss is about. And WOW...I definitely feel the change...apps open practically instantaneously...and the multitask window(which had a bit of a pause on dalvik) now opens quickly and operates smoother. Switching between apps is definitely faster.

Sent from my LGLS990 using AC Forums mobile app

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Catch being on average you lose 25% of storage space. I do not notice lag on my S4 as example, but will definitely notice the storage loss.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Didn't realize the storage loss to enabling ART. I didn't recall noticing when I enabled it on my Nexus N4 and not huge in using up space so I don't think it will bother me on the G3. But wouldn't having the sd card slot make it a wash? I plan to buy a 32gb sd card just for the heck of it.

Catch being on average you lose 25% of storage space. I do not notice lag on my S4 as example, but will definitely notice the storage loss.

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
It's the newer runtime that will be used in Android L. I'd need someone a bit more in tune with the technical side to explain the benefits. From what I understand it is supposed to improve the overall speed of the phone as well as improve battery life.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
No you will not lose any data. ART is a new complier for apps that uses AOT (ahead of time) compiling of data for an app instead of JIT (just in time) compiling that Dalvik uses.

It is a bit faster but uses a bit more storage since it needs more info that JIT. It also save a bit on battery life.

1. No data loss when converting but the more apps the longer it will take
2. Increase in performance of apps
3. Increase in storage requirements for apps, the more apps the more storage used
4. Slight increase in battery life

spawn9859

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Does it take root to convert to ART? Is there a guide?

No, go to settings, about, tap on build number a bunch of times until it says Developer options unlocked. Then go to developer options and where it says select runtime, choose ART. It will take about 15 minutes to restart and reload all your apps, but totally worth it.

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Does it take root to convert to ART? Is there a guide?

All you need to do is enable Developer Options by going to About Phone and tapping on build number several times. After doing this there is an option to switch to ART runtime within Developer Options. No root is required.

Wiitard12

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Btw, when I switched over to ART, my Window and Transition animation scale were both turned off...is that normal?

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Btw, when I switched over to ART, my Window and Transition animation scale were both turned off...is that normal?

Lol, there's the reason everyone is saying its faster. Gotta love placebo.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk