Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default LG G3 on ART

So, coming from the S3 I thought this phone was amazingly smooth and I had no problems with it at all.

Then I decided, lemme check out ART...and lemme see what all the fuss is about. And WOW...I definitely feel the change...apps open practically instantaneously...and the multitask window(which had a bit of a pause on dalvik) now opens quickly and operates smoother. Switching between apps is definitely faster.

Sent from my LGLS990 using AC Forums mobile app

ART is awesome. It has a notable difference in speed. But, are you seeing a difference in battery life?

Default Re: LG G3 on ART

Catch being on average you lose 25% of storage space. I do not notice lag on my S4 as example, but will definitely notice the storage loss.

Didn't realize the storage loss to enabling ART. I didn't recall noticing when I enabled it on my Nexus N4 and not huge in using up space so I don't think it will bother me on the G3. But wouldn't having the sd card slot make it a wash? I plan to buy a 32gb sd card just for the heck of it.

Quote Originally Posted by rushmore View Post
    Catch being on average you lose 25% of storage space. I do not notice lag on my S4 as example, but will definitely notice the storage loss.

Will switching to ART delete all the info from my device? I've heard instances of this happening.
    Current Devices: OnePlus One, Note 4, Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4

Retired Devices: HTC One M8, Sony Xperia Z2, LG G3, Moto X, Note 3, HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Droid Bionic, HTC Droid Incredible, HTC Droid Eris

Android Addict

what is art

It's the newer runtime that will be used in Android L. I'd need someone a bit more in tune with the technical side to explain the benefits. From what I understand it is supposed to improve the overall speed of the phone as well as improve battery life.

Retired Devices: HTC One M8, Sony Xperia Z2, LG G3, Moto X, Note 3, HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Droid Bionic, HTC Droid Incredible, HTC Droid Eris

Android Addict
    Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by neonworm View Post
    ART is awesome. It has a notable difference in speed. But, are you seeing a difference in battery life?
    I haven't been using long enough to let you know ,unfortunately.

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by mhettrich View Post
    Will switching to ART delete all the info from my device? I've heard instances of this happening.
    No it won't, everything stays the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiitard12 View Post
    No it won't, everything stays the same.

Alright then, switching over now haha.

Android Addict

No you will not lose any data. ART is a new complier for apps that uses AOT (ahead of time) compiling of data for an app instead of JIT (just in time) compiling that Dalvik uses.

It is a bit faster but uses a bit more storage since it needs more info that JIT. It also save a bit on battery life.

1. No data loss when converting but the more apps the longer it will take
    2. Increase in performance of apps
    3. Increase in storage requirements for apps, the more apps the more storage used
    4. Slight increase in battery life
    Nexus 6 (64GB), Moto X 32GB Pure, iPhone 6 Plus Unlocked, OnePlus One (64GB),Xperia Z2, LG G3, Lumia 925 8.1 Cyan, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8, iPad Air 2
    Thanked by 3:
    Zain Daboul likes this.

Does it take root to convert to ART? Is there a guide?
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyTop View Post
    No, go to settings, about, tap on build number a bunch of times until it says Developer options unlocked. Then go to developer options and where it says select runtime, choose ART. It will take about 15 minutes to restart and reload all your apps, but totally worth it.
    Thanked by:
    alfstoria1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyTop View Post
    All you need to do is enable Developer Options by going to About Phone and tapping on build number several times. After doing this there is an option to switch to ART runtime within Developer Options. No root is required.

Android Addict

Thank you. I will be getting mine on Thursday. I will switch to ART before loading on apps.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

They say some apps don't work with ART...but I haven't run into any problems yet.

17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Btw, when I switched over to ART, my Window and Transition animation scale were both turned off...is that normal?

Android Connoisseur

Global Posts
    910 Global Posts

Btw, when I switched over to ART, my Window and Transition animation scale were both turned off...is that normal?

Lol, there's the reason everyone is saying its faster. Gotta love placebo.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

That wouldn't be a placebo.

Posted via Android Central App
    Android Connoisseur

Global Posts
    910 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billbrobaggins View Post
    That wouldn't be a placebo.

I can turn off animations on dalvik to seem faster too.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Interesting...I never noticed that because I always turned them off first thing even before switching to ART
    Nexus 6 (64GB), Moto X 32GB Pure, iPhone 6 Plus Unlocked, OnePlus One (64GB),Xperia Z2, LG G3, Lumia 925 8.1 Cyan, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8, iPad Air 2

so is art the way to go then i have it n bye be lag my g3 is running as smooth as it should of been since day 1 as advertised awesome now

Android L release will run exclusively on ART

Android L release will run exclusively on ART | Android Central

Quote Originally Posted by eddyknights View Post
    so is art the way to go then i have it n bye be lag my g3 is running as smooth as it should of been since day 1 as advertised awesome now

ART does seem to speed up the G3 a lot. .5x animations and scaling and stuff helps to though.

Thanked by:

Agreed; changing over to ART definitely improved performance. I'm still tweaking the phone (only had it since Friday) so hopefully more good news to come. I'm also thinking there will be software updates/improvements down the line with Android L on the horizon.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast