LG G3 Overheating warning?

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
re: Does the LG G3 Overheat?

That's is a protection switch and he doesn't make claim that in his use the phone got hot.

Posted via Android Central App

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site

That's is a protection switch and he doesn't make claim that in his use the phone got hot.

Yes he did. He said he screen-shot the warnings when they came up, and said it happened while he was navigating in Google Maps. Watch it again.
Edit: Oh, I think I see what you mean. He said "It tends to heat up a little bit", but he didn't say it got hot. He just mentioned that he received the warnings and the safety measures kicked in.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Yes he did. He said he screen-shot the warnings when they came up, and said it happened while he was navigating in Google Maps. Watch it again.
Edit: Oh, I think I see what you mean. He said "It tends to heat up a little bit", but he didn't say it got hot. He just mentioned that he received the warnings and the safety measures kicked in.

Yeah that's what I meant and couldn't remember the whole script of the review lol

But your right he did make reference to it threatening to shut down, if he didn't let it cool down.

Hmmm I have been testing watching videos and heavy browsing, had the G3 for a week without any warnings tbh.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site

Yeah that's what I meant and couldn't remember the whole script of the review lol

But your right he did make reference to it threatening to shut down, if he didn't let it cool down.

Hmmm I have been testing watching videos and heavy browsing, had the G3 for a week without any warnings tbh.

Appreciate the input. At this point I'm trying to gauge the frequency of encountering this warning. It seems that some of you have never come across it - in your case in a week of use.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
OK so I just shot a video in UHD it allocates 5mins per recording so I let it run the duration.

My report....No warnings or threats of closure, I was checking around the battery and that was cool to touch, around the optics after around 2 and a half mins it was warm to touch but that is where it stayed, around the front near the earpiece was warm also. It never got to the point of Hot.

This was my findings.

Edit....In regards to battery in UHD I went from 30% to 25% for the five mins.

Last edited:

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

I turned the heat throttling off. I am not a gamer or a big long video shooter but I want the screen to stay at the brightness I set.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

My phone just locked up when unplugging it from USB so I had to remove the battery to restart it. When I finally got to using it after 5 minutes of the device being on (screen was only on for 1 min) I got the "warning your battery is too hot" from gsam battery monitor.... This is ridiculous I hate it that my phones heat up though in the exact same conditions my tablets don't. :

Sent from my T-Mobile Carrier locked LG G3 without root or anything like that. :)
btw, I'm a girl.

Was it the OEM charger? I am not using the OEM charger so just wondering.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

So that will be 100% then lol as anything below that and all is fine.

No, I usually set my devices to 50% I have set my G3 to 60% after two days and I like it there. I do not anticipate screen throttling but that setting bugs me for some reason...not sure why but several ting that ATT did to the G3 bug me. I realize that LG put this safeguard into place but it probably causes more frustration than safety issues averted.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

No, I usually set my devices to 50% I have set my G3 to 60% after two days and I like it there. I do not anticipate screen throttling but that setting bugs me for some reason...not sure why but several ting that ATT did to the G3 bug me. I realize that LG put this safeguard into place but it probably causes more frustration than safety issues averted.

You will be just fine at 60% and there was probably no need to turn off throttling, but it won't do any harm either :)

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site

Ironically, MKBHD is one of the first reviews I saw, and they encountered the overheating warning and were not able to adjust the brightness. It also happened again when he was navigating in Google Maps. Here is the link - the issue starts right at about minute 9.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QH1qFd24bY

It's one of the videos that caused me to come here and chat with people who have the phone and get real world experience. Someone in this thread asked me for links, and I finally got a chance to go back and look through some of the video reviews I watched. There is at least one more that mentioned encountering the same issue, but I think everyone here already gets the idea.

That heat issue alone has me too scared to buy it. I watched the video and there's no way I want those types of issues.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
That heat issue alone has me too scared to buy it. I watched the video and there's no way I want those types of issues.

Had the G3 for a week and no issues, even provided a UHD video test and no issues to report.

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site

I've been on my phone constantly. Youtube, Netflix, Play Music, games, taking pictures and video. Not once has the phone overheated or displayed any message stating that it was overheating.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

My phone has the opposite issue...

It never gets hot or even very warm no matter how much i throw at it

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

I liked the video. He basically loved the phone and said one of the best if not the best phone of the year which I agree. And he said that with the notation of the heat warnings so I don't think he felt a major issue.

With that being said I havent had a heat issue on the phone. i don't think i will have an issue from how I use it daily for. But I know from previous phones whether iphone or android two major heat creators... recording videos and using google maps or any gps navigation heats up any phone and I haven't tested either yet but I guess will.

Maybe on way home from work tomorrow I'll set google maps to give me directions home which is a 30 minute drive and see how hot it gets. anyone else that tries or takes a 30 minute video in 720p would be interested in hearing how hot it gets.

Ironically, MKBHD is one of the first reviews I saw, and they encountered the overheating warning and were not able to adjust the brightness. It also happened again when he was navigating in Google Maps. Here is the link - the issue starts right at about minute 9.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QH1qFd24bY

It's one of the videos that caused me to come here and chat with people who have the phone and get real world experience. Someone in this thread asked me for links, and I finally got a chance to go back and look through some of the video reviews I watched. There is at least one more that mentioned encountering the same issue, but I think everyone here already gets the idea.

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site

I liked the video. He basically loved the phone and said one of the best if not the best phone of the year which I agree. And he said that with the notation of the heat warnings so I don't think he felt a major issue.

With that being said I havent had a heat issue on the phone. i don't think i will have an issue from how I use it daily for. But I know from previous phones whether iphone or android two major heat creators... recording videos and using google maps or any gps navigation heats up any phone and I haven't tested either yet but I guess will.

Maybe on way home from work tomorrow I'll set google maps to give me directions home which is a 30 minute drive and see how hot it gets. anyone else that tries or takes a 30 minute video in 720p would be interested in hearing how hot it gets.

Haven't tried GPS yet. I'll do the same for my commute to and from work tomorrow and see how it holds up.

parapluie

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site

I would really appreciate a gps test. I use my phone for gps often and would be curious to see how the G3 performs and handles it.

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site

I've been on my phone constantly. Youtube, Netflix, Play Music, games, taking pictures and video. Not once has the phone overheated or displayed any message stating that it was overheating.

Since he had a European model maybe the carrier branded models don't have this issue then?

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site

My phone has the opposite issue...

It never gets hot or even very warm no matter how much i throw at it

I totally believe you guys. Just very weird his had those issues.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon