G3 with the Snap 805 is official

ragdoll08

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Place this in the "Are you kidding me?" category.

Call it Prime, call it Premium, call it whatever you like, but don't call it a rumor. According to several reports today, a new version of the LG G3 is not only official, but available for pre-order in South Korea. What's new? The Snapdragon 805, pretty much.

This begs several questions. Mainly, Why even release the 801 version? Did they just want to get out of the gate early enough to take sales away from Samsung? With some people/reviews reporting some early performance issues, is LG not entirely confident of the 801 and it's QHD display's long term durability? Of course, plenty of other reviews have reported no such problems, but it still makes you wonder why they're starting to push out an 805 so soon. Is it just for the Korean market i.e. the Samsung S5 805? It it just for the LTE bands in Korea?

And then of course, it is coming to the U.S.? I have a hard time seeing carriers releasing a new LG G3 under at least 6 months after the initial release. As it is, I'd be pretty upset if I bought a G3 in S. Korea on on release only for LG to send out a better version of it only 1 and a half to 2 months afterwards. So what do you think? Does this change anything for you?

http://www.androidauthority.com/lg-g3-prime-403578/

Last edited:

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Was he using a G3 with the 801 or the 805?

Pink iPhone 5c. Thanks for the link. As always with rumors I'll believe it when I see it.
I'm sure eventually a phone with a better processor will be released but I doubt either Samsung or LG would do it any time soon.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Korea only. Not coming to the States.

Mav. :cool:

Sent from the future on my Sprint LG G3.
The 805 is in the Note 4 and coming in September, plus a spokesman for LG while in Greece recently noted that the 805 version was possible for other markets, but Korea was priority now.

With Samsung releasing two devices with the 805 and the iPhone powered by the beastly A8, why would LG not counter with a Fall update?

That said, though the 805 will get performance on par with 1080p devices, the main issue is the current power efficiency of Qhd panels. That seems more a priority rather than more power efficient/powerful SoCs.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I was referring to the phone noted in the thread title.
The N4 will have the 805 and that is just fine.

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
My mother's uncles sisters daughter works for a guy who lives next to an AT&T store say G3 prime with 805 chip here before labor day. Just a FYI

Posted via Android Central App

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I do like my specs, however they are not everything, would I be miffed if this was a global release and say within the next two months, yeah probably.

It won't be though, and the G3 with the 801 is performing nicely.

I'm guessing the chip is not ready for mass production just yet?

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I was referring to the phone noted in the thread title.
The N4 will have the 805 and that is just fine.

Actually, since the 805 doesn't have a built-in modem, it probably won't be as "fine" as people are thinking. Battery life will take a hit.

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
This is unfortunately the nature of technology now. You have the best thing for 5 minutes and then something else is announced. This is why I protect my phones so I can sell them for the most amount of money.

Sent from my LG G3 using Tapatalk

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
This feels like the "par for the course" category. I can see how it'd be frustrating, but those of us who aren't buying 11 or more devices per year really need to focus on buying a device you're happy with as itself, rather than how it compares to other devices. A newer device doesn't make the one you bought any better or worse in its own right - it just makes it better or worse relative to some other device, which is a pretty arbitrary measure of how one's own device performs for themself.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
My mother's uncles sisters daughter works for a guy who lives next to an AT&T store say G3 prime with 805 chip here before labor day. Just a FYI

So is it your sister or your cousin, because I'd believe you more if you said it was your sister

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

americasteam

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
The 805 is in the Note 4 and coming in September, plus a spokesman for LG while in Greece recently noted that the 805 version was possible for other markets, but Korea was priority now.

With Samsung releasing two devices with the 805 and the iPhone powered by the beastly A8, why would LG not counter with a Fall update?

That said, though the 805 will get performance on par with 1080p devices, the main issue is the current power efficiency of Qhd panels. That seems more a priority rather than more power efficient/powerful SoCs.
I honestly believe this SOC has no issues pushing the 1440p panel for the UI. May suffer in gaming, but not standard UI. I firmly believe the whole issue is LGs optimization of the stock rom. The only stock android phones that have been smooth for me are HTC 's M7 and M8. LG and Samsung try to be too cute instead of focusing on a smooth user interface. It's a shame really.

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I honestly believe this SOC has no issues pushing the 1440p panel for the UI. May suffer in gaming, but not standard UI. I firmly believe the whole issue is LGs optimization of the stock rom. The only stock android phones that have been smooth for me are HTC 's M7 and M8. LG and Samsung try to be too cute instead of focusing on a smooth user interface. It's a shame really.
I agree with the Samsung part but the G3 is at least as snappy as the M7 and M8 in my time with it if not snappier. This thing flies through everything without a stutter with the only exception being the app drawer slowing slightly when you launch it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37