Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree88Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Finally saw G3, not impressed

Mainly comparing it to the LG Optimus G Pro.

The screen is identical to it except that the back and the home buttons are on the screen, making the screen effectively smaller than G Pro's.

The resolution seemed marginally sharper but things were tiny. IMO, the ideal resolution for a 5.5" screen is 1080p (HD). The higher resolution of G3 begs for a larger screen, something in the 6" - 6.3" range would be perfect. I am not going to upgrade from a 5.5" screen to another 5.5" screen. I will wait until the same panel comes out in a large phablet.

The salesperson said the battery from G Pro will not fit in G3. Since there are no aftermarket extended sized battery available for G3 at this time, this is just another deal-breaker as the default 3,000 mAh cell will not last long at all, and I am used to my 9300 mah cell.
    Thanked by 2:
    BBSeattle likes this.

Global Posts
    374 Global Posts

Default Re: Finally saw G3, not impressed

LOL, then don't buy it.
    Thanked by 7:
    Tikerz, Jdane07, Gator352 and 9 others like this.

Always the iPhone, sorry for swearing lol

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by datum9 View Post

The screen is identical to it except that the back and the home buttons are on the screen, making the screen effectively smaller than G Pro's.

The resolution seemed marginally sharper but things were tiny. IMO, the ideal resolution for a 5.5" screen is 1080p (HD). The higher resolution of G3 begs for a larger screen, something in the 6" - 6.3" range would be perfect. I am not going to upgrade from a 5.5" screen to another 5.5" screen. I will wait until the same panel comes out in a large phablet.

The salesperson said the battery from G Pro will not fit in G3. Since there are no aftermarket extended sized battery available for G3 at this time, this is just another deal-breaker as the default 3,000 mAh cell will not last long at all, and I am used to my 9300 mah cell.
    In my opinion, every one of your opinions is wrong.
    Thanked by 2:

Funny as hell....Comes to the forum for the G3 and says im not impressed....Well guess what? I am impressed so i bought it...lol just move on then it appears you dont like it..
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

9300 mah cell? Good grief, that's a heck of a battery. Can't imagine ever needing one that big.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    ROM
    Honeycomb 3.0 - ICS 4.0

Quote Originally Posted by Cmatt1971 View Post
    9300 mah cell? Good grief, that's a heck of a battery. Can't imagine ever needing one that big.
    We'll call him a "super user." :-)
    Thanked by:

If you don't like it don't get it. That's the great thing about Android, you have a choice.

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    374 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FluxTZ View Post
    We'll call him a "super user." :-)
    Not only that, he must have said battery on the exact day the phone launches. Any time after that and he doesn't want the phone.

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts

That is an excellent in depth review. I am very impressed with the time and effort you put into this. Thanks for sharing.
    Murph5150 and oldrtyfrog like this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

Can't say I've ever been impressed with the original or the rebranding of Goldstar electronics. Those of you old enough to remember, Goldstar was the Hyundai Pony of electronics back in the day. You'd buy their stuff at places like Zellers. They changed the name to LG but not much else.
    Thanked by:
    nj1266 

To be fair, it kinda is a bummer if the extra battery isn't available for sale...

The G3 looks promising to me but I would really want to pick up an extra battery on purchase of the phone
    Galaxy S, Galaxy S2, Galaxy Tab 10.1, Galaxy S3, Nexus 7, Galaxy Note2, Nexus 4, HTC One (M7), Galaxy S4, LG G2, LG Nexus 5, HTC One (M8)

Quote Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
    To be fair, it kinda is a bummer if the extra battery isn't available for sale...

The G3 looks promising to me but I would really want to pick up an extra battery on purchase of the phone
    It happens with most phones. The extra batteries aren't available right after release.. Can take a little.

Also did everyone forget it wasn't supposed to be released till the 17th but just got released early? .

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Galaxy S6 (32 GB) using AC Forums.

150.2 x 76.1 x 9.4 mm optimus g pro
    146.3 x 74.6 x 8.9 mm g3

Same size screen, but in a better package all around.
    Thanked by:

I agree with you. Coming from a current Optimus G Pro owner (well, just sold it on Swappa) I too was not impressed enough to justify the upgrade. The G3 is a great phone but the "advantages" aren't enough for ME to get one. The OGP is good enough if you aren't needing the latest and greatest speed-daemon device.

Why would you think the G Pro battery would fit in the G3? That makes no sense. Obviously it wouldn't fit. Can't believe you needed a salesperson to tell you that.

FYI - the battery from my car won't fit in a G3 either. Just telling you so you don't have to go find a salesperson.....
    Thanked by 2:

ROM
    Euroskank CM10

Oh yeah Ordered on the 10th, will be at my door on the 17th. Done with Samsung.

Posted via S4 TechNology
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Finally saw G3, not impressed-screenshot_2014-07-15-17-25-55.jpg  
    Pure mathematics is the only truth in our world.
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by Murph5150 View Post
    Oh yeah Ordered on the 10th, will be at my door on the 17th. Done with Samsung.

Posted via S4 TechNology
    You won't regret your purchase :-)

Quote Originally Posted by spock123 View Post

Amazon.com: [2 Battery + Charger] Caseology LG G3 2 X 3000 mAh [Long-Lasting] Spare Replacement Li-ion Battery Combo with Portable USB Port Travel Wall Charger (Non-NFC) + [18-Month Warranty]: Cell Phones & Accessories

There are aftermarket "spare" batteries for sale. No, they aren't "extended" but spare nonetheless.
    Note 4/ Note 3 / Note 2 / hTc One E8 / Moto X / hTc ONE / LG G3 / iTerd 5s / iTerd 6

Global Posts
    833 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackguard View Post
    Can't say I've ever been impressed with the original or the rebranding of Goldstar electronics. Those of you old enough to remember, Goldstar was the Hyundai Pony of electronics back in the day. You'd buy their stuff at places like Zellers. They changed the name to LG but not much else.
    So was Samsung...

ray sital likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aitt View Post
    So was Samsung...

True! But Sammy managed to build a better brand. They didn't have to rename to shake off a bad image either. FWIT the only Samsung products I've ever had a good experience with are computer monitors. I don't buy their phones either.

The optimus g pro is a great phone that isn't too old. Hard to justify any minor upgrade like that.

But why stop at 9300 mah? Surely there's a portable generator that he can wheel around and tether to his phone.
    Thanked by 4:

Quote Originally Posted by brewzer View Post
    LOL, then don't buy it.
    I know, really. Like it's important to let the world know he doesn't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    It happens with most phones. The extra batteries aren't available right after release..
    For now, you can get one of those portable lipstick sized chargers. I got one for $11 and it charges freakin fast!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast