Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default LG G3 Help me out...first smartphone...data vs. WiFi

Just picked up the G3. It's the first smartphone I've had for any period of time.

When I am NOT on airplane mode (data is on)...AND WiFi is on...is there any setting that forces data, app downloads,photo downloads, email , etc ...to go over WiFi instead of burning data? Would Android run data over Wi-Fi by default if both are on and available?

Thanks in advance.
    Bd

Sent from my LG-D850 using AC Forums mobile app

ROM
    Nexus 6 - CM12.1 w/5.1.1

Default Re: Help me out...first smartphone...data vs. WiFi

Yes. If Wi-Fi is on , it will take precedence as the main data, etc connection.

Mav.

Sent from the future on my Sprint LG G3.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like,
    and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by VW Maverick View Post
    Yes. If Wi-Fi is on , it will take precedence as the main data, etc connection.

Mav.

^^^this...no worries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks Mav. One more...my old Android (non-phone)device had a task manager so you could see what was running and kill apps if necessary. Anything like this onboard the G3?

If you really want to be protective of your data usage you can disable background data so no emails or updates happen until you open an app. Oh yea, crazy first smartphone. Mine go as follows 1st to current; Palm Pixi, Samsung Transform, Samsung GS1 Epic, Evo 4g Lte, GS2, Lg G2 (throw in about 5 lg optimus's) and now G3.

Posted via Android Central App

ROM
    Nexus 6 - CM12.1 w/5.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by blackdogAC View Post
    Thanks Mav. One more...my old Android (non-phone)device had a task manager so you could see what was running and kill apps if necessary. Anything like this onboard the G3?
    http://www.androidcentral.com/how-re...smart-cleaning

Mav.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like,
    and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Default Re: LG G3 Help me out...first smartphone...data vs. WiFi

Nah...that's not what I'm talking about. I'm not looking to clear temp files out or to check for apps that have been open for a month.

If I have music, camera,and kindle running, how do I know they are actually closed when I hit the back arrow?

It's been my experience that most Android implementations are pretty good about at least giving you a warning if a large data transer, like app updates, want to happen over the cell connection. There should be phone and app settings that say "only do this over wifi" or similar.

Having said that though unless you have a really restrictive data plan you shouldn't have a problem with normal usage.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

OK, thanks. Nothing on a task manager??

OK, thanks. Nothing on a task manager??

If I'm not mistaken isn't the bottom left the recent apps window? From there you can close recent apps.

As for task managers or task killers they aren't needed. They actually make battery life worse since Android tries to cache stuff to memory so it loads faster.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my LG G4 using AC Forums.

Community Rules & Guidelines
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Ah...this is the first time I have interfaced with Recent Apps button in Android. Thought that was just providing a shortcut to those apps. Does this mean that the apps are actually open and in RAM?

If youre worried about apps hanging or "wakelocking" you can get apps like greenify or wakelock detector. Greenify will let you force hibernate apps that typically hang. Otherwise the recent apps is just that and you can swipe away from there.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

So clearing all recent apps exits everything and stops battery and data usage?
    Otherwise, when they are shown on the Recent Apps, they're running in the background?

Sorry it I seem obtuse here, just wanting to make very sure what's going on.

So clearing all recent apps exits everything and stops battery and data usage?
    Otherwise, when they are shown on the Recent Apps, they're running in the background?

Sorry it I seem obtuse here, just wanting to make very sure what's going on.
    I don't believe anything in the recent apps constitutes to it running in the background. I know that if you open any app, in order to exit it, you back out using the back button. If you choose the home button while in the app, the app will stay open in the background. Thats at least how things have worked for me with my Samsung devices. Not sure if LG is the same.

When going to bed do the Close All in recent apps to prevent some possible battery drain. To save more battery go in Airplane mode but then you wouldn't be able to take calls.