An Apple Fan's Review of the G3

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Let me start of first by saying I am an Apple guy, MacBook, iPad and usually and iPhone but every year or so I dip into Android, usually not for too long but it happens like clockwork. I have used the G3 for a week now and this is my initial review.

Hardware: The G3 is a beautiful device. The ultra thin bezels and huge screen go hand in hand and I actually like the placement of the buttons although I cannot say I used them much because of Knock code. The screen itself is beautiful, but when put next to a phone like the Galaxy S5 it doesn't quite measure up color wise. I like my headphone jack on the bottom because it is what I am used to so that was a plus for me and not having a door between me and the charging port was nice after my brief time with the S5. Having the ability to remove the battery was a nice touch and I enjoyed the plastic back on the phone.

Battery: Battery life was a mixed bag on the G3 for me. Two days during the weekend saw a 5 hour screen on time with almost 32 hours on the battery, but the rest of the days have been about 12 hours on the battery before needing a charge with only 3-4 hours screen on time and some light music streaming. Overall about the same as my iPhone 5s when comparing.

UI/Android: I will be one of the first to say Android as a whole is fantastic, but not without its quirks. Emoji support is a nice touch although I feel it is very poorly integrated compared to iOS. Getting to the emoji usually required an extra step compared to iOS or it was so choppy it was tough to use. The icons on the S5 were also way better than both iOS and LG. The overall UI is flat and coming from iOS it was familiar so I enjoyed it. The popup text messaging was really nice with the quick reply and I cannot wait to see what Apple's looks like in iOS8 once it finishes beta testing. Overall the UI was smooth in most places, but the app drawer always seemed to studder.

Sound quality: Playing music through the back speaker isn't terrible although I wish everyone, including Apple, would put the speakers on the front, HTC style. The music quality through the headphones was decent, though I must say I prefer Apple for all things music because of familiarity and to me the sound quality on Apple devices, at least through headphones, is better. This may be me just being biased though.

Apps: I will always say iOS apps run way more smoothly than Android apps. The Facebook and Twitter apps on Android are terrible compared to iOS as well as favorite apps of mine Sportscenter and MLB At Bat. They lag, crash often and in some cases look less polished. The Chase Bank app has not been updated in a few years on Android UI wise which leads me to believe that they, like other developers, pay less attention to Android development. Games on Android all seem about the same though and play a little better on higher end hardware. Android is catching up the iOS in app quality, they just aren't there yet to me.

Overall: I love the G3, but it has its quirks. Some of these quirks are related to the phone and its UI and some are related to Android as a whole. I will not be keeping my G3 and will instead return to Apple firm grip it has on me, but that doesn't mean my time with the dark side wasn't fun. Hopefully you guys see this review as partially biased, but fair and can appreciate the view from the other side of the fence from someone with experience with both platforms.

So what do you guys think? Feel free to sound off!

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I think this is fair. I agree with the Chase app. I left android for two years to WP came back and that case has not been updated. My experience with battery has been stellar on my G3 though. The lag on here I think can be polished with an update because there's 0 lag on the M8. I agree with the speakers too. M8 speakers are unmatched. Good balanced review. Thanks

Posted via Android Central App

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Thank you so much for this review. I am someone who is not biased and I get annoyed when people on this site bash ios. I have always chosen Android but may give apple a chance when the 6 is released. I find that it's not so much the device that really gets people hooked into apple, it's the "ecosystem". From what I have seen ios is boring to some. I think that the OS being smooth and efficient is more important than being exciting and feature filled. It annoys me that every flagship Android phone has to have a screen bigger than the last. I have always avoided apple because of the tiny screen but now that Android has gone a little too far I am looking forward to the smaller (4.7 inch) screen on the new iPhone.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
I haven't experienced any lag on this device and my battery life is better than the S5 I used previously. I've never understood the speakers on the front of the device taking away from screen size. Screen is more important to me than speakers. They are meant to be used with earphones not as a home stereo. No matter what comes out and how cutting edge it is or what improvements are made, some ppl will find something to complain about instead of just enjoying what is available to them.

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I haven't experienced any lag on this device and my battery life is better than the S5 I used previously. I've never understood the speakers on the front of the device taking away from screen size. Screen is more important to me than speakers. They are meant to be used with earphones not as a home stereo. No matter what comes out and how cutting edge it is or what improvements are made, some ppl will find something to complain about instead of just enjoying what is available to them.
This is not meant to be a complaint. A complaint would be me saying I didn't like this for whatever reason. This is more of a comparison to iOS than a complaint. You are in the minority I would say on the speaker issue. If I want to watch a quick video in my room before bed I don't want to have to grab headphones to listen to it. The speakers to some are a very big issue but to others, like yourself, they are not.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
A fair assessment with a touch of bias but that's a given lol

IOS has its issues as does android its just a matter of what they are and how they effect you.

For me iOS is dull, its simplicity bores me but that is just me. As for performance in iOS it is probably a touch smoother overall so I agree there.

Sound on the G3 is acceptable and the rear speaker although not boomsound or front facing like the Z2 & M8, its balanced and not tiny like some.

For the headphone output I'm using RHA750's and the sound quality is quite simply amazing, great lows, MIDs and highs, with exceptional separation.

The battery does vary but overall its a great performer and holds up well with my usage, can't ask for more and its replaceable so longevity of the G3 will be better. Or atleast you won't have to send your G3 to Lg for a replacement battery.

Your review was articulate and reasonably balanced, and not your typical Apple fanboy comments.

Enjoyed the read and well done :)

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

I must agree on this point. A 5.5 inch screen without bezels does not mesh with on front speakers. How many people hammer the m8 for the black strip? There is stuff under the strip...

Sent from my seriously HD G3!

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I must agree on this point. A 5.5 inch screen without bezels does not mesh with on front speakers. How many people hammer the m8 for the black strip? There is stuff under the strip...

Thank you. These are the same people that whine about the black strip on the Motorola 360.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Overall fair points. I use the chase bank app routinely and it gets updated regularly. The ui may not change but it gets updated and it works well for me as does BOA.

I am looking forward to iPhone 6. The reason I went to android many years ago was because of the 3.5 inch (at that time) screen. No can do.

I have an iPhone 5 for work and lots of Apple gear. Saving my pennies in case I need to pick up the iPhone 6 off contract! Or I might actually use my upgrade for that if it is upgrade worthy.

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site

I have always felt that edge to edge glass is a great way to break your screen when dropped. Having a buffer top and bottom is a great idea be it a speaker or just a plastic strip.

Sapient

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Apps: I will always say iOS apps run way more smoothly than Android apps. The Facebook and Twitter apps on Android are terrible compared to iOS as well as favorite apps of mine Sportscenter and MLB At Bat. They lag, crash often and in some cases look less polished. The Chase Bank app has not been updated in a few years on Android UI wise which leads me to believe that they, like other developers, pay less attention to Android development. Games on Android all seem about the same though and play a little better on higher end hardware. Android is catching up the iOS in app quality, they just aren't there yet to me.

I can't speak to your specific experiences with specific apps, but there was a study recently on the frequency of crashing apps in iOS and Android. Apps on the current version of iOS crash twice as often as those on newer versions of Android. Report: Android apps are more stable than Apple’s iOS apps - Fortune

Anyway, thanks for your impressions. Interesting.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Good review JT!

Question for ya... Have you tried speakerphone? Is it okay? My girlfriend has the S4 at the moment but I think she'd love this phone.... It's just speakerphone is a huge thing for her. What are your thoughts?

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I can't speak to your specific experiences with specific apps, but there was a study recently on the frequency of crashing apps in iOS and Android. Apps on the current version of iOS crash twice as often as those on newer versions of Android. Report: Android apps are more stable than Apple’s iOS apps - Fortune

Anyway, thanks for your impressions. Interesting.
I actually did see that but I don't have problems with crashing apps in General on both OSes but rather with how they perform. I typically had safari crash a lot on the iPhone which was obnoxious but specifically the Facebook app on android is far behind the iOS app in terms of smoothness and functionality. For instance, if someone sends you a link to a video on Facebook and you click to open it on iOS it opens a video player in the app. On android is opens the browser, makes me log in to FB, takes me either to the video or doesn't work at all and then finally, if I get to watch, it plays the video.

jsandgren10

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Not a bad review. I will have to say the reason I can never got to IOS is using my wifes ipad I can't stand having to press the home button, then settings then go find the app to change a setting. That and being so locked down and limited when trying to share a document or file. Can't send one using gmail, etc. unless you are using the Mail App, and even then it you can pretty much only share files within Apple based apps.

But I do like it for my wife because its easy for her to use and is great for browsing the net or sending a regular email, or browsing FB.

oldschoolsig

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
I went from years of ios to the g2 one year ago, and just couldn't ever go back due to being confined. I don't jb or root,but find that the open aspect of android is perfect for me to constantly tinker and improve this thing that runs my life personally and for business.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I went from years of ios to the g2 one year ago, and just couldn't ever go back due to being confined. I don't jb or root,but find that the open aspect of android is perfect for me to constantly tinker and improve this thing that runs my life personally and for business.

Couldn't agree more. I still keep an iPhone handy for when I need to scratch the itch and remind myself why I switched away from the iOS platform in the first place.

MrBungle999

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Fair review. I went to android from ios last year this time after being with Apple since the beginning.

I started with m7 to s4 to g2 when I stayed with g2 since its release. I loved the g2 and android since. I'm not fond of touchwiz at all though. I did fall in love with lg and I couldn't ever go back to Apple and it's tiny screen and locked environment. Lets see what they do with iPhone 6 and if they will really offer a bigger phone. I was just tired of the secrecy and let down with each release. They just never changed or offered choices. Same phone updated ui.

Apple started adding android features that I was jealous of after I jumped ship, but it was too little too late and still a tiny screen and its now the phone my mom has lol. When I use hers it's almost laughable that loved it one day. Sorry for my rant. I'm at work and rushing but that was my retrospective. Btw. Love the g3

Sent from my LG-D850 using AC Forums mobile app

oldschoolsig

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Couldn't agree more. I still keep an iPhone handy for when I need to scratch the itch and remind myself why I switched away from the iOS platform in the first place.

I pay for 3 phones,two iPods,an air Mac and a Mac book pro. I scratch that itch more than I want. I'm the family IT guy,I thought teens were the tech savvy ones? Truth told my gadget obsession is a hobby

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I pay for 3 phones,two iPods,an air Mac and a Mac book pro. I scratch that itch more than I want. I'm the family IT guy,I thought teens were the tech savvy ones? Truth told my gadget obsession is a hobby

I hear ya. I'm the same way, I love technology and always need to have the latest. I want to try everything.

Sent from my LG G3 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy