Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AstroStrat89
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Question About Buying New Phone [Verizon]

I am planning on getting the G3 for $99.00 and renew my contract with Verizon. I wish to do this in the store because I won't want to wait for shipping.

If I do this, can I get the G3 in the box unopened? I don't want it active on my line immediately, I would like to activate it after a week of playing with it at home on WiFi and getting it all set up. My Droid RAZR Maxx is my primary phone and I would like to continue this for the first week.

Is this possible? Will I face resistance from the VZW representative?

Global Posts
    7,234 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Default Re: Question About Buying New Phone [Verizon]

They may be uneasy with it, but I can't think of anything that would prohibit it. Interesting question. Is there any reason you couldn't activate it and then immediately switch back? I know you can do that.
    Thanked by:

Probably not. The rep would probably require it to be activated.

As said above, after activating, you can swap sims back to the drm.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Spock View Post
    They may be uneasy with it, but I can't think of anything that would prohibit it. Interesting question. Is there any reason you couldn't activate it and then immediately switch back? I know you can do that.
    I just want to be able to open everything new myself and have a virgin phone which I can activate on my own time. I'll walk out of the store right there if he opens it in front of me, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Probably not. The rep would probably require it to be activated.

As said above, after activating, you can swap sims back to the drm.
    What if I am unwilling to give them my sim? Do they issue a new one?

I was wondering if anyone else has done this, and if this can be done when you buy the full price option?

They will issue you a new sim. Most of the time they will require activation before leaving the store. It depends on the rep though. Doesn't hurt to try, but chances are you would be denied.

Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Perhaps I can give them the "it's a gift" story to keep them from opening it.. I mean, I am buying the phone and signing a contract, why does it matter if I use the phone or not? They still have my money.

Or just order online, free overnight shipping is what they're claiming on Verizon's website now.

Online is the sure bet.

you can order on line and then pickup at the store. I know online had the 50% off going that was not in the store I went to. But I think the "gift" may be your best best. But if they don't it's very easy to switch back from your My Verizon tools on the web site. Can probably do it in the car before you leave the parking lot.
    Thanked by:
    xocomaox likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by AstroStrat89 View Post
    you can order on line and then pickup at the store. I know online had the 50% off going that was not in the store I went to. But I think the "gift" may be your best best. But if they don't it's very easy to switch back from your My Verizon tools on the web site. Can probably do it in the car before you leave the parking lot.
    I don't seem to have the in store pickup option online. What is going on???

Also, it said free overnight shipping on the front banner, but during checkout only 2 day shipping is free. Overnight is like $17.50.

Global Posts
    471 Global Posts
    ROM
    Clean ROM 4.0

They are required to activate the phone before you leave. But just so you know, weather or not you buy at the store or order it online there are no seals on the box as it already comes pre-installed with a SIM. So the "virgin" phone thing, well its not lol. The way they package these phones the sleeve slides off the box, the box's lid pops off and the contents are loosely packed inside. Takes all of 5 seconds to the get the thing free.

The most intimate bit is peeling back the protective film that runs along its face, back, and sides...... You can ask them to leave those on if it...enhances the experience for you. LOL Sorry I couldn't resist.

But if you really want to be alone with your phone...order it online =)

P.S. They will activate it if you do in-store pickup. In-Store Pickup is just code for, order online and come on in so we can try to sell you accessories.

All the tech's going to do is put your SIM in the new phone, boot and make sure it works. If you don't want to use the phone, just swap the SIM back to the Maxx.
    Proud owner of: Black LG G3 & White LG G2
    Gone But Not Forgotten: OG Droid, Dinc, Droid Charge, iPhone 4, Bionic, Razr Maxx & Maxx HD, iPhone 5, SG3, HTC One Maxx, HTC One (M8), iPhone 6, and Droid Turbo (Ask me anything about them. I remember them all.)

Will make you activate it at store. SIM already in phone. Have them activate it and the just call Verizon when you get home and reactivate Maxx

Posted via Android Central App
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. I wasn't aware that the shipped one would already be opened, but it makes sense.

I'll just reactivate my razr when i get home.

Quote Originally Posted by xocomaox View Post
    I don't seem to have the in store pickup option online. What is going on???

Also, it said free overnight shipping on the front banner, but during checkout only 2 day shipping is free. Overnight is like $17.50.
    Not sure. Maybe it was because it wasn't quite officially "released" yet? When the G2 came out I got it day one (got the special hidden deal on line) and had the option to pick it up at the local VZW. The rep that helped could figure out what I had done to get the phone so cheap. But anyway I was looking GS5 and had the option to pick up if I wanted to at $99. When I went to the store just to look at it it was $149 and no rebate.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by AstroStrat89 View Post
    Not sure. Maybe it was because it wasn't quite officially "released" yet? When the G2 came out I got it day one (got the special hidden deal on line) and had the option to pick it up at the local VZW. The rep that helped could figure out what I had done to get the phone so cheap. But anyway I was looking GS5 and had the option to pick up if I wanted to at $99. When I went to the store just to look at it it was $149 and no rebate.
    When i was at the store it was listed at $199.00 with 2-year contract. But there were giant banners in the windows stating 50% off all new 2-year contract smartphones. I think they just want you to know how much you are saving. Either way, great deal. Strange that you saw it for $149...