Where's the FM radio?

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
This problem of US carriers disabling "stock" features from cell phones is why I refuse to buy a phone from them ever again.

My last phone that I got from AT&T was the m8. A great phone that I'm still in love with. But while AT&T didn't disable the FM radio (Verizon did disable it), what AT&T did do is just as bad. So what did AT&T do to the m8? It took away or disabled freebies (apps) that were included from the company.

While I'm used to carriers refusing to let us have our "free with purchase" drop box account, what I was blown away was that AT&T disabled Polaris office from it's HTC One M8. Note the word "disabled", I did not say uninstalled.

So now if I want to use Polaris office, I now have to have two installations of the same app on my phone!

I made a huge mistake by not getting an unlocked HTC One. I won't make that mistake again. After all, why should I buy a phone from any carrier if I'm not getting all the features and freebies that the manufacturer wants to give me?

The big question now is will LG ever sell an unlocked G3 in the US? Until they do, I'll just pass it up and buy what I can that is unlocked. No more bloated crap with disabled features and /or being robed of my freebies again.

Posted via Android Central App using the all new HTC One (m8)

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Warpdrive
I'm with you. I purchased an unlocked developer edition M8. It is frustrating that LG won't sell direct and that ATT slaughters something that I have paid full price for.

Sent from my LG-D850 using AC Forums mobile app

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Warpdrive
I'm with you. I purchased an unlocked developer edition M8. It is frustrating that LG won't sell direct and that ATT slaughters something that I have paid full price for.

Sent from my LG-D850 using AC Forums mobile app

Bumping this to help warn others of what AT&T did.

But I also understand your frustration as this is not a software issue, but a major hardware nerf that should never been touched. I also like to use the FM radio when I'm fishing (or away from wifi) or running low on data. I was pissed that Verizon disabled the FM tuner on the m8, regardless that I'm on AT&T. It just shouldn't happen.

It's bad enough that carriers do in fact change some of the ui on there phones, so that they don't always function like an unlocked one does. But to disable "give aways", or in this case hardware features, is just too much.

If a manufacturer wants me to buy a new phone, then they better offer it unlocked or I refuse to buy it. I'm clearly never buying a phone or tablet from AT&T ever again, that's for sure. And when AT&T asked me to do the questionare on the m8, I flat out told them that.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
One of the problems with complaining at the store is that you're dealing with ordinary, probably very nice people, and you don't want to upset them or spoil their day. You need to get at the more robust managerial and executive types at company HQ. They're the ones who sat round a table one day and said, "We'll disable the free FM Radio that LG put in the G3 so that users will have to download an app and use data when listening, and that's more of their money for us."

blackdogAC: I wish you a long and happy life with no fire and radiation.

Posted via Android Central App

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
One of the problems with complaining at the store is that you're dealing with ordinary, probably very nice people, and you don't want to upset them or spoil their day. You need to get at the more robust managerial and executive types at company HQ. They're the ones who sat round a table one day and said, "We'll disable the free FM Radio that LG put in the G3 so that users will have to download an app and use data when listening, and that's more of their money for us."

blackdogAC: I wish you a long and happy life with no fire and radiation.

@belodion: yeah- you're right. Some stuffed shirts DID have a meeting to decide what they would kill on this phone. And radio is on their list.

your final salutation is highly amusing. And it helps keep things in perspective, doesn't it?

Last edited by a moderator:

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
There is an app called SpiritFM that uses the FM Radio built into the phone. There is a free version: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=45682432#post45682432 and also a paid version on the play store. However, it will only work if AT&T simply disabled the FM Radio. Sometimes carrier's or OEMs disable it at the kernel level. Not sure if this is the case here. I don't know if root will fix it either.

Sent from my One Xl using AC Forums mobile app

FYI... It isn't *this* Spirit FM...

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...thgroup.snapdaddy.spiritfmwrxt&token=XV76a-4S

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Nobody is complaining at the store.

No offence meant to you or any other member, warpdrive, but the store is often the first port of call in complaints procedures.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
My understanding is the FM tuner was part of the tuner module for the Korean model and the 801 does not have an FM radio. Not correct?

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
No offence meant to you or any other member, warpdrive, but the store is often the first port of call in complaints procedures.

While that may be true, that is not what I ment.

When you buy a phone from AT&T, even if you return it, they will ask you to fill out some questions on how your experience was with your new phone. This is where your experience is noted and I'm sure many higher ups look at your replys.

I agree, bitchin to a low level sales rep is not going to help.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Ah yes I see what you mean.

There have been several occasions when I've headed into phone stores to look at the demo models, and have overheard irate customers sat there complaining about this or that...the assistants have to take it all and I always feel sorry for them. This is UK where people usually complain apologetically but some people just lose it.

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Nobody is complaining at the store.

I did yesterday. Even though these are very high end devices, the AT&T staff knows next to nothing about any device that's not an iphone. Seriously. And customers know even less. someone buys this $600 phone and in general they take birthday pictures, look at you tube and text. They use about 1% of the capability and don't know or care about missing/disabled features.

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Ah yes I see what you mean.

There have been several occasions when I've headed into phone stores to look at the demo models, and have overheard irate customers sat there complaining about this or that...the assistants have to take it all and I always feel sorry for them. This is UK where people usually complain apologetically but some people just lose it.

Well most of it is probably legit complaints. Unfortunately, like most retail and service jobs, the people that make the decisions are in NYC, LA or London and are completely insulated from the general population of consumers...and the low-paid staff in the stores or on the phone get to feel the wrath of the customer...merely because the customer does not have real access to corporate- and most of the time, corporate doesn't care.