Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Where's the FM radio?

The G3 is listed on all spec sheets I've seen. Now that I own it, I can't find it! Did AT&T disable it???

Sent from my LG-D850 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Where's the FM radio?

FM Radio is present as an app on my own unlocked UK version of the phone. What's going on over there?

Posted via Android Central App

ATT usually disables the FM radio...
    OnePlus One (64GB),Xperia Z2, LG G3, Lumia 925 8.1 Cyan, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8
    and yes...an iPhone 5 too...
    Thanked by 3:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

F#cking AT&T! God, they SUCK. I wish I could have bought unlocked. Maybe I'll return this and wait for unlocked.

Doesn't that f_ing suck? The functionality is there in the hardware, and the bastidges just disable it. J
    It doesn't even affect their system. Its just that they can't make money off it.

If att sold cars they'd take out the radio,spare tires, heater and AC and make you pay a monthly fee for them.

bbmjack and shelt like this.

would rooting allow me to recover this function?

Global Posts
    472 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Bean!

Nothing on TMO either. That's why I love HTC for this reason.

Quote Originally Posted by blackdogAC View Post
    F#cking AT&T! God, they SUCK. I wish I could have bought unlocked. Maybe I'll return this and wait for unlocked.

Doesn't that f_ing suck? The functionality is there in the hardware, and the bastidges just disable it. J
    It doesn't even affect their system. Its just that they can't make money off it.

If att sold cars they'd take out the radio,spare tires, heater and AC and make you pay a monthly fee for them.

Are you saying that if you downloaded one of the FM Radio apps in the Play store, it wouldn't work because your carrier has wilfully disabled a function that the manufacturer put in there?

Quote Originally Posted by planoman View Post
    ATT usually disables the FM radio...
    att disables a lot of stuff. its disappointing.

but who needs the radio when theres apps like spotify..
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Because you need to stream on your data plan...and that costs money. Sometimes a lot of money if you go over your cap. And there are places where you can't get cell service. The money is why they want to disable a free service like FM.

Oh, so MONEY comes into it, does it? Well that's a surprise. In that case I regard what they've done as mean, shameful and dishonourable and you may tell them this from me. If I were you, I'd try to get the phone replaced with the proper version....even if you're not that worried there's a principle involved....even if you never use FM radio, LG put it there and you've got the right to have it in your device. I'm feeling quite angry about this myself and I'm thousands of miles away and not affected.
    Or perhaps you get the phone cheaper after they've done their disabling trickery..?

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

I have tried some third party true FM over the air apps, and they are NOT working so far. Might work with root, but that just stinks....friggin ATT sucks!

Global Posts
    856 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I didn't even notice whether the FM radio option was there or not - Does anyone really listen to FM radio anymore with all of the other music options that are out there?

Last phone that I had with a working FM radio was the Thunderbolt. But even the other HTC phones after that didn't have the radio enabled. Just like not having pack in headphones they want you to buy streaming services or whatnot. FM radio would discourage some people from forking out cash.

Global Posts
    4,045 Global Posts
    ROM
    Phoenix 1.6 Sense 5 4.2.2

There is an app called SpiritFM that uses the FM Radio built into the phone. There is a free version: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2#post45682432 and also a paid version on the play store. However, it will only work if AT&T simply disabled the FM Radio. Sometimes carrier's or OEMs disable it at the kernel level. Not sure if this is the case here. I don't know if root will fix it either.

Sent from my One Xl using AC Forums mobile app
    “Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

In September of 2014 comes the greatest tool to modify almost any HTC phone. Unlock bootloader, flash recovery, root, and more. Open sourced, powerful, powered by the cloud via SSL, and best of all, it's 100% free. All built by me. Get ready to rock!

Well now I'm not sure I know what's going on with the US carriers, or some of them, but let's see if I've got it right.

Let's suppose that blackdogAC sometimes finds himself in a remote area, or one where the signal's very bad or down. He doesn't mind because he's got FM Radio on his phone. There's a natural disaster, a forest fire perhaps, or possibly a nuclear power station meltdown and the wind's blowing the fire or radiation his way. He can't be alerted via data because there's no signal. It doesn't matter, he can get news on his FM Radio which will be telling everyone in the area the best thing to do. But his FM Radio has been disabled. As he tries to escape the danger, not realising he's heading in exactly the wrong direction, he wonders why his carrier didn't let him keep FM Radio on his phone, which might have helped to save his life.

Not a fantastically fanciful situation, and the sort of thing that might persuade carriers to change their policy, if they thought that policy could be potentially endangering lives or safety.

On my Sprint version its NextRadio, works well. Got to have headphones in for it to work first tho
    thunder18 and eyeoutthere like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Liljay86 View Post
    On my Sprint version its NextRadio, works well. Got to have headphones in for it to work first tho
    Headphones are used as the antennae. At least Sprint gives us something huh?
    Note 3 / Note 2 / S4 / Moto X / hTc ONE / LG G2
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Belodion
    The emergency situation, or,just regular use..listening to news or whatever on beach or in backyard. Without stacking up megs on my data alottment.

I dl spirit 1 and Spirit 2. Neither work. Am talking with developer now.

Regardless, because the phone was built with and advertised as having FM, I should get FM.

Quote Originally Posted by Liljay86 View Post
    Great to hear. Thanks!

Personally, I use FM when at sporting events. It is typically the only way to get the live local commentators for NHL and NFL.

So from what I've been seeing on XDA Developers, the LG G3 fm radio apk is available. Here's the link to the post that houses the file: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...63865216448903

Now I did download it and it works with the Sprint G3, but there are indications from more than a few folks that it doesn't work on AT&T G3s so ymmv.

This problem of US carriers disabling "stock" features from cell phones is why I refuse to buy a phone from them ever again.

My last phone that I got from AT&T was the m8. A great phone that I'm still in love with. But while AT&T didn't disable the FM radio (Verizon did disable it), what AT&T did do is just as bad. So what did AT&T do to the m8? It took away or disabled freebies (apps) that were included from the company.

While I'm used to carriers refusing to let us have our "free with purchase" drop box account, what I was blown away was that AT&T disabled Polaris office from it's HTC One M8. Note the word "disabled", I did not say uninstalled.

So now if I want to use Polaris office, I now have to have two installations of the same app on my phone!

I made a huge mistake by not getting an unlocked HTC One. I won't make that mistake again. After all, why should I buy a phone from any carrier if I'm not getting all the features and freebies that the manufacturer wants to give me?

The big question now is will LG ever sell an unlocked G3 in the US? Until they do, I'll just pass it up and buy what I can that is unlocked. No more bloated crap with disabled features and /or being robed of my freebies again.

Posted via Android Central App using the all new HTC One (m8)

Any Verizon users have success with the FM radio?
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Warpdrive
    I'm with you. I purchased an unlocked developer edition M8. It is frustrating that LG won't sell direct and that ATT slaughters something that I have paid full price for.

Quote Originally Posted by blackdogAC View Post
    Warpdrive
    I'm with you. I purchased an unlocked developer edition M8. It is frustrating that LG won't sell direct and that ATT slaughters something that I have paid full price for.

Bumping this to help warn others of what AT&T did.

But I also understand your frustration as this is not a software issue, but a major hardware nerf that should never been touched. I also like to use the FM radio when I'm fishing (or away from wifi) or running low on data. I was pissed that Verizon disabled the FM tuner on the m8, regardless that I'm on AT&T. It just shouldn't happen.

It's bad enough that carriers do in fact change some of the ui on there phones, so that they don't always function like an unlocked one does. But to disable "give aways", or in this case hardware features, is just too much.

If a manufacturer wants me to buy a new phone, then they better offer it unlocked or I refuse to buy it. I'm clearly never buying a phone or tablet from AT&T ever again, that's for sure. And when AT&T asked me to do the questionare on the m8, I flat out told them that.

Posted via Android Central App using the all new HTC One (m8)
    belodion likes this.

One of the problems with complaining at the store is that you're dealing with ordinary, probably very nice people, and you don't want to upset them or spoil their day. You need to get at the more robust managerial and executive types at company HQ. They're the ones who sat round a table one day and said, "We'll disable the free FM Radio that LG put in the G3 so that users will have to download an app and use data when listening, and that's more of their money for us."

blackdogAC: I wish you a long and happy life with no fire and radiation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast