Where's the FM radio?

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
The G3 is listed on all spec sheets I've seen. Now that I own it, I can't find it! Did AT&T disable it???

Sent from my LG-D850 using AC Forums mobile app

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
FM Radio is present as an app on my own unlocked UK version of the phone. What's going on over there?

Posted via Android Central App

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
[language] AT&T! [language] I wish I could have bought unlocked. Maybe I'll return this and wait for unlocked.

[language] The functionality is there in the hardware, and [language] just disable it.
It doesn't even affect their system. Its just that they can't make money off it.

If att sold cars they'd take out the radio,spare tires, heater and AC and make you pay a monthly fee for them.

Last edited by a moderator:

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
[language]AT&T! [language] I wish I could have bought unlocked. Maybe I'll return this and wait for unlocked.

[language] The functionality is there in the hardware, and [language] just disable it.
It doesn't even affect their system. Its just that they can't make money off it.

If att sold cars they'd take out the radio,spare tires, heater and AC and make you pay a monthly fee for them.

Are you saying that if you downloaded one of the FM Radio apps in the Play store, it wouldn't work because your carrier has wilfully disabled a function that the manufacturer put in there?

Last edited by a moderator:

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Because you need to stream on your data plan...and that costs money. Sometimes a lot of money if you go over your cap. And there are places where you can't get cell service. The money is why they want to disable a free service like FM.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Oh, so MONEY comes into it, does it? Well that's a surprise. In that case I regard what they've done as mean, shameful and dishonourable and you may tell them this from me. If I were you, I'd try to get the phone replaced with the proper version....even if you're not that worried there's a principle involved....even if you never use FM radio, LG put it there and you've got the right to have it in your device. I'm feeling quite angry about this myself and I'm thousands of miles away and not affected.
Or perhaps you get the phone cheaper after they've done their disabling trickery..?

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I have tried some third party true FM over the air apps, and they are NOT working so far. Might work with root, but that just stinks....friggin ATT sucks!

pounder001

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I didn't even notice whether the FM radio option was there or not - Does anyone really listen to FM radio anymore with all of the other music options that are out there?

AstroStrat89

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Last phone that I had with a working FM radio was the Thunderbolt. But even the other HTC phones after that didn't have the radio enabled. Just like not having pack in headphones they want you to buy streaming services or whatnot. FM radio would discourage some people from forking out cash.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
There is an app called SpiritFM that uses the FM Radio built into the phone. There is a free version: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=45682432#post45682432 and also a paid version on the play store. However, it will only work if AT&T simply disabled the FM Radio. Sometimes carrier's or OEMs disable it at the kernel level. Not sure if this is the case here. I don't know if root will fix it either.

Sent from my One Xl using AC Forums mobile app

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Well now I'm not sure I know what's going on with the US carriers, or some of them, but let's see if I've got it right.

Let's suppose that blackdogAC sometimes finds himself in a remote area, or one where the signal's very bad or down. He doesn't mind because he's got FM Radio on his phone. There's a natural disaster, a forest fire perhaps, or possibly a nuclear power station meltdown and the wind's blowing the fire or radiation his way. He can't be alerted via data because there's no signal. It doesn't matter, he can get news on his FM Radio which will be telling everyone in the area the best thing to do. But his FM Radio has been disabled. As he tries to escape the danger, not realising he's heading in exactly the wrong direction, he wonders why his carrier didn't let him keep FM Radio on his phone, which might have helped to save his life.

Not a fantastically fanciful situation, and the sort of thing that might persuade carriers to change their policy, if they thought that policy could be potentially endangering lives or safety.

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Belodion
The emergency situation, or,just regular use..listening to news or whatever on beach or in backyard. Without stacking up megs on my data alottment.

I dl spirit 1 and Spirit 2. Neither work. Am talking with developer now.

Regardless, because the phone was built with and advertised as having FM, I should get FM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress