My Early G3 Issues

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I know, I know. Give it a few days and let it calm down, right? So far I've experienced the following:

• Battery life is pathetic. Charged over night with the phone off. With light usage since 4am, I'm at 37% left.
  • Signal quality is not good. 3g several times at my house yesterday.
  • Froze twice requiring battery pulls. (This might be because I went ahead and enabled ART.)

I'll have to keep an eye on it. I'm probably going to do an FDR today after it charges back up of course...

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Going on my 4th day and have not experienced any of those issues at all. Have you adjusted all the correct setting to help with battery life? I had issues with art enabled ever since I disabled it no issues!

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Going on my 4th day and have not experienced any of those issues at all. Have you adjusted all the correct setting to help with battery life? I had issues with art enabled ever since I disabled it no issues!

Ya. I'm going to do an FDR and remove ART.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
I have had no issues either. Charges quick and the battery life is as good if not better than my gs5. Signal quality also rivals the gs5.

kpantz

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
After the FDR and having left it w/ Dalvik, mine is like a totally different phone (so far) today. It's been off the charger since about 7:30 AM (90 minutes) with admittedly light usage, I'm still at 100%. No crashes or lockups. Yesterday, it was happening all the time after flipping to ART.

biglilsteve

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
None of those issues here.

Define light usage? Battery life has been awesome for me. My average day consists if around 2 hours screen on time and 1 hour of spotify streaming and 30 mins or so of talk time. Easily make it thru the day with 30-40% left in the tank.

My cell quality has been the same as the GS3 I just upgraded from.

And what is ART? Not familiar with that.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
After the FDR and having left it w/ Dalvik, mine is like a totally different phone (so far) today. It's been off the charger since about 7:30 AM (90 minutes) with admittedly light usage, I'm still at 100%. No crashes or lockups. Yesterday, it was happening all the time after flipping to ART.

That's gotta be it. Restoring now.

pounder001

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
None of those issues for me
My battery last a day plus with light usage, zero freezes, and my AT&T 4G LTE signal is no different than my G2 or Note3

jdzondo

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I've been running ART since Monday and haven't had any of the issues you are seeing. Stock/unrooted, great battery life, quick charge, the only issue I've had is with Chrome locking up sometimes but I think that has more to do with the app than the phone itself.

alengman

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I was having the symptoms. FDR and left it with dalvik. So far no issues. Do you guys have the Verizon G3? Thinking it maybe be a Verizon brand and ART issue.....

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I was having the symptoms. FDR and left it with dalvik. So far no issues. Do you guys have the Verizon G3? Thinking it maybe be a Verizon brand and ART issue.....

Yup. Verizon. You might be right. FDR complete. Leaving ART off. Hopefully it'll settle down in the next few days.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Good information here. I was excited about ART but since I am going to get a Verizon one I may just have to test it out myself.

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Yup. Verizon. You might be right. FDR complete. Leaving ART off. Hopefully it'll settle down in the next few days.

Let us know what happens. No issues with my phone and I have ART enabled. If FDR doesn't work, perhaps the problem is with your particular unit. May want to consider an exchange if the problem doesn't resolve itself.

sparkyman22

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
The battery life for mine is expected, pretty heavy use with bluetooth on with the watch and earpiece streaming music all day, emails, calls consistently. BBM and I have set the brightness to 20% and its still plently bright, the phone is flawless not one lock up or lag, everything I throw at it no problem. I had to sideload bbm and real racing 3 and a few days ago I get a update from google play saying they have an update for bbm eventhough it was not available for my G3. All that and I have about 30% battery at the end of the day. For my first android I am pretty happy, I guess my Z10 has been outclassed.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Not familiar with that either. Can someone pls explain what ART and FDR is?

Android is in the process of changing how the apps run on your device. Dalvik is the old way and ART is the new way. You have to go into the Developer settings to switch from Dalvik to ART.

FDR - (Factory Data Reset). This resets your device from it's first shipment from the warehouse.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Android is in the process of changing how the apps run on your device. Dalvik is the old way and ART is the new way. You have to go into the Developer settings to switch from Dalvik to ART.

FDR - (Factory Data Reset). This resets your device from it's first shipment from the warehouse.

Oh ok. Got it! So is this setting just for ppl with kitkat?

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Oh ok. Got it! So is this setting just for ppl with kitkat?
ART is only available on KK. It might be mandatory for L. We'll have to see, but right now if you're a developer, you can enable ART to build and test your app. Some people are enabling it and receiving improvements on how their apps run. That's why we're trying it. I had a negative experience, so I went back to Dalvik.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If you have a weak signal that explains the battery drain.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.