Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default My Early G3 Issues

I know, I know. Give it a few days and let it calm down, right? So far I've experienced the following:

• Battery life is pathetic. Charged over night with the phone off. With light usage since 4am, I'm at 37% left.
    • Signal quality is not good. 3g several times at my house yesterday.
    • Froze twice requiring battery pulls. (This might be because I went ahead and enabled ART.)

I'll have to keep an eye on it. I'm probably going to do an FDR today after it charges back up of course...
    Proud owner of: White LG G2 & (iPhone 6)
    Gone But Not Forgotten: OG Droid, Dinc, Droid Charge, iPhone 4, Bionic, Razr Maxx & Maxx HD, iPhone 5, SG3, HTC One Maxx, HTC One (M8), iPhone 6, Droid Turbo, & LG G3 (Ask me anything about them. I remember them all.)

Default Re: My Early G3 Issues

Going on my 4th day and have not experienced any of those issues at all. Have you adjusted all the correct setting to help with battery life? I had issues with art enabled ever since I disabled it no issues!
    Don't forge to vote! Your vote counts!
    Support thr 9-12 Project
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by o4liberty View Post
    Going on my 4th day and have not experienced any of those issues at all. Have you adjusted all the correct setting to help with battery life? I had issues with art enabled ever since I disabled it no issues!
    Ya. I'm going to do an FDR and remove ART.
    Gone But Not Forgotten: OG Droid, Dinc, Droid Charge, iPhone 4, Bionic, Razr Maxx & Maxx HD, iPhone 5, SG3, HTC One Maxx, HTC One (M8), iPhone 6, Droid Turbo, & LG G3 (Ask me anything about them. I remember them all.)
    LauraWA likes this.

I have had no issues either. Charges quick and the battery life is as good if not better than my gs5. Signal quality also rivals the gs5.

After the FDR and having left it w/ Dalvik, mine is like a totally different phone (so far) today. It's been off the charger since about 7:30 AM (90 minutes) with admittedly light usage, I'm still at 100%. No crashes or lockups. Yesterday, it was happening all the time after flipping to ART.
    xocomaox likes this.

None of those issues here.

Define light usage? Battery life has been awesome for me. My average day consists if around 2 hours screen on time and 1 hour of spotify streaming and 30 mins or so of talk time. Easily make it thru the day with 30-40% left in the tank.

My cell quality has been the same as the GS3 I just upgraded from.

And what is ART? Not familiar with that.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by kpantz View Post
    After the FDR and having left it w/ Dalvik, mine is like a totally different phone (so far) today. It's been off the charger since about 7:30 AM (90 minutes) with admittedly light usage, I'm still at 100%. No crashes or lockups. Yesterday, it was happening all the time after flipping to ART.
    That's gotta be it. Restoring now.

Global Posts
    869 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

None of those issues for me
    My battery last a day plus with light usage, zero freezes, and my AT&T 4G LTE signal is no different than my G2 or Note3

I've been running ART since Monday and haven't had any of the issues you are seeing. Stock/unrooted, great battery life, quick charge, the only issue I've had is with Chrome locking up sometimes but I think that has more to do with the app than the phone itself.

Global Posts
    116 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kpantz View Post
    I was having the symptoms. FDR and left it with dalvik. So far no issues. Do you guys have the Verizon G3? Thinking it maybe be a Verizon brand and ART issue.....
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by alengman View Post
    I was having the symptoms. FDR and left it with dalvik. So far no issues. Do you guys have the Verizon G3? Thinking it maybe be a Verizon brand and ART issue.....
    Yup. Verizon. You might be right. FDR complete. Leaving ART off. Hopefully it'll settle down in the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by alengman View Post
    Yeah - VZW variant here.

Good information here. I was excited about ART but since I am going to get a Verizon one I may just have to test it out myself.

Quote Originally Posted by scottysize View Post
    Yup. Verizon. You might be right. FDR complete. Leaving ART off. Hopefully it'll settle down in the next few days.
    Let us know what happens. No issues with my phone and I have ART enabled. If FDR doesn't work, perhaps the problem is with your particular unit. May want to consider an exchange if the problem doesn't resolve itself.
    Current Devices: Nexus 6, Moto X 2014, Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4

Retired Devices: Note 4, Nexus 5, OnePlus One, HTC One M8, Sony Xperia Z2, LG G3, Moto X, Note 3, HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Droid Bionic, HTC Droid Incredible, HTC Droid Eris

Android Addict

The battery life for mine is expected, pretty heavy use with bluetooth on with the watch and earpiece streaming music all day, emails, calls consistently. BBM and I have set the brightness to 20% and its still plently bright, the phone is flawless not one lock up or lag, everything I throw at it no problem. I had to sideload bbm and real racing 3 and a few days ago I get a update from google play saying they have an update for bbm eventhough it was not available for my G3. All that and I have about 30% battery at the end of the day. For my first android I am pretty happy, I guess my Z10 has been outclassed.

Quote Originally Posted by biglilsteve View Post

And what is ART? Not familiar with that.
    Not familiar with that either. Can someone pls explain what ART and FDR is?
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Quote Originally Posted by peacefulberry View Post
    Not familiar with that either. Can someone pls explain what ART and FDR is?
    Android is in the process of changing how the apps run on your device. Dalvik is the old way and ART is the new way. You have to go into the Developer settings to switch from Dalvik to ART.

FDR - (Factory Data Reset). This resets your device from it's first shipment from the warehouse.

Android is in the process of changing how the apps run on your device. Dalvik is the old way and ART is the new way. You have to go into the Developer settings to switch from Dalvik to ART.

FDR - (Factory Data Reset). This resets your device from it's first shipment from the warehouse.
    Oh ok. Got it! So is this setting just for ppl with kitkat?
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Quote Originally Posted by peacefulberry View Post
    Oh ok. Got it! So is this setting just for ppl with kitkat?
    ART is only available on KK. It might be mandatory for L. We'll have to see, but right now if you're a developer, you can enable ART to build and test your app. Some people are enabling it and receiving improvements on how their apps run. That's why we're trying it. I had a negative experience, so I went back to Dalvik.
    Thanked by:

If you have a weak signal that explains the battery drain.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Galaxy S6 (32 GB) using AC Forums.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post

While normally I'd agree with you, my other phones survived my desk all day with plenty of juice left for the evening. Here's what I got sitting here:
    My Early G3 Issues-screenshot_2014-07-18-10-29-01.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post

+1

So funny how owners have completely opposite issues. ART fixes this and that! No ART did this and that! Battery is awesome! No battery sucks donkey b***s!

Can't wait to get mine and find out which chocolate in the box I receive lol

While normally I'd agree with you, my other phones survived my desk all day with plenty of juice left for the evening. Here's what I got sitting here:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2014-07-18-10-29-01.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	128177
    Hmm, maybe have Verizon CS do their signal reset process. They've done that over the phone for me when I had them years ago and it worked. Just call from another phone than your G3

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2014-07-18-10-29-01.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	128177
    The other phone had another radio. In that location it may survive better.. Whereas the G3 can maybe survive better in another.

It's hard to expect the exact experience with every phone.. Different hardware and radios.. But usually a huge drain and weak signal go hand in hand.

Sent from my T-Mobile Galaxy S6 (32 GB) using AC Forums.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

As I said, normally I'd agree. Low Signal = Poor Battery. However, I've had the following at my same desk as the G3 with no battery drain:

Razr Maxx, Razr Maxx HD, Sammy Galaxy S3, HTC One Max, HTC One M8, LG G2.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast