Palm Touchstone Charging

Are you interested in a Palm Touchstone charging coil for the G3?

• Total voters

estockda

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure how many are interested in this but I have 5-6 Palm Touchstones that I used with my Pre, FrankenPre 2, and GS3 before getting my new G3.

Instead of switching to Qi just yet (I still don't see a charger I really like as much as the touchstone, nor can any charger beat the price of already-paid-for-it), I thought I'd see if anyone made a touchstone charging coil like they did for my GS3.

Looking on ebay, I saw people selling inserts for the GS4, Note 3, and GS5. I contacted one of them, stms18, and after some back and forth, here is what he said:
Thanks for your interest. I plan on making a wireless charger similar to the ones I made for the galaxy line. Unfortunately, this won’t happen until a month from now. I have no way of getting the phone till then. I need to measure and test prior to me selling them. I have made hundreds for the galaxy line and would like to continue to provide this service. Please spread the word and maybe someone in my area (los angeles, southbay area) has one and might let me borrow it for a few hours to prototype. In exchange, I will provide them with a coil for the G3.

One caveat I've found from doing some research: it seems like the AT&T G3 has different hardware (PMA) than the rest of the world's G3s (which support Qi). So I don't think this would be applicable for the D850 model.

So... is there anyone in that area with an VZW (VS985), Sprint (LS990), or T-Mobile (D851) G3 who would be interested in meeting up with stms18 to make this happen sooner than a month from now?

I also posted a poll to gauge interest in this solution.

Be Bop

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
I just got the Verizon LG G3 yesterday. I used to have the G2 which had qi charging built in and I have already hacked together a car mount plus qi charger with magnets/rubber coating for that one so I am very interested in getting the qi coils for my new G3. I live in the LA area.

estockda

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I just got the Verizon LG G3 yesterday. I used to have the G2 which had qi charging built in and I have already hacked together a car mount plus qi charger with magnets/rubber coating for that one so I am very interested in getting the qi coils for my new G3. I live in the LA area.

This thread is for those interested in using the old Palm Touchstone chargers in lieu of Qi. There are other threads for getting Qi to work, though.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

maxswell

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I have three Touchstones that I used with my GS3. I bought the LG G3 last week and very happy to hear that this is in the works. The touchstone is by far the best wireless charging system. I'm Surprised another company has not adopted it.

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Ok it's been a month, I guess this isn't happening? I just happened to find one of my old Touchstones the other day. Man they were good. Magnets and all.

estockda

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Hey.. sorry for the delay on this, I've been out of town and really busy.

stms18 did write me back. He got a hold of a non-AT&T G3 but is having issues getting the touchstone to charge it. He thinks perhaps the NFC coil is blocking it. He ordered a Qi back to see what the difference might be. Once he gets that he'll do more testing and even rip out the back of his current one to test his theory, if it comes to that.

Thanks for being patient. I'm hopeful that we'll get something working soon!

estockda

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Hey, just wanted to give the latest update: doesn't look like it's going to happen. :'(

When I asked stms18 if there was any luck getting something working, I got this response:
sorry, i havent had time. ive been working so much. at this point i wouldnt hold my breath. i appreciate the interest