Overheating Issues

ecb1171

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I got my G3 a week ago and have been pretty happy with it. Just a few issues and I found both battery life and performance to be better than reviewed.

This past weekend, I used Google Maps for a long (4.5 hr) drive. The G3 was mounted on my dashboard and the temp was in the low 80's. For both the drive and drive back, Google Maps crashed multiple times and, for the first time, I noticed the home screen redawing issue I had read about. In short, performance went down the crapper when the phone got hot.

I realize that this was less than ideal conditions, but I do not think that running Google Maps while having the phone mounted to my dashboard in the summer is an extreme use case. It certainly seems like the G3 is way more prone to overheating issues than other phones I have used.

For me, this is a deal breaker, though it may not be for others. I figured I'd relay my experience since it took an unusual set of circumstances for this issue to occur for me.

Masx

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I got my G3 a week ago and have been pretty happy with it. Just a few issues and I found both battery life and performance to be better than reviewed.

This past weekend, I used Google Maps for a long (4.5 hr) drive. The G3 was mounted on my dashboard and the temp was in the low 80's. For both the drive and drive back, Google Maps crashed multiple times and, for the first time, I noticed the home screen redawing issue I had read about. In short, performance went down the crapper when the phone got hot.

I realize that this was less than ideal conditions, but I do not think that running Google Maps while having the phone mounted to my dashboard in the summer is an extreme use case. It certainly seems like the G3 is way more prone to overheating issues than other phones I have used.

For me, this is a deal breaker, though it may not be for others. I figured I'd relay my experience since it took an unusual set of circumstances for this issue to occur for me.

This happens a lot with my HTC Rezound which is notorious for this. I was in looking at the G3 but these overheating issues concern me... may end up having to delay till fall to buy a new phone it seems

urrl

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I am on the road but while using google maps with the phone plugged in for power it will charge very slowly or not at all while the phone gets warm, but it has not crashed or given any overheating messages even while on full brightness. Are you with AT&T like I am? I drive with A/C on though.

ecb1171

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm on AT&T and I drive with the A/C on. I always use Google Maps in the car so I was on several trips using Google Maps and streaming music over bluetooth with no issues. However, this was the first time I was on a trip this long. It took about 90 minutes before I had issues. After that, it seemed to crash about once every 30 minutes.

jkimrey

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm on AT&T and I drive with the A/C on. I always use Google Maps in the car so I was on several trips using Google Maps and streaming music over bluetooth with no issues. However, this was the first time I was on a trip this long. It took about 90 minutes before I had issues. After that, it seemed to crash about once every 30 minutes.

I took a trip this past weekend and used the GPS (Google Maps) the whole way (2 hours) without issue. Same for the trip back later that evening.

I wasn't streaming over Bluetooth although it was connected to the car via Bluetooth.

Posted via Android Central App