Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By VW Maverick
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    172 Global Posts

Default G3 and Android L

Hey guys!

I have my G3 since 3-4 days and obviously I love it!

But I'm thinking about something. I was watching the Google keynote live a few weeks ago and I was blown away by the design of the new android and Google products.

The phone just got released and LG designed an interface (for quite long I suppose) really carefully.

What do you think how will we get the update? How will LG deal with the material design when they just released (and advertised) their new interface too.

Will we even get it?
    (Ps.: I'm coming from a Nexus 5 - that's why I am so confused by not having vanilla android. 😊)

Sent from my LG-D855 using AC Forums mobile app

Default Re: G3 and Android L

Yes, the G3 will get "L" and it will most likely be OTA (over the air). Even with "L", LG will skin it just like it is now just with a newer version of android. As far as when, it won't be at least 3 to 6 months after "L" is released by Google.

Hope this helps ya!
    Note 4/ Note 3 / Note 2 / hTc One E8 / Moto X / hTc ONE / LG G3 / iTerd 5s / iTerd 6

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Hopefully we get it sooner than 6 months, I know I'm asking a lot but would be cool if less than 3 months also coming from Nexus 5

Posted via Android Central App
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    172 Global Posts

Nice, thank you for the answer - I'm a little bit relieved.

But any idea about how can LG apply the material design?

I mean it will be very common for all of the apps and Google services and it will be very off if it won't be present in the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikh View Post
    Nice, thank you for the answer - I'm a little bit relieved.

But any idea about how can LG apply the material design?

I mean it will be very common for all of the apps and Google services and it will be very off if it won't be present in the system.

Think of it this way, while you will get the update and all that comes with it, you will not notice it. It will still be skinned and function like a kitkat G3.

In other words, if you pick up my S4 you'll never know if it has Jellybean or kitkat on it unless you look at the settings.

Posted via Android Central App using the all new HTC One (m8)

Global Posts
    5,222 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

I looked at the G2 update to KitKat it came in April, and KitKat was released in November last year so that is about 4.5-5 months. Pretty fast for Verizon, since they were dead last on the GN3 update and then mucked it up.

ROM
    CM12 v5.0.2 w/active LED.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like,
    and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    Banned

Global Posts
    960 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gator352 View Post
    Yes, the G3 will get "L" and it will most likely be OTA (over the air). Even with "L", LG will skin it just like it is now just with a newer version of android. As far as when, it won't be at least 3 to 6 months after "L" is released by Google.

Hope this helps ya!
    That's a big window, but I'm sure that it's correct.

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    172 Global Posts

I'm still afraid of the LG software update.

I love the design the the Android L- the dialer, the clock, notofications and everything.

If LG will keep the current look of the phone and all of the Android L phones will look fantastic and unified with apps that are designed especially with material design I will be super disappointed.

And we stuck there with material design in every single apps expect the system and the stock apps of LG.

Banned

Global Posts
    960 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wikh View Post
    I'm still afraid of the LG software update.

I love the design the the Android L- the dialer, the clock, notofications and everything.

If LG will keep the current look of the phone and all of the Android L phones will look fantastic and unified with apps that are designed especially with material design I will be super disappointed.

And we stuck there with material design in every single apps expect the system and the stock apps of LG.

I totally love this phone but to tell you the truth by the time Android L comes out I will probably just pick up a new phone with it installed. I will say this though, I haven't felt this good about a phone since the motox came out. The g3 is that special. I'm looking forward to the z3.

If the report I read was correct, Android L (Google) is limiting the amount of "skinning" manufacturers can do to Android. So if this is correct, Android L will have a lot of changes to the LG G3. So I believe the 6 month change thing when it comes to LG.
    Your neighborhood tech enthusiast
    Thanked by:
    Wikh 
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    172 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vahdyx View Post
    If the report I read was correct, Android L (Google) is limiting the amount of "skinning" manufacturers can do to Android. So if this is correct, Android L will have a lot of changes to the LG G3. So I believe the 6 month change thing when it comes to LG.
    Oh my God, really? This is some awesome news! Thank you for that. Are there any reference for that? Would love to read more about that.

I do hope with Android L, bugs in ART are fixed and stable.
    VZW LG G3/Motorola Xoom

ROM

Android L is specifically designed to run on ART so it will be a very cool update.

Mav.

geekaren likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gator352 View Post

Hope this helps ya!
    After that 3-6 months g3 wont get it untill another 3-6 months nd if ur with att like me ha u might have to wait ages..

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

ROM

Reminder to all that updates are released by the carriers, not directly from LG.

Mav.

Quote Originally Posted by streetkilln View Post
    After that 3-6 months g3 wont get it untill another 3-6 months nd if ur with att like me ha u might have to wait ages..

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
    Nope I B with Sprint. But I have a feeling LG will release it quicker than you think. I hope. Maybe? Right??
    Note 4/ Note 3 / Note 2 / hTc One E8 / Moto X / hTc ONE / LG G3 / iTerd 5s / iTerd 6