Concerned with LG G3 overheating.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
My phone has gotten hot three times now and the screen dropped down in brightness. I don't understand this. I love this phone but this is a real concern. Only 3 days left in my return period. Very confused.

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Re: Concerned with overheating.

What are you doing on the phone when it gets hot? Gaming or just basic stuff?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Wikh

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site

Don't worry, if you are using it for a while with bigger apps it's quite normal, especially if you are charging it.

Screen brightness dropping is super common and you shouldn't be worried. And at the end: It's only -10% brightness. :D

Sent from my LG-D855 using AC Forums mobile app

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site

Today out happened when I was watching videos. It seems to drop brightness in videos anyway then it gets hot and drops more

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

My phone has gotten hot three times now and the screen dropped down in brightness. I don't understand this. I love this phone but this is a real concern. Only 3 days left in my return period. Very confused.

My device hasn't had your issue but then again, I haven't watched videos for a prolonged period of time either, just quick minute clips on youtube. I do have some 720p ripped movies so I'll start watching one on my commute to work tomorrow and see if anything happens. If I were you, I would just take it back to get some peace of mind, especially since you still have 3 days left! Won't hurt to just swap it out for another!

Google10

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site

I'm listening to music on YT and browsing Chrome in dual window on my balcony and because the outdoor vis sucks on this thing, I had to pump the brightness and just got limited.

gummyjelly

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site

I haven't had an issue with any hotness or warm-ness on my phone and I'm a heavy user...

Sent from my LG-D851 using AC Forums mobile app

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site

I use autobrightness and haven't had any overheating issues and this is after having the screen on for extended periods of time.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

independentvolume

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

Take it back. I got mine yesterday morning and mine barely gets warm with heavy use. I've tried everything but gps. Of course gps gets every phone warm.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Were you on wifi or LTE? I watched a few videos on LTE once and the phone got quite warm around the buttons, camera area very quickly. I would not call it hot but warm. The screen did not dim because I had disabled that feature.

Last edited:

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site

Were you on wifi or LTE? I watched a few videos on LTE once and the phone got quite warm around the buttons, camera area very quickly. I would not call it hot but warm. The screen did not dim because I had disabled that feature.

How do you disable the screen from auto dimming?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

How do you disable the screen from auto dimming?

Reposted from pockynek on XDA:

The whole thermal throttling thing is a pain i.e. LG’s decision to turn down brightness when it gets hot. However there is something you can do and which I have now done for two weeks with no adverse problems. Turn it off! Put this in the phone app: 3845#*400# and then scroll down to 'high temperature property' and switch to enable and do the same for 'thermal daemon mitigation'. Please note my model is ‘400’ so this will work in the number sequence above. For models with other numbers I am pretty sure you just substitute and put that number in e.g. 855.

Substitute the model number i.e. I had the ATT model so I entered 3845#*850# into the dialer.

DudeThatsErin

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site

What are you doing on the phone when it gets hot? Gaming or just basic stuff?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Do y'all think I should take my phone back under insurance? All I have done within the last 10 minutes is browse here, send a text, receive a text (and I mean one each) and send 1 hangouts message and I am at 105.3*F at the time of posting this....
I have a screenshot of it going up. I can't even open my GSM app to take a screenshot of the thing going up...
8168.jpg
8170.jpg
8172.jpg

This is like the hundreth time it has done this since I got it on the 10th...

Posted via Android Central App

DudeThatsErin

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site

Just an update my phone is cooling itself down now even though I haven't changed what I am doing.. Same number of apps open and everything... 8176.jpg8174.jpg

These screenshots make it heat up again but 105*f is just too hot.... I thought I could ignore it but I barely want to take it outside in this humidity when I am inside in a cool house and it is doing this....

Posted via Android Central App

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site

" the hundreth time" - get a replacement. Maybe just the battery is bad, but it shouldn't be getting hot like that. I would try a CPU usage monitor also to see what's going on. Also a system tray app.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs