Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Duncan1982
  • 1 Post By belodion
  • 2 Post By beezlebubz
  • 1 Post By gummyjelly
  • 1 Post By Trader60611
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default G3 Front Facing Camera Issue - Wide Angle Stretch / Distortion

Just got the g3 and really like it, but the front camera seems strange. I'm not sure if I got a dud or if this is a side effect of the wide lens, but when taking a photo the edges are really stretched. It's difficult to even use.

Example:

G3 Front Facing Camera Issue - Wide Angle Stretch / Distortion-295zgup.jpg

Any thoughts? I can't tell if this issue is model wide or specific to my device. Thanks!
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: G3 Front Facing Camera Issue - Wide Angle Stretch / Distortion

Can anyone confirm if this is occurring for them as well?

Global Posts
    159 Global Posts

I just looked at mine. It seems normal to me. Do you have it on any specific setting? Mine is on auto mode.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Mobile Nations mobile app
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by drbol View Post
    I just looked at mine. It seems normal to me. Do you have it on any specific setting? Mine is on auto mode.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Mobile Nations mobile app

No setting applied... maybe mine has a hardware error?

Mine does this, too. I'm pretty sure it's the lens and not a setting.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Is everyone's this bad? I have to be very specific or the image is totally distorted.

See if there's similar distortion when using it to photograph eg buildings.

Posted via Android Central App

I just tried the above...the front camera has a wider angle of view. To minimise distortion when using it for its prime purpose, try to keep your head more central in the composition and hold the phone square-on to your face, without tilt.

I don't notice this with mine?? Might be a hardware issue.

Yes I have the same problem also and I don't like it. =(
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Ok I just test it out again. Maybe I didn't notice because my g2 does the same. I also take pics with my face center in the middle without tilting it.. Hmm I don't think a hardware issue but more an issue on the way you're tilting your head? Remember it's a camera, not a mirror.

Sent from my LG-D851 using AC Forums mobile app

Tried changing my settings and also tried using the low light option with the bright back light on. Still distorted. No distorted pics if I center my face but what about pics taken with friends? Can't always center my face for all my pics. Very disappointed since my camera is one of my most important features in a phone. Beautiful phone but not for me after all. Returned it after 9 days. Back to my iPhone. =(
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,920 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Melody808 View Post
    Tried changing my settings and also tried using the low light option with the bright back light on. Still distorted. No distorted pics if I center my face but what about pics taken with friends? Can't always center my face for all my pics. Very disappointed since my camera is one of my most important features in a phone. Beautiful phone but not for me after all. Returned it after 9 days. Back to my iPhone. =(
    Wow that's all it took, i m never one to be shocked but what wouldn't annoy me might annoy another I suppose lol

Enjoy your iPhone.

gummyjelly likes this.

Either im blind or something is wrong with my eyes because i dont see anything in the picture. Can someone point it out exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by beezlebubz View Post
    Either im blind or something is wrong with my eyes because i dont see anything in the picture. Can someone point it out exactly?
    In the picture that rube_ sent, the top of the head appears large relative to the whole head, and the head appears large relative to the body...in other words, distortion typical of wide angle lenses especially if you tilt them relative to the plane of the subject. It's not a fault, but a characteristic of that type of lens.

Self and group portraits would have to be very important to you to reject the phone for that reason.

gummyjelly likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by belodion View Post
    In the picture that rube_ sent, the top of the head appears large relative to the whole head, and the head appears large relative to the body...in other words, distortion typical of wide angle lenses especially if you tilt them relative to the plane of the subject. It's not a fault, but a characteristic of that type of lens.

Self and group portraits would have to be very important to you to reject the phone for that reason.

Yeah to me its more of him tilting leaning down towards the camera making the results look the way it does. i dont think regular pics taken with your face/head evenly in the view of the camera will produce the same thing cause i tried it a few times an the pics still look good an of course im not tilting down to it. Even with group portraits i dont think its an issue unless everyone is tilting their heads down.
    gummyjelly and belodion like this.

Quote Originally Posted by beezlebubz View Post
    Yeah to me its more of him tilting leaning down towards the camera making the results look the way it does. i dont think regular pics taken with your face/head evenly in the view of the camera will produce the same thing cause i tried it a few times an the pics still look good an of course im not tilting down to it. Even with group portraits i dont think its an issue unless everyone is tilting their heads down.
    Exactly and I use my selfie camera a lot. I love the feature of the open hand and fist to snap a picture 😃

Sent from my LG-D851 using AC Forums mobile app
    beezlebubz likes this.

I got my G3 a month ago but just started taking pictures of people this weekend, and I am really upset at the distortion this camera produces. This is the "normal" (rear facing) lens, not the selfie lens. The heads look oversized and the proportion of people is all wrong. I am mortified that I purchased this camera. If anyone knows how to fix this embarrassing issue, or how to complain to LG for this malicious deception, please let me know.

^^^Could you post one or two samples, if not of people, then of anything which would make any distortion obvious?

Thank you for your interest. I have attached two photos of a rectangular file cabinet. The photo from a parallel orientation of the camera approximates reality. The photo from the same distance, but looking down from slightly above distorts the shape significantly. it is worse with human beings. Apparently any deviation from parallel creates significant unwanted effects.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G3 Front Facing Camera Issue - Wide Angle Stretch / Distortion-fromabove.jpg   G3 Front Facing Camera Issue - Wide Angle Stretch / Distortion-cameraparallel.jpg  
    belodion likes this.

I have noticed this too someone had mentioned it before. It doesn't bother me because I don't take pictures downward? My g2 had it too and it never bothered me. I wonder why LG didn't fix this with the g3? If anyone knows how to fix it let us know, I think it might be the lens though 😞

Trader and gummy, yes, mine is exactly the same, it's the laws of optics....the effect you get to some degree or other with wideangle lenses.

When I first got my g3 my front facing camera worked absolutely fine. I didnt notice any distortion or that weird pinkish bloom. Then out of nowhere i had a pink border around the screen and i now have the same problem as you. If i use snapchat its fine but through the camera app i get the distortion.

The pink border appears if you have flash on..uses the extra light of the screen as flash. If you turn the flash off the pink border gores away.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 3