Serious sound issues through LG G3 headphone jack/AUX!

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I discussed this in another post that contained a multiple of items recently.
I'd like to start a specific thread about sound issues relative to the headphone jack.

There's a significant audio problem with the G3 (and I think it's been verified in almost every G3 variant).
Playing music through headphones is generally not an issue.
There is a problem with how the G3 "views" an external connection to an AUX IN. (connection to car or home stereo/computer speakers).
From my experience, there are three distinct main issues, although they are all probably related.
1. When plugging in the G3 to a car or home stereo using a double-male 3.5mm plug audio connection cord, the LG really struggles.
Generally it has significant problems recognizing that it's getting plugged into a stereo and refuses to make the connection. Despite a good cord being firmly connected, it only plays music through its internal speaker. Sometimes after repeated attempts, it will mysteriously "connect" and audio comes out the speakers. sometimes after the connection has been established, it will "drop it" and sound comes out only the G3 internal speaker again. It's highly-frustrating and apparently difficult to solve. It's also intermittent. Many users report having everything be well with their new G3 for a week and then having significant problems connecting to an audio system.
Some users have no problem whatsoever. Some have tested the G3 on one model of a particular manufacturer's sound system and in another similar one, with differing results.

The G3 ahs a cute little algorithm that tries to let the internals know if it is being connected to a headphones or an auxiliary input. It displays a cute little headphones or cord/plug graphic in the notification bar. Pretty silly, because it's very obvious to the user if they plugged in a headphones, or plugged into their car stereo; the whole setup is right there in front of them! (why even have the notification symbols?) And, the little cutsy mechanism does not work. It senses headphones pretty well but has a hard time recognizing (and maintaining) an AUX connection. Apparently the AUX circuitry is very finicky and rejects minor differences in impedance/resistance created by either the cord or the front end of the stereo itself. Some have claimed that cheap cords, with high resistance (normally not a good thing for audio) work well. Others claim this does not solve the issue. Connecting is accompanied by a loud electrical "pop!" I can sense that it's not the actual electrical plug connection that is makine the loud audio noise (like plugging in a guitar to an amp wioth the amp turned up). although it sounds like that, it's being made by the internals of the phone.

2. Between every track played on the music player, there's a loud electrical-sounding "POP!" Some have called it a "sound explosion". It's extremely unpleasant. It occurs all the time between each audio track. Some claim that they have solved the AUX connection problem but that they cannot solve the audio "explosions" between tracks. This , for me an others, seems to be mainly a problem in the LEFT channel.

3. When the player is playing quiet passages, or if it is idle, weird random electronic noises can be heard emanating from only the left channel. Typically what I am hearing varies. But depending on unknown factors, I will hear a mid-frequency "motor-boating" sound, a VERY high-frequency (17-19 kHz?) fairly continuous constant-pitch noise, and, various high-frequency multi-pitched "computer sounds", and, a" tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick" sound about 3-4x per second. Also I have noticed that the odd chatter and fairly constant noises VARY DIRECTLY to manipulation of the DISPLAY! If the noises are making some pattern with the display off and I wake the display, or if I start moving on the display- scrolling albums, etc, the noise will vary directly with the activity on the display. Also, this problem seems to be limited to the LEFT channel. To me this indicates physically a bad shielding from some high-frequency signals between drivers for the display and the low-level signal conductors going to the output jack.
\When you are a music lover and experience all of this together on a brand new $600 premium flagship phone, it's maddening to say the least.

Some claim that they are solving the problem by connecting the G3 to a charging USB when playing music in the car. Others take an audio cable-splitter and connect a crappy pair of headphones to the splitter along with plugging into the stereo. "G3 see nice headphone- G3 much happy":)
Some people say "buy a Bluetooth adapter for the car". which all seem to have mixed success and avoid the issue.

Some say that KitKat (our wonderful little KitKat?) has an audio bug that's manifesting in many phones, the Sony Xperia X2 for one. So PERHAPS an android update to their crappy KitKat could fix some of this?

I have gone through complete setup and investigation of one G3, returned it to AT&T, and completely setup a new G3, to no avail. Exact same issues. I now have five days to decide if I am going to return it for credit. LG refuses to acknowledge the issue according to posters on other sites who have had direct communication with LG.

If it's exclusively a software problem (android OR LG), there is some remote chance that they will admit a problem and fix via some far-distant OTA. If it's a physical (shielding or construction) problem, well I'd guess we are SOL. This is otherwise a great phone, but for a music lover, this is utter garbage. Headphones and AUX inputs have been around a long, long time, and this should not be some great mystery that ruins an otherwise great device. LG should take immediate responsibility and notify carriers that this is an issue. So far the kids in the AT&T store are clueless as usual.

Please check out the 12-page thread over at xda:
Aux cable problem | LG G3 | XDA Forum

Many people I know do not use the music player and only use streaming service. Some who DO use the player will be using Bluetooth. So those users are probably unaware of the issues. Highly disappointing for such a high-end phone that I have been waiting so long for.:mad:

Last edited:

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: Serious sound issues through headphone jack/AUX!

another user on xda suggested this:
Amazon.com: Kensington Noise Reducing Car Audio AUX Cable for MP3 or SmartPhone, including iPhone 4S: MP3 Players & Accessories
Temporary improvement:
Amazon.com: Kensington Noise Reducing Car Audio AUX Cable for MP3 or SmartPhone, including iPhone 4S: MP3 Players & Accessories
I can report that for me, on my 2009 Toyota Rav4 OEM stereo, this is working pretty well.
Really reduces the connectivity issues (so far)
Still have the pop noise between tracks but it's reduced from a 10/10 to maybe a 3/10. A lot better.
Still have the "computer talk" junk noise in the left channel relative to the display activity.
I can live with this...until Android and/or LG come up with a fix.

Dennis Wilson1

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site

I have the noise issue caused by the display with no music playing with my Optimus G Pro, too. And, I was just about to purchase a G3 when I discovered this auxiliary cable issue with it. For me, it's a deal breaker - I drive a tractor-trailer for a living, and I spend up to 11 hours at a time driving. I have a 64GB microSDXC card in my G Pro, and I have over 3,000 songs loaded onto it. Not being able to plug my cell phone into the factory stereo in the 2015 Volvo tractor I drive is a HUGE issue for me. I had a good impression about LG and their cellphones, even with the small audio noise issue on my Optimus G Pro (honestly, there's ever VERY little time no music would be playing), but no more due to the auxiliary cable issue on the G3.

So, I just bought a brand-new, still-sealed-in-the-box Samsung Galaxy Note 3 on eBay for $525 (there were other new, slightly less expensive ones available, but it was important to me to get one in a still-sealed box).

Nice, LG - you just lost a sale AND a customer. I won't even consider LG phones in the future, now!

fsfty

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site

Does the truck have a USB port? You could've plugged into that insted of the auxillary. Also, the issue seems to disappear with higher quality cables for what I e read...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

Well I had no problems with headphones and didn't try the jack for anything else until now.

Thought I would test and I have the cheapest cable money can buy and it works without a crackle.

If video evidence is required I can do that upon request.

Posted via Android Central App

the_newnormal

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site

Mine functions well through headphones and AUX. Picture of my aux cable plug:
http://s15.postimg.org/3qb4x6pxz/20140727_092453_2.jpg

I have the international d855

Note: I did have to remove my spigen slim armour case for the plug to seat correctly.

I had Bluetooth, nfc and miracast off. Brightness 100% auto. All volumes (other than music) at 0%
I use Rocket Music Player (didn't think to compare to stock one)

Last edited:

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

Why not just buy one of those Bluetooth dongles that plug into your AUX port?

That will give you bluetooth in your vehicle to play your music with the GS3 without even have to plug the phone in.

pushdrops

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Glad I caught this as we were about to buy two g3's to replace our Droid Maxx and GNexus devices from 12/2011.
Our older phones are holding up in that at least we can listen to music often without audio output jack issues. This is so basic that I'd not expect such an issue on an ten year old bottom of the line budget device much less a July 2014 flagship device.

Do the audio issues when using the analog headphone like out cause issues for all apps or only when playing local MP3 files via the stock music player ? (do Spotify, Netflix , YouTube experience the issue?)

Thanks AC for keeping me in the know and discovering this major issue before going thru the major hassle of purchasing 2x $599 devices.

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Does the truck have a USB port? You could've plugged into that insted of the auxillary. Also, the issue seems to disappear with higher quality cables for what I e read...

Actually from what I have read, low quality cords, which typically will be a higher resistance, work better. Not for audio quality of course but to solve this issue.

Sent from my LG-D850 using AC Forums mobile app

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Actually from what I have read, low quality cords, which typically will be a higher resistance, work better. Not for audio quality of course but to solve this issue.

Yeah from what I've heard Bluetooth does not carry the full 20-20KHz audio spectrum. Good,but probably not for audiophiles.

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Glad I caught this as we were about to buy two g3's to replace our Droid Maxx and GNexus devices from 12/2011.
Our older phones are holding up in that at least we can listen to music often without audio output jack issues. This is so basic that I'd not expect such an issue on an ten year old bottom of the line budget device much less a July 2014 flagship device.

Do the audio issues when using the analog headphone like out cause issues for all apps or only when playing local MP3 files via the stock music player ? (do Spotify, Netflix , YouTube experience the issue?)

Thanks AC for keeping me in the know and discovering this major issue before going thru the major hassle of purchasing 2x $599 devices.

I have not tested this with other apps such as Pandora. I'll do that and report back. The noise reduction cord works fairly well for me to solve the connectivity and "sound explosion " issues. Not perfect,but a significant improvement. Keep in mind that every user is not experiencing the problems. Different car stereos seen to react differently to the G3-or vice-versa.

Bobbman

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site

I don't think any android phones have audio out thought the a usb connection (at least without some major modifications or rooting). I wish they did.

erikranger

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I have the G2 as well as the G3, I have no issues with either. I use headset, inner ear monitors, 3.5 mm to connect to my car stereo, and I also have a dac/amp (filo e17). I have no issue with connecting the G3 or the G2 with any of them.

In fact, the G3 has some of the best audio I have ever heard out of a phone. I might be getting rid of the amp because of it...

Erikranger

fsfty

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site

I don't think any android phones have audio out thought the a usb connection (at least without some major modifications or rooting). I wish they did.

You very well may be right. I used the USB port to listen to music with my iphone. I just assumed you could do the same with android.

dglock

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site

Just tried mine though monster cable aux to home carver preamp .....No problems here great sound !and also tried sony headphones fine too

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I would replace the phone. If you're still having issues, rake your carrier over the coals

Posted via Android Central App

This is my second phone. Exact same. Glad you guys without the issue are safe. From what I've heard, the problem can vary from stereo to stereo so you never know...