Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    ROM
    LG's 4.4.2

Default Should I return LG G3 under insurance??

Hey guys,

So I've been noticing quite a few issues that I wanted to combine into one thread... First my phone overheats... Bad. After simply browsing the web or here with the ac app. See...
    Should I return LG G3 under insurance??-8172.jpg

It auto cools down though...
    Should I return LG G3 under insurance??-8174.jpg

If you look at the pictures that is 5 min apart from one another and nothing I was doing changed...
    This has happened since I got the device. No I have not charged it since 5:30pm today.

Also, when I try to unlock my device by double tapping then putting in my lock code the screen only stays on for 2 milliseconds and then turns right back off. Lucky this isn't a big issue but it is annoying.

I took my phone out with my dog the other day and I kept turning the screen on and it would stay on thinking I was doing the lock code. This would be a big battery drainer and hassle (I'd have to put in my backup code a lot) if I had it in a purse. Does this happen for anyone else?

The biggest thing for me is the overheating as that causes battery drainage faster than normal even though I still get about 12-20hrs on a good charge... With overheating. I'm shocked by that. Anyway, my s3 overheated but not nearly to thus degree... Advice?

Posted via Android Central App
    Current Carrier: T-Mobile (all phones are carrier locked) || Current Phone: LG G3 rooted || Previous Phone: Galaxy S4
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    ROM
    LG's 4.4.2

Default Re: Should I return under insurance??

I was able to get some snapshots ofShould I return LG G3 under insurance??-8184.jpgShould I return LG G3 under insurance??-8186.jpg my usage over the past 4 days...
    Should I return LG G3 under insurance??-8178.jpgShould I return LG G3 under insurance??-8180.jpg

Current Carrier: T-Mobile (all phones are carrier locked) || Current Phone: LG G3 rooted || Previous Phone: Galaxy S4

I wouldn't use insurance--this sounds more like a defect. Insurance would require you to pay a deductible. First, contact T-Mobile and go over with them what you've detailed to us. See if they will give you a replacement. If not, then contact LG and ask for a replacement under warranty.

You're within 14 days you should go to the place of purchase and switch it out... Now lol

Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    LG G3
    Ambassador

I experienced overheating when I switched to ART. If you are using ART switch back to Dalvik and see if it fixes. Also, have you tried a factory reset? It's the first thing they'll tell you to do.

Gator352 and scottysize like this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    ROM
    LG's 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    I wouldn't use insurance--this sounds more like a defect. Insurance would require you to pay a deductible. First, contact T-Mobile and go over with them what you've detailed to us. See if they will give you a replacement. If not, then contact LG and ask for a replacement under warranty.
    Yeah I am about to call them...

Quote Originally Posted by ffejjj View Post
    You're within 14 days you should go to the place of purchase and switch it out... Now lol

I think tomorrow may be my last day so I'll call them now...

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    ROM
    LG's 4.4.2

Got it returned and they are crediting me. They are sending me out a brand new one first but I'm about to do a factory reset beforehand so I can send back as soon as the US guy shows up. Won't even let him leave without returning. Lol

Thanked by:
    GrooveRite, B. Diddy and ffejjj like this.

Yes, definitely a defective battery or motherboard. Glad you're returning.

Quote Originally Posted by DudeThatsErin View Post
    Got it returned and they are crediting me. They are sending me out a brand new one first but I'm about to do a factory reset beforehand so I can send back as soon as the US guy shows up. Won't even let him leave without returning. Lol

That was quick. You couldn't have wished for a better response from them.

Quote Originally Posted by xocomaox View Post
    I think so too. I haven't had any problems with my battery and I've been putting it through everything!

I've had the exact same overheating experience. It'll spike to over 105 degrees.
    I'm on my second unit (swapped first one after 1 week).
    The first one was worse, it got as high as 112 degrees.
    But this second one is still hitting > 100...
    I got a call yesterday and it immediately got hot to the point of being pretty uncomfortable against my ear.

0-for-2 is not good... I'm returning it and going back to my M7 for a while and see if LG recognizes and corrects the problem.
    Seems like most of you are having no heat issues at all, but there also seems to be a percentage of us that points to some sort of manufacturing issue.

Frustrating because I'm very pleased with everything else about the phone, but I paid too much for the phone to put up with this.
    I'll wait a couple months and see if they fix it... or maybe the Nexus 6 will be a good alternative...

If it is immediately heating up then something seems wrong. But 112 F isn't terrible in and of itself, depending on what you are doing. I have seen 154F on my note 2.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    ffejjj likes this.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    ROM
    LG's 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    If it is immediately heating up then something seems wrong. But 112 F isn't terrible in and of itself, depending on what you are doing. I have seen 154F on my note 2.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/24/8uzesady.jpg

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Holy crap. I would have returned the note 2 that you had....

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Martin View Post
    I've had the exact same overheating experience. It'll spike to over 105 degrees.
    I got a call yesterday and it immediately got hot to the point of being pretty uncomfortable against my ear.

0-for-2 is not good... I'm returning it and going back to my M7 for a while and see if LG recognizes and corrects the problem.
    Seems like most of you are having no heat issues at all, but there also seems to be a percentage of us that points to some sort of manufacturing issue.

Frustrating because I'm very pleased with everything else about the phone, but I paid too much for the phone to put up with this.
    I'll wait a couple months and see if they fix it... or maybe the Nexus 6 will be a good alternative...
    Hopefully this one is better. I'll let y'all know when I get it tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    ROM
    LG's 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by xocomaox View Post
    I thought the battery was defective when I got it because the bottom part (not the one side that gives it power) looked like it was bent up a bit in an L shape like it was deformed on the inside... it was straight on the outside but there was a little lip at the bottom...
    I didn't think of it until my mom brought it up the night I called T-Mobile but it could have been.

Quote Originally Posted by belodion View Post
    That was quick. You couldn't have wished for a better response from them.
    I know. They are paying for return shipping and I don't think I am paying for this new one... cause they are refunding me for the old one. This new one cost less than the old one. 0.0 idk why exact same everything on the order... makes no sense but anyway I will make some money off of everything. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by GrooveRite View Post
    I think so too. I haven't had any problems with my battery and I've been putting it through everything!
    That's good!

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Martin View Post

Oh wow. Waiting for UPS to show up today. It is on the truck for delivery but it looks like the UPS guy will have a late night and will not show up until around 8 tonight. I hope sooner... He usually shows up around 12.

Hope your new phone performs better for you

LG G3
    Ambassador

Hope your new phone performs better for you

I first read that as "I hope your new phone performs better on you".....lol
    Note 4/ Note 3 / Note 2 / hTc One E8 / Moto X / hTc ONE / LG G3

Quote Originally Posted by Gator352 View Post
    Lol that's just wrong

LG G3
    Ambassador
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    ROM
    LG's 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by Gator352 View Post
    Lol that's just wrong

LMFAO

I finally got the new one and sent back my old one. I think the charger on this one is broken. It is emitting a high pitched sound and when I move it around it stops for a second and then starts back up. I'm going to check if it is the plug once it is fully charged (since this is its first charge) but from what I can tell now, it looks like I will be calling T-Mobile again for a new charger. LOL Just tested it and either 2 plugs in my room are making noises and I only just heard them now (including a serge protector; highly unlikely) or this charger is messed up. Either way I will be calling them.

Only me would have all of these issues.

On another note, I'm going to test the heating up before I call tonight. I'm only going to download GSAM because I want to make sure it has all of the default apps when I test and then I'll be doing the same thing I did before. Simply browsing forums. If it heats up again, hopefully, I can visit a store tomorrow since this will be the second replace.
    I LOVE this phone but the overheating has to be a manufacturing issue.

This battery did have the lip on the bottom that the other one had... so I have a feeling it will be overheating but time will tell.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    ROM
    LG's 4.4.2

So, I am going to try the charger one more time when the phone needs a charge but as far as the overheating. I've been downloading apps for about 20 minutes now (started for 20 minutes (about) just browsing forums) and NO overheating AT ALL. It has gotten up to 101*F max.

I'll see if maybe one of my apps may have been causing the overheating but so far it looks to have been my previous phone.

Right now as I am still downloading 375 apps (LOL) my phone is hovering at 100*F with my hand holding it or 99*F if I lay it on the desk. So, that is pretty good. Still warm compared to the 80-85*F that it is supposed to be but with what I am doing, I figure that to be normal.

Quote Originally Posted by DudeThatsErin View Post
    So, I am going to try the charger one more time when the phone needs a charge but as far as the overheating. I've been downloading apps for about 20 minutes now (started for 20 minutes (about) just browsing forums) and NO overheating AT ALL. It has gotten up to 101*F max.

I'll see if maybe one of my apps may have been causing the overheating but so far it looks to have been my previous phone.

Right now as I am still downloading 375 apps (LOL) my phone is hovering at 100*F with my hand holding it or 99*F if I lay it on the desk. So, that is pretty good. Still warm compared to the 80-85*F that it is supposed to be but with what I am doing, I figure that to be normal.
    Ah, much better, sounds like you're on the right track

LG G3
    Ambassador
    DudeThatsErin likes this.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    ROM
    LG's 4.4.2

Ugh. Now, it just jumped up to 106*F idk if that is the downloading of the apps or what. :/

106F still isn't that unusual, especially when setting up a phone and installing so many apps at a time. Are you getting any warnings from the phone?
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    ROM
    LG's 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    106F still isn't that unusual, especially when setting up a phone and installing so many apps at a time. Are you getting any warnings from the phone?
    I did not.

Phone came with a scratch and shorted out charger so I am sending it back again....ugh... This is ridiculous. I have my heart set on this phone that I will not have until Tuesday at the earliest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    ROM
    LG's 4.4.2

Was able to get one at the store this morning! (: Going to ship off my returned device on Monday and I bought an otterbox. Let's hope that I don't have to do this again!
    Thanked by:
    GrooveRite likes this.

I believe the hissing of the charger is normal. My sister's charger does the same thing on her LG G3. I hear it as well, usually when it's on the charger and I'm messing with the phone. My Note 2 did the same thing too. Annoying but could be worse. Good luck on your exchange.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast