HACK: Get into the LG G3 without knowing the knock code

Status
Not open for further replies.

DudeThatsErin

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
So, you don't need to know the knock code to get into someone's phone and lock it from them. I found this out cause my family was messing with my phone last night.

Basically put in the wrong knock code 5 times and then you are redirected to put in the pin. Put in wrong pin #s about 2-3 times and then the right one. You'll then be redirected to where it will make swype the default method to get into your phone or you can change it.... BAM! Now someone unlocked your phone and can lock it on you.

If someone were randomly guessing at your pin they could do it unlimited times (my sister used up every option she could think of to try to get into my phone). Which is not good. Cause once they do get it, they could lock your phone on you.

If you have a G3 try it. I want to see if you can do it, too.

This is a MAJOR bug. Ugh.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
So, you don't need to know the knock code to get into someone's phone and lock it from them. I found this out cause my family was messing with my phone last night.

Basically put in the wrong knock code 5 times and then you are redirected to put in the pin. Put in wrong pin #s about 2-3 times and then the right one. You'll then be redirected to where it will make swype the default method to get into your phone or you can change it.... BAM! Now someone unlocked your phone and can lock it on you.

If someone were randomly guessing at your pin they could do it unlimited times (my sister used up every option she could think of to try to get into my phone). Which is not good. Cause once they do get it, they could lock your phone on you.

If you have a G3 try it. I want to see if you can do it, too.

This is a MAJOR bug. Ugh.

But the person is still required to enter a correct pin code.

So can't see why this is a hack?

Posted via Android Central App

TheTruth5442

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site

Pretty much my thoughts, just put it to something secure that only you would know, like the last four digits of your SSN or a membership card or something no one has no need to memorize?

DudeThatsErin

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site

When they do figure it out, which they will with the unlimited tries thing then they can hack into your phone.

Pretty much my thoughts, just put it to something secure that only you would know, like the last four digits of your SSN or a membership card or something no one has no need to memorize?

Yeah, like identity theft hasn't happened already... Lol

No 4 digit pin is 100% secure. Someone will guess it especially with unlimited tries.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheTruth5442

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, like identity theft hasn't happened already... Lol
That was an example to be taken lightly. If you have a gift card you hold onto, use that. And it doesn't have to be four digits, you could use a lot more than that (watched a video of someone setting it up and it says: "PIN must be at least 4 digits", hence you could make it significantly more.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
That was an example to be taken lightly. If you have a gift card you hold onto, use that. And it doesn't have to be four digits, you could use a lot more than that (watched a video of someone setting it up and it says: "PIN must be at least 4 digits", hence you could make it significantly more.

A pin is a combination of numbers right, so that probability of this actually happening is very low indeed.

Not saying impossible but to a theif how many attempts before they give up?

Are they going to go the distance that could take a very long time and especially if set above the 4 digit well you can answer that one.

DudeThatsErin

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
A pin is a combination of numbers right, so that probability of this actually happening is very low indeed.

Not saying impossible but to a theif how many attempts before they give up?

Are they going to go the distance that could take a very long time and especially if set above the 4 digit well you can answer that one.

They could create a script that tries a million possibilities at once when they connect the phone to the computer.
The average joe wouldn't but it is possible.

No one will be with my phone long enough to crack anything.

Sent from Frope's sweet G3.
You can't control it when they steal it...

If I stole a phone I would boot into recovery and factory reset that first thing.
You'd need to get into the phone first. You can't boot into recovery on a G3... or at least I don't know how. Tried the power volume down thing (or up) and it didn't work.

Fried Rice Mofo

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
And this is why you use Cerberus.

Enter the pin in wrong 3 times and it automatically takes a front-facing picture, and sends the location of the phone to my email.

So on the EXTREMELY unlikely chance I don't have my phone on me and nabs my phone, good luck.

arisenfury

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
DudeThatsErin;3793155 said:
You'd need to get into the phone first. You can't boot into recovery on a G3... or at least I don't know how. Tried the power volume down thing (or up) and it didn't work.

Volume down and power for ~5 seconds.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
No 4 digit pin is 100% secure. Someone will guess it especially with unlimited tries.

Nothing is 100 % secure. You should take precautions such as using Android Device Manager... That way before they can try unlimited attempts you can change the password to a word via the Web by logging into your Google account.. Or simply wipe the phone.

As my old college professor asked one to stump us (he knew we'd over think it).... What is the most secure computer in the world? You could imagine what we all thought of... But he said..

Answer : one that is shut off, unplugged (power and ethernet), and locked away in a safe.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
8 digit pins are where it's at...

That would drive me crazy... Well... Any password drives me crazy. I like instant access to my phone :D. My phone is always glued to me so I am not too worried.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Heh heh. Welcome to AC and the G3 forum. ☺

(Quiet aside to all other members): Anyone missing their G3 four days ago?😨

Status
Not open for further replies.