Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Does the Verizon G3 have a root counter or any way to trace root after an unroot

I am thinking of rooting My G3 but i just want to make sure that if i unroot and want to get a replacement device from verizon that they would have no way of knowing the device was rooted.

Global Posts
    286 Global Posts

Default Re: Does the Verizon G3 have a root counter or any way to trace root after an unroot

I do not have one (not verizon) but if you google g3 root you will find some discussion about how to do it and potential issues.

Here is one thread: [ROOT][IOroot] LG G3 4.4.2 Jailbreak [D850|D… | Verizon LG G3 | XDA Forum

Default Re: Does the Verizon G3 have a root counter or any way to trace root after an unroot

Quote Originally Posted by aviman1231 View Post
    I am thinking of rooting My G3 but i just want to make sure that if i unroot and want to get a replacement device from verizon that they would have no way of knowing the device was rooted.
    The store won't know. They'll just take it back. When it goes to the warehouse, they don't check for that stuff. They'll replace what they have to do, reflash it with software and put it back into a refurbished box. When I rooted my phones and issues with the phone came up (not related to the root), they sent me refurbished phones.

If its hardware issue, they'll just swap it out and trash the old one. They don't have time to check each and every phone. They want to streamline it and just replace what needs to be replaced and have it ready when needed.

Global Posts
    5,221 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

Based on a quick Google search I found this Reddit thread Verizon G3 Root/Mod path for others to follow! : LGG3 which does state there is a root counter but if you are doing a warranty claim it should NOT void the warranty but each store has people who are shall we say tools. My suggestion is if you ever need a warranty claim do it on the phone and make sure you do a clean restore back to unrooted status. It really depends on the person checking the phone.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Ive heard so many different things and you would think this would be a pretty big deal. If anyone knows a definite yes or no to my question if you could please write it here for me and others. I still very much appreciate all the responses. There have been few threads on this issue and all are inconclusive. Someone in a thread i posted on reddit told me not to use my verizon, does anyone know anything about this?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by dcemureviews View Post
    The store won't know. They'll just take it back. When it goes to the warehouse, they don't check for that stuff. They'll replace what they have to do, reflash it with software and put it back into a refurbished box. When I rooted my phones and issues with the phone came up (not related to the root), they sent me refurbished phones.

If its hardware issue, they'll just swap it out and trash the old one. They don't have time to check each and every phone. They want to streamline it and just replace what needs to be replaced and have it ready when needed.
    Did you replace a G3 or another phone? Was it with verizon? If the answer is yes to both of the questions, did you just flash stock and call them over the phone and ask for a replacement device?

Thanks

Did you replace a G3 or another phone? Was it with verizon? If the answer is yes to both of the questions, did you just flash stock and call them over the phone and ask for a replacement device?

Thanks
    I've replaced phones. I unrooted back to stock and left it as is. I'm on Verizon. Yes, I called over the phone and when I got the replacement, I just sent back my old one.

I haven't replaced the G3 yet. If I did have to, I would just unroot it and ship it back.

I only rooted for WiFi tether hotspot since foxfi doesn't work on the phone
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by dcemureviews View Post
    I've replaced phones. I unrooted back to stock and left it as is. I'm on Verizon. Yes, I called over the phone and when I got the replacement, I just sent back my old one.

I haven't replaced the G3 yet. If I did have to, I would just unroot it and ship it back.

I only rooted for WiFi tether hotspot since foxfi doesn't work on the phone
    lol, thats really one of the few things i want from the root since i honestly find the G3 UI not to be so horrendous as on most phones these days. Also the bloatware... but really the main reason is for the hotspot since i have unlimited. Ok, i think i will root. If you dont mind me asking, did you use IOroot or purpledrake.

Thanks

lol, thats really one of the few things i want from the root since i honestly find the G3 UI not to be so horrendous as on most phones these days. Also the bloatware... but really the main reason is for the hotspot since i have unlimited. Ok, i think i will root. If you dont mind me asking, did you use IOroot or purpledrake.

Thanks
    I used ioroot. I'm coming for a S3 so I didn't root that since FoxFi worked. I haven't rooted a phone since HTC Thunderbolt. But the ioroot was easy. I'm not all into the custom ROM and themes or what not. I'm fine with the UI's.