My G3 Review Pros / Cons

FaTROBoT97

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Just thought I'd post this to kind of help some peeps out with making a buying decision from someone that owns a Note 3 / Galaxy S5 / and a G3.

PRO
Camera. Takes really nice pictures quickly. Played with some of the settings and its just a really quick. GS5 had this habit of not taking the picture cause it was stuck trying to focus the image.
Interace. Very clean. I like how my bluetooth shows the battery of my Plantronic headset in the notification bar. It does not do that w/ my S5 or Note 3. Little touches here and there.
Sharp. Everything seems really sharp. (Maybe too sharp at times) Things pop and colors look great.
Earpiece. Haven't had a problem hearing people and they can hear me fine.
Speaker. One complaint I had w/ the GS5 was when you put it down it muffled the speaker. Not the same with the G3. Sounds good.

CON
Black Levels - Watched Avengers on a Note 3 and on the G3 at the same time. Amoled display vs. SUPER LCD is quite drastic. The 800:1 contrast ratio of the G3 is its weakest fault. If your a videophile, this might be a deal breaker.
Battery - With just standard use from 9am off the charger to 7pm when I get home from work. I'm usually around 60%. If I play any type of game.. Example is Minecraft. The phone gets hot on the top and the battery almost visibly ticks away.
Apps - Some apps aren't updated to use the full screen of the device. It will show the softkeys to take up the space. Not a deal breaker, just kind of annoying when everything looks so clean then your reminded that oh, its a Qhd display and some apps aren't optimized for this phone. If at all.
Wireless Charging - I'm spoiled by Wireless Charging. On my NOTE 3 I bought the Samsung Wireless Charging Back replacement. I loved just sitting my phone down on the plate on my desk. It made my lazy. I love tech that makes me lazy :D

If someone asked me which phone I would buy between the GS5 / HTC M8 / G3 --- It would depend on what you place more emphasis on. I like my G3 more everyday - But I had a couple days where I didn't think I could adjust from the AMOLED of my NOTE 3. With almost a week with the phone, Its growing on me more. Just keep a battery pack handy if your a 3D gamer.

FaTROBoT97

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Its just a con cause I wish they would just include it in the back plate. I know it'd a way for LG to sell more accessories... Same for Samsung... Just wish it was included. Its a small con. Just my opinion.

Posted via Android Central App

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't get why you listed wireless charging as a con???

While he clearly didn't go into enough detail, I know why that he lists wireless charging is a con with the G3....

Unlike in Europe, US carriers didn't used to have universal phones in the past. They mostly had phones made for them. So a Motorola phone on Verizon may have many of the same internals, and maybe even the same screen as an AT&T branded Motorola. But the look and shape may be quite different. They also were marketed under different names.

Yet in the last 2 years or so, OEMs started to come out with "one phone for all US carriers". A good example is the HTC One m7.
So in order to generate a difference between carriers, many carriers started to differentiate themselves by adding tons of extra bloatware and even going so far as disabling features or changing them. US carriers also slightly change the ui on US phones, in many cases making it simpler. But as a phone geek like myself, you can see that as more and more US consumers start upgrading thier phones, more complaints are going to happen due to such adjustments as compared to a stock or unlocked European model.

Just months ago when the HTC One m8 was new, Verizon customers found out with great horror that Verizon not only disabled the FM radio, but also disabled the HTC browser (an extremely under rated feature). Yet on the same phone that is on AT&T, the FM radio and the HTC browser was not removed. But AT&T did disable a few freebies, such as the free $50 worth of redbox, and free Polaris office.

Now in the case with the G3, AT&T disabled the FM radio, and instead of using the qi standard of wireless charging, it went with powermat. Powermat is cool, but if you had a cellphone like a Nexus or Galaxy in the past and used wireless charging, buying a G3 from AT&T means that all of your wireless chargers that you paid good money for is now worthless. Thus the "con" rating.

While typical consumers in the US might never know that thier phone is nerfed in some ways, you are going to start seeing more and more of us phone geeks buying only unlocked phones sold directly from the manufacturer instead of buying from our carriers as a result of such greediness and total lack of respect for thier customers.

I know that while I'm in a small group of like minded people, until LG starts selling unlocked phones like Samsung, HTC, and Motorola, I'm not going to get the G3 or any other phone made from them.
OEMs need to learn that thier profits here in the US is at stake if they allow the carriers to alter their phones in any way and then refuse to sell unlocked.

Posted via Android Central App using the all new HTC One (m8)

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Its just a con cause I wish they would just include it in the back plate. I know it'd a way for LG to sell more accessories... Same for Samsung... Just wish it was included. Its a small con. Just my opinion.

My mistake. I thought you cared that it is not qi charging like the rest of the G3 lineup (and like your S5 and note3). But yeah, it does stink that you have to buy a charging back on all US models, but in your case, you'll also have to buy new chargers too.

Posted via Android Central App using the all new HTC One (m8)

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I have the tmobile.us version and mines has working wireless charging out the box

Is T-Mobile one of the better US carriers? It exists in UK and is the one I would have chosen if I hadn't gone with Three. From what I've read in these forums, some of the US carriers seem to be absolute a-holes in the way they treat the customers who actually provide them with their living.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
...Correction, they seem to be like that in some of the things they do.