G3 shattered from 10cm drop??

Kinguin

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
I've been extremely careful with my G3 so far, even though I haven't used any screen protector or case I've kept it completely scratch-free on both sides. Also I have never dropped my unit, ever. The other day i was clumsy enough to drop my unit for the first time... I dropped it out of my bag from 10cm height on wooden floor, it landed face down and I expected it to be completely fine when i picked it up, but it was not... not at all...

10517591_762312110457648_1059850606073335951_n.jpg

I have never seen a touchscreen break this way or heard about a phone break from such a minimal impact.

I've been in contact with LG, insisting that this should be covered by the warranty, since the screen broke extremely easily (I would consider a 10cm drop "normal use", any phone should endure that!) and the phone doesn't have a single scratch other than a completely scattered touch-glass. (Display is completely fine)

They told me that i should send my unit in for repair as a warranty claim so that they could examine the glass for pre-delivery weaknesses. That way they would determinate if I will get my G3 repaired under warranty or if I have to pay for the repair myself..

I will soon get the email confirming it will be covered by the warranty (hopefully!). If not, I guess LG admits their newest flagship is so fragile you shouldn't even consider taking it anywhere you would need a phone..

Anyone else dropped/broke their G3 or have any though/opinions regarding the G3s durability?

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
It all depends how it falls. I have dropped my device from higher than that at it was fine it fell off my fridge and onto the floor. Just a scratch. With every phone these threads pop up saying it's faulty. It really just depends on blind luck and how the device hits when it lands. These devices are not indestructible.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
It all depends how it falls. I have dropped my device from higher than that at it was fine it fell off my fridge and onto the floor. Just a scratch. With every phone these threads pop up saying it's faulty. It really just depends on blind luck and how the device hits when it lands. These devices are not indestructible.

Some are slightly more durable than others but fragile is applicable to all.

At 10cm though even on face of the phone one would expect it to withstand that.

Hope you get your replacement :)

Posted via Android Central App

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Not necessarily. It all depends on the point of impact. I've dropped things from a short height and have them break. And dropped things high up and there fine. It really all depends.

Kinguin

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
You might be right, I could have been insanely unlucky. Still.. consider that i have never dropped my phone and the first 10cm dropp on wood completely shatters the display from edge to edge in every single corner and around the speaker. The guy i talked with when i delivered it for service was really surprised and said he had never seen anything like it...

Btw i don't think it landed completely face down, more on the side or one of the edges. The thin bezels probably help to increase the impact on the glass, hooray!

jreed2560

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I've dropped my phone down the stairs and it was fine. I've dropped it from about knee high and shattered the screen. areyes163 is exactly right. Its just dumb luck

Sent from my VS985 4G using AC Forums mobile app

gummyjelly

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
My LG g2 fell many times with a case on and never even a scratch. One day I didn't have a case on it (Phone wouldn't charge with case on and I was too lazy to put it back on), and just my luck phone fell from 2 feet straight on it's face and shattered. The screen would no longer respond to touch. The case I have on my g3 does allow the phone to charge so that's a good thing 😃

Sent from my LG-D851 using AC Forums mobile app

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
That's SWEET! The last time I did that was with a Samsung Galaxy 3. It fell off the bumper of a pickup and shattered. I've got a tech21 case and tempered glass screen protector on my G3 so that this will not happen to me.

legalkill

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
My wife dropped her Bionic from a 4 story Mezzanine at the Chattanooga Aquarium almost hitting someone below to a carpeted floor, barely a scratch. My son dropped his Bionic off a little locker about 3 feet high to the wood floor and crack. Depends on how it lands and where force of impact hits for any device.

yeah yeah

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm all about tempered screen protectors. Not to sound like an ******* or anything, cause I do feel for you...but good job. If you're going to break something, might as well do it right. So the LG part is glass too?

AstroStrat89

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Wow. I've cracked a few screens in my time and never saw such an even pattern across the whole screen. It was always very localized to where the impact was. You never know what they will do for you but to me that seems like the glass was under some stress or something to crack like that.

yeah yeah

May 7, 2011
Visit site
AstroStrat89 makes a good point. For it to shatter like that, may have been under stress. Hit up youtube and watch those drop tests. If some shatter like that, might be due to the thin bezel.

LauraWA

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Tempered glass screen protector saved my daughter's iPhone. The screen protector shattered, and she thought it was the screen itself. Took it off and the actual screen was perfect, not a crack or scratch in sight. And those screens crack at even the lightest impact. I will never go without one again.

Kinguin

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
The breaking pattern really surprised me too, never seen this before.. What kind of stress do you mean, like thermal stress?

I was definitely going to get at least a slim case from Spigen and a tempered glass protector, they just didn't have it in stock in my country yet...

the_newnormal

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
Can't speak for Astro, but I was thinking some compression from the outside in might conducive to a shatter like that. ie the bezels pushing in

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Any drop is not considered a warranty issue. You're lucky they even consider it. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith