Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Does the LG G3 stock SMS app suck?

Does it?

Sent from my 20266 using Tapatalk

Default re: Does the LG G3 stock SMS app suck?

Works ok without really any bells and whistles on AT&T.

When I had my G2 the stock app sucked because it didnt support group messaging so I went with Textra. G3 app works ok. I still like Textra but I read review that font looks a little off because of the LG screen resolution. I'll wait for an update and think about trying it again.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    ROM
    STOCK

I think it is a pretty good sms app, I was song hangouts but changed to the stock sms for at least the customization.

Posted via Android Central App
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pseudoware View Post
    Does it?

Sent from my 20266 using Tapatalk
    Yes it isn't worth it. Use hangouts

No, it doesn't suck. It is quite adequate, even if there are other programs available which do have more features.

My Verizon LG G3 came with two SMS apps built in. The second one from Verizon is a little better than the stock one. I next tried Chomp which I initially liked even better but it is not correctly indicating whether text messages were received. Tech support from them says they will look into it. I am currently using Handcent. It also has advantages over the stock program, but if I had to I could live with either of the two apps the phone came with.

I have now been able to eliminate the program I used on my previous phone to add customization of ringtone and light colors for recipients. One feature I wasn't previously aware was available but now like is putting a couple second delay on sending for those times when I hit send by accident before a text is finished.

The stock app is OK but just tried Textra and love it!
    Don't forge to vote! Your vote counts!
    Support thr 9-12 Project
    bembol likes this.

Stock SMS app (on Sprint) works as intended. For me, no need to DL a new as the stock one works just fine.
    Note 4/ Note 3 / Note 2 / hTc One E8 / Moto X / hTc ONE / LG G3 / iTerd 5s / iTerd 6

Never really gave the stock SMS app a shot. I'm using Handcent, now. I definitely need the ability to have an SMS popup so I can respond to texts without leaving the app I'm currently in. Not sure if that feature is offered by the stock app.

Textra is better than any stock SMS app that I know of.
    Thanked by:
    bembol and ScottsoNJ like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JaiMento View Post
    Never really gave the stock SMS app a shot. I'm using Handcent, now. I definitely need the ability to have an SMS popup so I can respond to texts without leaving the app I'm currently in. Not sure if that feature is offered by the stock app.
    Yes it is. It's in the settings menu under notification pop-up.
    Note 4/ Note 3 / Note 2 / hTc One E8 / Moto X / hTc ONE / LG G3 / iTerd 5s / iTerd 6

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    ROM
    2.2.1 paragonRC6.0

What's with the locks on some msgs on stock app

Quote Originally Posted by Gator352 View Post
    Yes it is. It's in the settings menu under notification pop-up.
    Does the popup allow you to scroll through all of your unread texts? Say I get 3-4 texts back to back before I can pull my phone out of my holster and look. When I unlock the screen, will I see just the last text? Or will I see the last text with the option to scroll side to side to view all new texts?

I think it sucks. It takes up too much screen space for one message. I like hangout better. If the stock messing allow for different style or theme then I would be using it.
    VZW LG G3/Motorola Xoom

Does it suck, well that's subjective as you've seen in your replies. Will it send and receive SMS and MMS, yes. Will it be an amazing experience, probably not. I'm sure you will find something more fun in a 3rd party app.
    Sent from my HTCOX Fōn.

Stock app is okay nothing special to me. I tried it for half a day when I got my phone then I downloaded EvolveSMS which is my sms app of choice. I love the ability to totally customize Evolve with different themes and various settings. If you want to give it a try, it's free to download and use but it has in app purchases to really unlock all features and add features. Well worth the couple dollars to me to have a great app that I use a lot everyday. I think Evolve was the first 3rd party sms/mms app to support Android wear which I use with my G Watch.
    Last edited by RSindian; 08-03-2014 at 05:15 PM.

I use textra now, but used to be a big stock user on my razr maxx. Textra has a great and quick emoji inventory that works well with my wife's Apple phone.

Stock messaging application is awesome! Only down side I dislike is the main page screen is ugly yellow color. Other than that... Group message works perfectly fine, pop up messages works well (don't have to leave current application to use it) and you could swipe left/right viewing the multiple messages.

I hope later updates allows us to customize it more like changing the ugly yellow color.
    SIcKLIVe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JaiMento View Post
    Does the popup allow you to scroll through all of your unread texts? Say I get 3-4 texts back to back before I can pull my phone out of my holster and look. When I unlock the screen, will I see just the last text? Or will I see the last text with the option to scroll side to side to view all new texts?
    Only shows the last text received and gives you a text box to reply.

Nothing wrong with any stock messaging app. Ever since I tried Textra, it's all I use!

I love the simplicity of it.
    "I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie (THE NEWSROOM, HBO)

Quote Originally Posted by bjballar41 View Post
    What's with the locks on some msgs on stock app

I would also like to know what the blue lock on msgs on stock app mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Gator352 View Post
    Only shows the last text received and gives you a text box to reply.
    Not just the last text. It'll show all the texts received. Just swipe the box left/right that popped up to view the messages.
    Gator352 likes this.

I use Go SMS Pro.

Mav.

Sent from Area 51 on my Sprint LG G3.

I am polymerized tree sap and you are an inorganic adhesive, so whatever verbal projectile you launch in my direction is reflected off me, returns on its original trajectory and adheres to you.

Quote Originally Posted by dynamike72 View Post
    I would also like to know what the blue lock on msgs on stock app mean.
    Blue lock? or blue chain? Haven't seen a blue lock, but if you mean a blue chain (chain link), that means the text contains information that might be related to other apps. For instance, if someone texts you "Are we going out today?", clicking on the blue link will open a box of suggested apps to apply the content to, like the calendar app, to, possibly add an appointment to your calendar.
    Thanked by 2:

I use my G3 with an LG G Watch. If you use an Android Wear Watch, you really need to use Hangouts to fully utilize the Android Wear functionality for SMS.

With Hangouts I can verbally reply to a text to the watch. My favorite feature of an Android Wear Watch!

Default Re: Does the LG G3 stock SMS app suck?

Quote Originally Posted by HULKchampion View Post
    Not just the last text. It'll show all the texts received. Just swipe the box left/right that popped up to view the messages.
    I'll give that a whirl!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast