Does the LG G3 stock SMS app suck?

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Works ok without really any bells and whistles on AT&T.

When I had my G2 the stock app sucked because it didnt support group messaging so I went with Textra. G3 app works ok. I still like Textra but I read review that font looks a little off because of the LG screen resolution. I'll wait for an update and think about trying it again.

fgcchevy

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
I think it is a pretty good sms app, I was song hangouts but changed to the stock sms for at least the customization.

Posted via Android Central App

rchusid

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
No, it doesn't suck. It is quite adequate, even if there are other programs available which do have more features.

My Verizon LG G3 came with two SMS apps built in. The second one from Verizon is a little better than the stock one. I next tried Chomp which I initially liked even better but it is not correctly indicating whether text messages were received. Tech support from them says they will look into it. I am currently using Handcent. It also has advantages over the stock program, but if I had to I could live with either of the two apps the phone came with.

I have now been able to eliminate the program I used on my previous phone to add customization of ringtone and light colors for recipients. One feature I wasn't previously aware was available but now like is putting a couple second delay on sending for those times when I hit send by accident before a text is finished.

JaiMento

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Never really gave the stock SMS app a shot. I'm using Handcent, now. I definitely need the ability to have an SMS popup so I can respond to texts without leaving the app I'm currently in. Not sure if that feature is offered by the stock app.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Never really gave the stock SMS app a shot. I'm using Handcent, now. I definitely need the ability to have an SMS popup so I can respond to texts without leaving the app I'm currently in. Not sure if that feature is offered by the stock app.

Yes it is. It's in the settings menu under notification pop-up.

JaiMento

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Yes it is. It's in the settings menu under notification pop-up.

Does the popup allow you to scroll through all of your unread texts? Say I get 3-4 texts back to back before I can pull my phone out of my holster and look. When I unlock the screen, will I see just the last text? Or will I see the last text with the option to scroll side to side to view all new texts?

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I think it sucks. It takes up too much screen space for one message. I like hangout better. If the stock messing allow for different style or theme then I would be using it.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Does it suck, well that's subjective as you've seen in your replies. Will it send and receive SMS and MMS, yes. Will it be an amazing experience, probably not. I'm sure you will find something more fun in a 3rd party app.

RSindian

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Stock app is okay nothing special to me. I tried it for half a day when I got my phone then I downloaded EvolveSMS which is my sms app of choice. I love the ability to totally customize Evolve with different themes and various settings. If you want to give it a try, it's free to download and use but it has in app purchases to really unlock all features and add features. Well worth the couple dollars to me to have a great app that I use a lot everyday. I think Evolve was the first 3rd party sms/mms app to support Android wear which I use with my G Watch.

Last edited:

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I use textra now, but used to be a big stock user on my razr maxx. Textra has a great and quick emoji inventory that works well with my wife's Apple phone.

HULKchampion

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Stock messaging application is awesome! Only down side I dislike is the main page screen is ugly yellow color. Other than that... Group message works perfectly fine, pop up messages works well (don't have to leave current application to use it) and you could swipe left/right viewing the multiple messages.

I hope later updates allows us to customize it more like changing the ugly yellow color.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Does the popup allow you to scroll through all of your unread texts? Say I get 3-4 texts back to back before I can pull my phone out of my holster and look. When I unlock the screen, will I see just the last text? Or will I see the last text with the option to scroll side to side to view all new texts?

Only shows the last text received and gives you a text box to reply.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Nothing wrong with any stock messaging app. Ever since I tried Textra, it's all I use!

I love the simplicity of it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LesleyWang