LG G3: Former Nexus 5 zealot's first impressions.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately I am going to be coming from an iPhone and its been a while since I have been on android. Recommend using it stock at first?

Stick with stock for a while... Learn the phone and its features before fussing with things. You might find that it does everything you need without doing anything crazy

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm doesn' slowlyc.f. coming gah... Ok... The LG keyboard isn't liking me. The features are great, but gesture typing just isn't there yet and I'm going back to Swype... Going to miss the number bar.

Ok now that I can type again...

The software is growing on me. When I first got it, I had a little nexus withdraw. But I've pared down the notification mess, so it's working for me now. A couple of days ago, I was sure that I wouldn't be happy until I could get a custom AOSP Rom built. But I'm changing my tune.

The back is still too slippery for my liking, so I might have to just get a case and deal with it.

clarker07

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
Just set up the Google Now Launcher and it is fantastic, for all the reasons mentioned above. The only downside I see is that the "knock-off" feature does not appear to work anymore. I may just be overlooking a setting that will bring it back. Overall, very happy with the change.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
Just set up the Google Now Launcher and it is fantastic, for all the reasons mentioned above. The only downside I see is that the "knock-off" feature does not appear to work anymore. I may just be overlooking a setting that will bring it back. Overall, very happy with the change.

Knock works with the Google now launcher.

Posted via Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Knock works with the Google now launcher.

How? Knock-off doesn't work out of the box, that's for sure (I can tap on the screen until the sun burns its fuel).

Knock ON works, but that is a kernel function, not a launcher function. To do Knock Off.... the launcher needs to have some kind of gesture based commands, which GNL doesn't include.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
(part 3)

Several days in and I'm starting to reap the benefits of a 50% larger battery and some other power improvements. Waze doesn't kill my battery as quickly as it did. And I woke up to find that the battery had drained 0% while I slept (I use Tasker profiles as a kind of home-grown battery optimization app). On my Nexus 5, I had a kernel that had the double-tap to wake (knock on), and that would cause a base drain of around 1 or 1.5% an hour.... LG has it built into there code AND utilizing the low power features (licensed from Qualcomm) of the SD801 chip , so Knock-on effectively uses nothing. Nice.... But while I haven't got real numbers, it's clear to me that, even with the massive screen, my battery life took a considerable leap.

That's pretty sweet.

And I finally got a chance to give the camera a work-out yesterday. Yep... the laser focus isn't a marketing ploy. This shooter focuses fast and accurate. On a couple of occasions, I heard my wife mutter a little bout focusing while taking pics with her Nexus while I just blasted away without care. Burst mode makes for excellent Auto-Awesome photo comps... :) It was overcast, so I didn't get a chance to see a bunch of full-sunlight pics, but overall, they were quite good. Video (shot at 1080) was about the same, pretty much, as the Nexus 5... the mic did a great job of picking things up.... audio was strong, maybe a little tinny, but definitely clear..... very good overall.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
AHh...yes... it does work! Makes sense... the status bar isn't controlled by the launcher.
Knock off works on the Navigation bar as well, if you're using G3TweaksBox. Personally, it's from there where I turn off my screen 90% of the time.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
(part 4)

LG did a good job with the software on the G3. I loved the clean load-out on my Nexus and I had played with the G2 a little bit a while back and was not a fan... But the difference between the G2 and G3 is striking. Where the G2 tried a little too hard to be like Touchwiz, the G3 had a sneakily light touch on Android, and it looks to have drawn some inspiration from the upcoming Material Design approach. After some relatively minor tweaks, including changing the laucher to GNL, you'd have a hard time telling the difference between my G3 and a Nexus 5 that had a CM11 theme loaded (there are several that are dead on ringers for this).

About lag.... I'm not really seeing it, or as bad as some make it out to be. It's not as smooth as a stock, unmodified Nexus 5.. but it's not that far off, and it has about as much jitter in spots as my Nexus 5 had when I dropped the dpi density to 400 and animations to .5x.... I have ZERO complaints about the video perfomance... Like I've mentioned before.. smoothness is more app-dependent than device dependent.

So, in conclusion.... Nexus owners need not worry about 'losing' Android if they go to a G3. The G3's software is pretty configurable and can be easily changed to look and feel a lot like a Nexus device. Outside of that, I've found that nearly everything on this phone is a step up... radios (including GPS), speaker (louder), camera, display. About the only thing lost is those speedy updates directly from Google and the custom ROMs...

About custom stuff... There really isn't any. And it remains to be seen how quickly we get any since the only variant out there that has an unlocked bootloader is from T-Mobile (D851).. Luckily, that's what I have.... LG has released the sources for both the system and the kernel though, so that's done at least.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
So, in conclusion.... Nexus owners need not worry about 'losing' Android if they go to a G3. The G3's software is pretty configurable and can be easily changed to look and feel a lot like a Nexus device.

Should Google make this year's Nexus phone based on the LG G3's hardware? From what you describe, the LG G3 sounds like a good foundation for the Nexus 6 (or whatever Google is going to call it).

However, I have a feeling that a Nexus phone would need to meet a cheaper off-contract price point, which probably means that LG would have to take out features to lower the price.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't think that moto phone is a 5 replacement... I think its more a phablet replacement for the 7. I have a feeling we'll see a new 5' phone in 2015.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz