Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Default Re: Stock or different launcher, root or not

I came from several years of Nexus devices only....was a little dissatisfied with the G3 but it has a lot of potential. Root+Xposed+G3 tweakbox and titanium to freeze some useless apps and its running beautifully. I also get a camera that puts the Nexus 5 to shame which is a big plus for me. This is coming from someone who hasn't rooted android anything since my Galaxy S2 Skyrocket.

I would love a AOSP Rom like CM or PA BUT I am guessing that would break a lot of camera functionality.
    Thanked by:
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ffejjj View Post
    Sure you can do it that way too.

I use home switcher because...

Let's say Adw.ex launcher is my daily driver but I want to try something new like Apex. I put home switcher on both home screens during setup. Only to quickly flip flop back and forth

Posted via Android Central App
    You understand that it's right under the home screen in the settings menu, right? Why would you add an extra app for that? I could see if you changed launchers many times a day but....

Yes I understand very well and I still like home switcher.

To each their own is the moral of this story

Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    LG G3
    Ambassador
    Thanked by:

For me the most compelling reason to use Nova Launcher over the stock LG launcher is so I can change the look of the icons.

The least attractive part of Android to me is the stock icons and how they're all shaped differently. Some are circles, some are squares, some are cut-outs of odd shapes (phone, Dropbox, etc.).

Nova (and other third-party launchers) let you use cool themed icons. Really classes up the phone look, to me.

For example, right now I'm using Cryten.

No root.

Quote Originally Posted by commasplice View Post
    For me the most compelling reason to use Nova Launcher over the stock LG launcher is so I can change the look of the icons.

The least attractive part of Android to me is the stock icons and how they're all shaped differently. Some are circles, some are squares, some are cut-outs of odd shapes (phone, Dropbox, etc.).

Nova (and other third-party launchers) let you use cool themed icons. Really classes up the phone look, to me.

The stock launcher allows for this.
    Thanked by:

Been switching between stock(really good), GEL(need I say more?) and the Nokia X Launcher (super clean) surprisingly leaning towards X

I used to root but since nova launcher I really haven't had the need to. With Nova I can basically have a customizable stock android. Experience which for me is perfect

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by commasplice View Post

If you hold down the icon like your moving it but don't actually move it, a little edit symbol appears to the top right of the app and it allows you to change icons.

Sent from my VZW LG G3 (tapatalk)
    VZW LG G3/Motorola Xoom

Quote Originally Posted by RHChan84 View Post
    If you hold down the icon like your moving it but don't actually move it, a little edit symbol appears to the top right of the app and it allows you to change icons.

Does anyone know if our purchased icon packs like stark etc will work in the stock launcher

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

It's specifically made for Launchers like Nova. So, no.

Pro S5
    "I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie (THE NEWSROOM, HBO)

Unless there's a way to export them to a jpg or similar file, I haven't find a way

VZW LG G3/Motorola Xoom

Thanks! Didn't know that. But is there a way to change them all at once to match a downloaded theme, like you can in Nova?

Quote Originally Posted by RHChan84 View Post
    Unless there's a way to export them to a jpg or similar file, I haven't find a way

An apk is basically just a zip file. Download the icon pack, rename or open with zip app, and put the icons in a folder to use with stock launcher.

The ONLY reason that I rooted my Galaxy S4 GPE was to have the ability to write to the SD Card. Now that I have the One Plus One and it's 64GB of internal storage, I don't need to write to an SD card......and the OPO doesn't have an SD slot, lol.

I immediately rooted and added Nova launcher (although this was partially because it was easier to copy my old configuration than to set up a new phone launcher from scratch). You can easily switch back and forth between launchers so it is easy to check out both to see which you prefer as Nova does allow for a lot of useful customizations which I'm sure they list on their page so I won't bother to list them all here.

Only root if you have reason to as others have said but I note that very little specific was said about benefits of rooting. Here are some of the benefits--

It is easy to back up data as well as apps, along with transferring data (including app configuration) from one phone (or tablet) to another

Blocking ads

Custom roms--not available yet for this phone. The older a phone becomes the more important this becomes, especially if you keep a phone beyond the point where they are releasing updated. Thanks to this, I ran Kit Kat on my old Galaxy Nexus until I bought the LG G3.

While custom roms aren't available yet, there are plenty of applications available which make it easy to change how the phone works. So far I've done things such as enable writing to the SD card beyond what Kit Kat allows, turn on the bright light by long pressing on the back button, enable using additional programs in the split screen, disable the battery full indicator, enable recording of phone calls, and make some changes to the built-in theme. Note that I know nothing about programming these phones. This is all done with apps which are downloaded and easy to run on rooted phones.

Note that if you allow the phone to install an update, the current way to root will no longer work. I would bet that in the future this will change.
    Thanked by:

There is an app called icon changer free you can change any single icon using any theme. Also let's you choose icons for web links or bookmarks works well

Global Posts
    857 Global Posts

I've yet to root, but just put Nova Launcher on today. I'm monitoring closely whether responsiveness takes a hit.

The only real reason for me to root has been to gain tethering functionality. If there's a way to do this without rooting with Sprint, I'm all for it, but so far haven't had such luck. I could care less about fonts and icons as long as they are readable. That's just my own perspective of course, as you see many people are very particular about how their phone looks. For me it's all about how quickly I can get to the app I need. So widgets like Circle Launcher, Swaps, WaveLauncher and others have all been a part of that effort, in addition to a custom lock screen (Widget Locker, which is made by the same company as Nova). Optimally I'm spending veruy little time looking at my Android screens and 99% looking at an app screen. Except in the case of a widget, and that's where Widget Locker comes in for me moreso than screens that I have to swipe around or even the stock lockscreen that only allows one widget per "screen"...
    xocomaox likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon View Post
    Optimally I'm spending very little time looking at my Android screens and 99% looking at an app screen.
    This makes sense on the surface, but seeing things isn't always about the percentage of time you are looking at it. I want my lock-screen and home screen to look good because I see it ALL THE TIME, even if for only a second or two. Since I see it before launching things or going into app folders or swiping over to my to-do list, etc, I need it to look good.

I would say experiment with the phone, find what you enjoy with or without, and become one of the greeny robots!

Two top reasons I rooted was to gain full access to the SD card and to clean up the status bar. Those 2 were actually reason enough, for me.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12