LG G3 Runtime Dalvik or ART?

ericlc2

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Does it really make a difference for a non developer? I just want the best batter & performance possible, what's better about choosing either of these?

Posted via Android Central App

ngerber999

May 9, 2014
Visit site
ART is supposed to provide both better battery life and performance. Unfortunately it is still in beta and can cause instability. I tried it out on my Verizon G3 and had to switch back to Dalvik after it locked up to the point that I had to pull the battery. It was after the third battery pull that I switched back. Hopefully with Android L this will be stable.

Sent from my LG G3 smartphone.

Blazer

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
My G3 also locked up a few times so I just switched back to Dalvik. Not positive ART was the problem because ART ran fine with no problem for about 10 days before the lockups... we'll see.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
YMMV. I was lucky that ART on my S5 (Bell SM-G900W8) ran smooth, no problems except for stock apps like Polaris Office 5 not working. Not that I had Battery/Performance issues, I just switched out of curiosity and besides you won't really notice the difference anyway.

I'll stick with DALVIK on my G3.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Personal experience is I enabled ART on my N4 and still running with no issues.

So first thing I did when I got my G3 was do factory reset out of box and set up phone, disable the AT&T bloat and enable ART. Phones been running without issue since. Lucky no battery pull/freezing issues or anything.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I noticed a nice improvement in battery life while on Art but I was freezing up on occasion so I'm back on dalvic

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
On the Nexus 5 there was improvement but I read that the LG G3 has problems.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Not all seem to be encountering issues with Art. The only issue I have is that my G3 is rooted and I'm running Xposed, and that is not compatible hence why I'm using dalvic.

But before I rooted it seemed to run on Art OK without any problems.

anon(5373819)

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Not all seem to be encountering issues with Art. The only issue I have is that my G3 is rooted and I'm running Xposed, and that is not compatible hence why I'm using dalvic.

But before I rooted it seemed to run on Art OK without any problems.

Yeah my nexus 5 was unrooted on Art when I had it. I don't like rooting anymore so I try not to. If it runs fine unrooted then I am completely fine running art on my stock LG G3

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Yeah my nexus 5 was unrooted on Art when I had it. I don't like rooting anymore so I try not to. If it runs fine unrooted then I am completely fine running art on my stock LG G3

Yeh rooting is becoming less of a must do, now with OEM's offering great customisation and launchers ect ect. But such as habits are hard to break I went ahead and rooted my G3.

Try switching to Art and see how it fairs, you can always switch back if it's causing problems.

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I see very little reason to root right now. Tried both Dalvik and ART and saw no difference whatsoever, so I'm sticking with what it shipped with: Dalvik.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I agree. Dalvik is working fine with our phones. Why bother using ART knowing it's still in Beta phase and complain/deal with the issues it has?

The one nice thing about Art for me was battery life. Noticeable difference.

Just not worth it yet though

Last edited:

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Battery does improve even if it's just a little. Again depending on make & model. YMMV.

No complaints on my S5, nothing major and I just really wanted to try it so I'm not going to bother with it on my G3.

Pro S5

frope01

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I had my phone for about a week before I switched to ART. Honestly I haven't noticed any difference positively or negatively so I'll just leave it on ART. I read a lot of Verizon G3 phones run poorly on ART. I'm on AT&T.

Sent from Frope's sweet G3.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I am running on ART at this time.
The only problem I have is the casting the phone's screen using Chromecast. Everything else works great.
I will run on it for a few weeks to see how it does.

Of course, once Android L comes out, there will be ART for everyone.

Mav. :cool:

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I am running on ART at this time.
The only problem I have is the casting the phone's screen using Chromecast. Everything else works great.
I will run on it for a few weeks to see how it does.

Of course, once Android L comes out, there will be ART for everyone.

Mav. :cool:

Yea it snuck up on me. Art caused random freezes bit dalvic is solid

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci