Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default LG G3 Runtime Dalvik or ART?

Does it really make a difference for a non developer? I just want the best batter & performance possible, what's better about choosing either of these?

Posted via Android Central App

Default re: LG G3 Runtime Dalvik or ART?

ART is supposed to provide both better battery life and performance. Unfortunately it is still in beta and can cause instability. I tried it out on my Verizon G3 and had to switch back to Dalvik after it locked up to the point that I had to pull the battery. It was after the third battery pull that I switched back. Hopefully with Android L this will be stable.

Sent from my LG G3 smartphone.

I have tried both on AT&T and seen no real difference.

Current Devices:
    OnePlus One
    LG G3 - AT&T
    Motorola Moto X - unlocked GSM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8 - LTE AT&T
    Apple iPad Mini Retina - 32GB LTE

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts

My G3 also locked up a few times so I just switched back to Dalvik. Not positive ART was the problem because ART ran fine with no problem for about 10 days before the lockups... we'll see.

YMMV. I was lucky that ART on my S5 (Bell SM-G900W8) ran smooth, no problems except for stock apps like Polaris Office 5 not working. Not that I had Battery/Performance issues, I just switched out of curiosity and besides you won't really notice the difference anyway.

I'll stick with DALVIK on my G3.
    "I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie (THE NEWSROOM, HBO)

Personal experience is I enabled ART on my N4 and still running with no issues.

So first thing I did when I got my G3 was do factory reset out of box and set up phone, disable the AT&T bloat and enable ART. Phones been running without issue since. Lucky no battery pull/freezing issues or anything.

I noticed a nice improvement in battery life while on Art but I was freezing up on occasion so I'm back on dalvic

Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    LG G3
    Ambassador

On the Nexus 5 there was improvement but I read that the LG G3 has problems.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
    Your neighborhood tech enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by vahdyx View Post
    On the Nexus 5 there was improvement but I read that the LG G3 has problems.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
    Not all seem to be encountering issues with Art. The only issue I have is that my G3 is rooted and I'm running Xposed, and that is not compatible hence why I'm using dalvic.

But before I rooted it seemed to run on Art OK without any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan1982 View Post
    Not all seem to be encountering issues with Art. The only issue I have is that my G3 is rooted and I'm running Xposed, and that is not compatible hence why I'm using dalvic.

But before I rooted it seemed to run on Art OK without any problems.

Yeah my nexus 5 was unrooted on Art when I had it. I don't like rooting anymore so I try not to. If it runs fine unrooted then I am completely fine running art on my stock LG G3
    Your neighborhood tech enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by vahdyx View Post
    Yeah my nexus 5 was unrooted on Art when I had it. I don't like rooting anymore so I try not to. If it runs fine unrooted then I am completely fine running art on my stock LG G3
    Yeh rooting is becoming less of a must do, now with OEM's offering great customisation and launchers ect ect. But such as habits are hard to break I went ahead and rooted my G3.

Try switching to Art and see how it fairs, you can always switch back if it's causing problems.

I see very little reason to root right now. Tried both Dalvik and ART and saw no difference whatsoever, so I'm sticking with what it shipped with: Dalvik.

Gator352 likes this.

Dalvik is fine for use of the phone .

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
    Gator352 likes this.

Default Re: LG G3 Runtime Dalvik or ART?

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    Dalvik is fine for use of the phone .

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    I agree. Dalvik is working fine with our phones. Why bother using ART knowing it's still in Beta phase and complain/deal with the issues it has?
    I'm a nerd that can squat 500lbs... seriously

Quote Originally Posted by HULKchampion View Post
    I agree. Dalvik is working fine with our phones. Why bother using ART knowing it's still in Beta phase and complain/deal with the issues it has?
    The one nice thing about Art for me was battery life. Noticeable difference.

Just not worth it yet though

Last edited by ffejjj; 08-03-2014 at 02:54 PM.
    LG G3
    Ambassador
    Thanked by:
    bembol 

Battery does improve even if it's just a little. Again depending on make & model. YMMV.

No complaints on my S5, nothing major and I just really wanted to try it so I'm not going to bother with it on my G3.

Pro S5
    "I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie (THE NEWSROOM, HBO)

I had my phone for about a week before I switched to ART. Honestly I haven't noticed any difference positively or negatively so I'll just leave it on ART. I read a lot of Verizon G3 phones run poorly on ART. I'm on AT&T.

Sent from Frope's sweet G3.
    donm527#IM likes this.

I am running on ART at this time.
    The only problem I have is the casting the phone's screen using Chromecast. Everything else works great.
    I will run on it for a few weeks to see how it does.

Of course, once Android L comes out, there will be ART for everyone.

Mav.

I am polymerized tree sap and you are an inorganic adhesive, so whatever verbal projectile you launch in my direction is reflected off me, returns on its original trajectory and adheres to you.

Quote Originally Posted by VW Maverick View Post
    I am running on ART at this time.
    The only problem I have is the casting the phone's screen using Chromecast. Everything else works great.
    I will run on it for a few weeks to see how it does.

Of course, once Android L comes out, there will be ART for everyone.

Mav.
    Yea it snuck up on me. Art caused random freezes bit dalvic is solid

LG G3
    Ambassador

Tried ART on my Sprint G3. Noticed no perceivable difference....even with the battery....so back on Dalvik.
    Note 3 / Note 2 / S4 / Moto X / hTc ONE / LG G2
    PookiePrancer likes this.

Random freezes and battery pull issues most likely some 3rd party apps causing a conflict under ART. By the time L comes out those developers will have to resolve them. Fortunately the only conflict I have is with casting.

Quote Originally Posted by ffejjj View Post
    Yea it snuck up on me. Art caused random freezes bit dalvic is solid

Global Posts
    368 Global Posts

One of the first things I did was switch to ART when I got my G3. The main reason was for improved battery life. I haven't noticed any issues on my AT&T model after two weeks of using it

Sent from my LG-D850 using AC Forums mobile app

I have been using art on my sprint g3 and it seems to be running very well so far. Battery seems a little better nothing to brag about but seems a little better than it was on Dalvik. I also notice that it appears to be a touch more snappy going between apps and opening apps. But I will say that it seems to score very low on quadrant standard. Was scoring 23,586 on Dalvik and on art I score 13,500 don't know why that is if someone has a answer for that I would love to find out why.

When I had my Nexus 5 with T-Mobile, ART worked just fine, some rumors say that Android L will have ART as a default, just what I've read.. I'm still a little iffy as if I sbould use ART with my G3 With Verizon, maybe I should just wait till Android L

I was running ART (Sprint) for a few weeks, but I'm back to Dalvik after my phone starting freezing up.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast