Why I bought the G3

ngc457

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I am with Verizon and have a choice of the 4 flagships out now, the GS5, HTC M8, G3, and Sony Z2 (out in mid August.) The current crop of flagships is what I would call the rock, paper, scissors group. All phones have huge advantages over the competition and huge disadvantages. That made the choice hard for me.

I went with 2 year contract as Edge does not make financial since to me. That means choosing a phone That will last and I will be happy with for 2 years. Get the right phone and this is possible. I loved my S3 to the end. I use my phone heavily and do tons more then post on Facebook that I am at Tacobell.

I use my phone to interface with my telescope through bluetooth. The app I use is Skysafari Pro which has a large and necessary database. It is the only serious astronomy app for Android. It takes up 1.2 gigs of space. I also love to hike and be in nature. Good bird, tree, flower, bug ID apps take up 600 mg to 1gig of space. To be future proof I needed a phone with 32gigs of on phone storage. That eliminated the S5 and Sony. However, they were hard to eliminate as IP certification would be a benefit. 32 gigs of phone storage won out. Yes I know they have SD card slots, but that is for music and photo storage not apps. They do have a half baked install to SD feature which only puts 50megs of the 1.5 gig app on the SD. Most is still on the phone. Useless!

I wanted a removable battery. I travel and it is great to be able to pop in an extra battery. Plus we all know what happens to batteries after a year and a half. They degrade and will not hold the charge as they once did. Non-removable battery is a deal breaker. That makes the HTC M8, and Sony out.

G3 was the only phone with removable battery and 32 gigs of phone storage. It won by default. It is a great phone and I love it. Screen looks great. The resolution is great for reading physics books. The screen sizes makes Skysafari come alive. The display makes it real easy for me to navigate the Virgo Cluster. The screen size and the overall footprint is a great balance. The camera is great and yes I love the fact the UI is simple without bells and whistles. I missed shots on my S3 because I would digging for a setting.

I am very pleased I got the G3.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I am with Verizon and have a choice of the 4 flagships out now, the GS5, HTC M8, G3, and Sony Z2 (out in mid August.) The current crop of flagships is what I would call the rock, paper, scissors group. All phones have huge advantages over the competition and huge disadvantages. That made the choice hard for me.

I went with 2 year contract as Edge does not make financial since to me. That means choosing a phone That will last and I will be happy with for 2 years. Get the right phone and this is possible. I loved my S3 to the end. I use my phone heavily and do tons more then post on Facebook that I am at Tacobell.

I use my phone to interface with my telescope through bluetooth. The app I use is Skysafari Pro which has a large and necessary database. It is the only serious astronomy app for Android. It takes up 1.2 gigs of space. I also love to hike and be in nature. Good bird, tree, flower, bug ID apps take up 600 mg to 1gig of space. To be future proof I needed a phone with 32gigs of on phone storage. That eliminated the S5 and Sony. However, they were hard to eliminate as IP certification would be a benefit. 32 gigs of phone storage won out. Yes I know they have SD card slots, but that is for music and photo storage not apps. They do have a half baked install to SD feature which only puts 50megs of the 1.5 gig app on the SD. Most is still on the phone. Useless!

I wanted a removable battery. I travel and it is great to be able to pop in an extra battery. Plus we all know what happens to batteries after a year and a half. They degrade and will not hold the charge as they once did. Non-removable battery is a deal breaker. That makes the HTC M8, and Sony out.

G3 was the only phone with removable battery and 32 gigs of phone storage. It won by default. It is a great phone and I love it. Screen looks great. The resolution is great for reading physics books. The screen sizes makes Skysafari come alive. The display makes it real easy for me to navigate the Virgo Cluster. The screen size and the overall footprint is a great balance. The camera is great and yes I love the fact the UI is simple without bells and whistles. I missed shots on my S3 because I would digging for a setting.

Nice write up and glad your enjoying your G3 :)

Posted via Android Central App

droid747

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I bought mine by transfering my upgrade to my wifes line to maintain unlimited data. I did it because of the 50% off deal plus I wanted to get back under contract after it was announced they will be throttling unlimited data users starting in october so I wont get throttled. Tbe terms if the throttling mentioned one of the requirements for them to throttled an udp line was it was out of contract.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I bought my G3 because I have a problem. Hi, my name is Rafael... :( LOL

I only had it for 18 hours, I'm not going to say it's better than my S5 but what makes it amazing is LG squeezed that 5.5" in that fine build & design.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Good choice. Thanks for the detailed background, it will give a lot of people some insight when searching for phones amongst the latest selections.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Just to add I'm reminded why I love LG. It's the simple things like able to customize the buttons and adding Pull Down.

Not that I have a problem with the size but it makes things so easier.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

frank-barnett

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I did the same calculation myself when looking at the same group of phones. Plus for me, the HTC one was too tall and I was worried about the camera.

And for materials, I pretty much always put a case on so while the HTC is premium, that would not have mattered

Sent from my VS985 4G using AC Forums mobile app

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

I would have included the note 3 in those choices, and it has the removable battery and 32 gigs internal storage. It is bigger, but it does have a bigger screen. I think the g3 is geared more as comparable to the note 3.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Nice write up.

Like many of you I was anxiously waiting for the G3 after seeing how nice my daughters G2 is. It took a little nudging by the other ambassador's but I chose the G3 over the M8 (love HTC phones) and I've been pleasantly surprised.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Why I bought the G3 is simple to feed my curiosity and my smartphone addiction.

My first impressions of the G3 is that its design & build are Fantastic, fitting this 5.5" screen into such a stunning shell is fitting of looking at a curvy woman that has that come hither look :)

OK its just a phone but one that in my opinion has been well designed. The screen (touchy subject) despite if its not to everyone's liking and my one criticism is outside visibility (its not great) but that aside, its one that I like and find it to be very pleasing and a joy to look at. Also reading for lengthy periods seem to be less of a strain and everything looks really good.

Performance on my 2/16gb has been great and can't find fault (feel free to say I'm lying) but there is not one thing that hinders my enjoyment of the G3 in this department.

Camera has been a great performer thus far, lowlight is not brilliant, but its not as bad as others I have used.

Overall I enjoy using the G3, its not perfect but for everything I need and like it fulfils this and a bit more.

ngc457

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I would have included the note 3 in those choices, and it has the removable battery and 32 gigs internal storage. It is bigger, but it does have a bigger screen. I think the g3 is geared more as comparable to the note 3.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Note 3 was not on my list. Reasons: It's last years phone with the Note 4 coming up in a few months. I can wait to upgrade with the right phone. The LG G3 is almost too big for me. The Note 3 is too big and if history repeats itself the Note 4 will be even bigger. G3 has a great design for a big screened phone.

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site

Good article. G3 is a stellar device albeit the heating issues.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Note 3 was not on my list. Reasons: It's last years phone with the Note 4 coming up in a few months. I can wait to upgrade with the right phone. The LG G3 is almost too big for me. The Note 3 is too big and if history repeats itself the Note 4 will be even bigger. G3 has a great design for a big screened phone.

I hear you on last year's model, and I would definitely wait till the note 4 comes out to see what it offers for 2 reasons. 1. You might like it better, 2. The note 3 will go down in price. Now some things to think about, note 3 is almost year old, yet it still holds the hefty price, there's a reason for that. The note 3 is a solid product. The os is more polished then the g3. The note 4 early reports are saying there a good chance it will stay the same size screen, I'm with you there, note 3 is big enough, any bigger I'm out also.

Now I'll show you why when I had the note 2 and got rid if it saying I would not go bigger again, it was to big, and now I'm running a note 3 and liking it. One option got me interested in the note 3 even being bigger. You can adjust the scale of your screen by swiping in and out in the middle of screen and you get this.

ahe7e4ez.jpg

This feature comes on handy a few times. Also one hand operation is a little better on the note 3 over the g3, note 3 one handed operation for dialer includes dialer, and the number pad when you open it up while in call, g3 when you open the number pad while in call it goes to full screen again.

Just wanted to point out that Samsung included a feature to help with one handed usage and let's you enjoy a big screen also for other things. A lot of people don't know about the swipe screen to get smaller screen option, makes a difference.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy